Laptop for University (MacBook)

nunocv

I'm in my 2nd year at University in Portugal studying Computer Engeneer (programming), during the 1st year I had an ASUS that suited me bad, but it worked (Linux didnt work well), so this year in the second semestre i decided to sell it and buy a new PC.

I was thinking about a MacBook Air, because its the cheapest apple Laptop, I dont have money for a Pro new, just used, and I would need to buy it on the UK and ask someone to send me to Portugal :/ so Air is my only option if buying new. What version of the macbook air you guys recomend?

Why did I study Haskell? 

2 minutes ago, nunocv said:

I'm in my 2nd year at University in Portugal studying Computer Engeneer (programming), during the 1st year I had an ASUS that suited me bad, but it worked (Linux didnt work well), so this year in the second semestre i decided to sell it and buy a new PC.

I was thinking about a MacBook Air, because its the cheapest apple Laptop, I dont have money for a Pro new, just used, and I would need to buy it on the UK and ask someone to send me to Portugal :/ so Air is my only option if buying new. What version of the macbook air you guys recomend?

What programs will you be using to code though? If you're to be using Visual Studio, it's going to be a hassle. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Personally I use a MacBook Pro 15' so I feel if you can save up and maybe try to keep using or Asus until you can get a MacBook Pro that would be better. The Air lacks sufficient processor power to accomplish  higher end tasks or you can also look at a few Windows based laptops that might have the same processing power if not more in the same price range. But I guess it depends on the tasks and applications you are trying to run. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

Monitors: 2x Asus TUF Gaming 24" 1440p  144hz, 2x LG  75Hz 1080p LED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB Display: 16-inch (3072 x 1920)

I would recommend the highest-spec model, because it is good enough for most things CPU-wise, but not good enough for games.  The SSD is great, but more RAM should be added. Also, if you need certain programs, you would be better off getting a Windows ultrabook.

Also, if you need this translated, I can try to write it in Portuguese :)

I am not signing.  This is a scam.  You don't get my signature.

-koolkyle

There, now you got it. Go away.

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What programs will you be using to code though? If you're to be using Visual Studio, it's going to be a hassle. 

Oh no, I just use C, Haskell, Java, bash and that stuff!

1 minute ago, bradmonster said:

Personally I use a MacBook Pro 15' so I feel if you can save up and maybe try to keep using or Asus until you can get a MacBook Pro that would be better. The Air lacks sufficient processor power to accomplish  higher end tasks or you can also look at a few Windows based laptops that might have the same processing power if not more in the same price range.

Cant use the ASUS, just cant, too much work to do and I cant do it and stay organized in the Asus... I'm in a need, and I just see the Air as my option... and it is lighter. Btw not my main PC, I have a tower at home

Why did I study Haskell? 

Just now, nunocv said:

Oh no, I just use C, Haskell, Java, bash and that stuff!

Cant use the ASUS, just cant, too much work to do and I cant do it and stay organized in the Asus... I'm in a need, and I just see the Air as my option... and it is lighter. Btw not my main PC, I have a tower at home

Beautiful then that I know you have a tower now, then I guess if your not trying to game or render videos the Air will do just fine for day to day task and light gaming. Just send the specs of the model you were looking at and I can give an idea if you need to boost them! Cheers!

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

1 minute ago, koolkyle said:

I would recommend the highest-spec model, because it is good enough for most things CPU-wise, but not good enough for games.  The SSD is great, but more RAM should be added. Also, if you need certain programs, you would be better off getting a Windows ultrabook.

Also, if you need this translated, I can try to write it in Portuguese :)

I was thinking about the Air 13 8gb Ram 128gb SSD. I wont use it for games... For that I have my PC at home, this is just University and work based.
I need Unix based operative system... Windows is like trash for my classes. 

Why did I study Haskell? 

I wouldn't buy a Mac personally. I'd get a work-grade laptop and use OSX if need be.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, nunocv said:

I was thinking about the Air 13 8gb Ram 128gb SSD. I wont use it for games... For that I have my PC at home, this is just University and work based.

Yeah those specs sounds perfectly fine I would recommends you try to op for a larger 512 SSD and 16 Gb ram if available. 

3 minutes ago, nunocv said:

That seems like a solid selection to me. Don't see anything wrong with it.

Apple should be releasing the 2016 macbook pro soon. However, chances are its march, and you seem like you really can't wait. If you could then you could probably wait for that launch and buy a 2015 macbook pro since the prices would drop. However, that would require waiting and you don't seem to be able to do that.

2 minutes ago, bradmonster said:

Yeah those specs sounds perfectly fine I would recommends you try to op for a larger 512 SSD and 16 Gb ram if available. 

Um.... Macbook Airs don't come with 512 gb ssd or 16gb ram... 256 gb and 8gb is max. Plus what is the need for that much? I don't see any reason he would need that much storage or ram.

EDIT: That would also rack up prices quite a bit. He would just be paying for stuff he doesn't use.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I wouldn't buy a Mac personally. I'd get a work-grade laptop and use OSX if need be.

Did i mension I need UNIX based operative system? And I'm tired of bad compatibility with Linux in todays Windows laptops...

Why did I study Haskell? 

2 minutes ago, bradmonster said:

I was dabating in buying instead of 8gb ram and 128gb ssd, 4gb ram and 256gb ssd, what you think?

Why would I need 16gb ram? :o 

Why did I study Haskell? 

Just now, nunocv said:

Did i mension I need UNIX based operative system? And I'm tired of bad compatibility in todays Windows laptops...

Well, whatever you need. Just don't expect the performance to be as good as  what you can find in a Windows laptop of the same price. With Apple you pay for the brand, not the product

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, nunocv said:

I was dabating in buying instead of 8gb ram and 128gb ssd, 4gb ram and 256gb ssd, what you think?

4GB is unacceptable nowadays.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Apple should be releasing the 2016 macbook pro soon. However, chances are its march, and you seem like you really can't wait. If you could then you could probably wait for that launch and buy a 2015 macbook pro since the prices would drop. However, that would require waiting and you don't seem to be able to do that.

Um.... Macbook Airs don't come with 512 gb ssd or 16gb ram... 256 gb and 8gb is max. Plus what is the need for that much? I don't see any reason he would need that much storage or ram.

Sorry didn't know that, I was just saying if it was possible and, personally I run a MacBook Pro with 16Gb ram and 512 SSD and I run out of space and RAM lol so personally coming from my experience in programming I was just recommending from my opinion.

2 minutes ago, nunocv said:

That would be a good choice I was just recommending from my experience but that should me more than sufficient.

Just now, bradmonster said:

Sorry didn't know that, I was just say if it was possible and, personally I run a MacBook Pro with 16Gb ram and 512 SSD and I run out of space and RAM lol so personally coming from my experience in programming I was just recommending from my opinion.

Ah gotcha. I don't think he will need too much storage though so that should be fine.

Ram... tough to say. 4 gb is definitely not enough nowadays, but 8 SHOULD be fine. However it isn't enough for you, so that seems worrying...

I personally have never gone past 8gb ever, but that's me, and I do different work from you and nunocv.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Well, whatever you need. Just don't expect the performance to be as good as  what you can find in a Windows laptop of the same price. With Apple you pay for the brand, not the product

I see your point, Im not defending Apple, but their operative system is so much better organized and optimized for what I need, that is programming. Performance for me isnt really important, If I want performance I go to my tower, that has windows. Mac for me is equal to Pc for work, that offers good organization and better tools for Engeneering and programming. I hope you get my point

Why did I study Haskell? 

1 minute ago, nunocv said:

I see your point, Im not defending Apple, but their operative system is so much better organized and optimized for what I need, that is programming. Performance for me isnt really important, If I want performance I go to my tower, that has windows. Mac for me is equal to Pc for work, that offers good organization and better tools for Engeneering and programming. I hope you get my point

I see. If only you could load that OS to a ThinkPad, you'd have your perfect machine :)

9 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

EDIT: That would also rack up prices quite a bit. He would just be paying for stuff he doesn't use.

Yeah waiting is not really an option, I will buy it when I sell the Asus, maybe In the beggining of March I will buy the Macbook, but the 2015 Macbook Pro here wont go down In price, well not a lot, And if they do it wouldnt still be in my price range, that it is 1100 € and it is stretching a bit.

Why did I study Haskell? 

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I see. If only you could load that OS to a ThinkPad, you'd have your perfect machine :)

OSX isnt licensed in other products besides Apple, and no support in drivers too :/

Why did I study Haskell? 

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Ah gotcha. I don't think he will need too much storage though so that should be fine.

Ram... tough to say. 4 gb is definitely not enough nowadays, but 8 SHOULD be fine. However it isn't enough for you, so that seems worrying...

I personally have never gone past 8gb ever, but that's me, and I do different work from you and nunocv.

So i should buy the 8gb and 128gb ssd one?

Why did I study Haskell? 

Just now, nunocv said:

OSX isnt licensed in other products besides Apple, and no support in drivers too :/

In the words of the great Pirates, "Anything can be cracked" :)

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

In the words of the great Pirates, "Anything can be cracked" :)

Not really into that stuff, but thanks anyway! :D

Why did I study Haskell? 

1 minute ago, nunocv said:

Not really into that stuff, but thanks anyway! :D