El Capitan + Windows 10 build suggestions

I am trying to decide which root I should go in building a cheap (> $800) computer that both runs El Capitan (or Yosemite), and Windows 10. I am thinking that I either build a hackintosh, or I buy an old (2008-2012) mac pro desktop computer. Odiously there are advantages and disadvantages to both of these. I would be inclined to go with a hackintosh although I don't own any Mac OS running things at the moment so that would be a problem when setting it up.

hackintoshing is interesting in its own way, and dollar for dollar, is better in value but the hardware requirements are super specific, down to bios revisions, so personally I wouldn't venture into that realm. I don't want to struggle with my computer on a daily basis, or take hours to fix simple issues, which often happens with hackintoshes. I would just get the mac pro

but why not just use a windows machine...

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

El Capi10?

Bugghhhhhhh......

*annoyed grunt*

7 minutes ago, tahmidkhan123 said:

hackintoshing is interesting in its own way, and dollar for dollar, is better in value but the hardware requirements are super specific, down to bios revisions, so personally I wouldn't venture into that realm. I don't want to struggle with my computer on a daily basis, or take hours to fix simple issues, which often happens with hackintoshes. I would just get the mac pro

but why not just use a windows machine...

I do use windows, and it is indeed my preferred OS. I am a web developer/coding nut. Having an El Capitan machine would enable me to be able to use a whole bunch more tools in my daily work that are not available for windows. Most all of my partners have Mac computers so this will allow me to use the same tools as them. This computer won't be replacing my main computer. My main computer is stay Windows 10.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

*annoyed grunt*, eh?

I'm just gonna walk over here, and... [bangs head on wall] *annoyed grunt*.

I'm getting mildly annoyed at all the awful puns on this site.

3 hours ago, mpsparrow said:

I do use windows, and it is indeed my preferred OS. I am a web developer/coding nut. Having an El Capitan machine would enable me to be able to use a whole bunch more tools in my daily work that are not available for windows. Most all of my partners have Mac computers so this will allow me to use the same tools as them. This computer won't be replacing my main computer. My main computer is stay Windows 10.

I would invest in buying a macbook for such a purpose, should provide plenty of power to handle most web development/coding tasks and isnt too terribly expensive 1500 for a new retina, used are about 1000. If you prefer the desktop type then mac pro is a better solution. 

But if you like the challenge, and want to take the risk, go for the hackintosh, its an interesting project, probably not the best though for a work computer as that needs to be reliable. 

Check out tonymacx86's website/forum for your parts. They update them each month so you never know :)

Tonymacx86 will help you out a lot.

They have an updated buyer's guide as well!

Overall, when it comes to making a Hackintosh, it is all about making sure you can find drivers for all your components. If you have a motherboard that is not compatible, it is going to be hell... I did that 1 year ago with a MSI Mpower z77 MB where I had to get hold of a custom BIOS in order to get the machine to boot.

As long as you have a motherboard that is supported (check out Tonymacx86's buyer's guide), you are almost set. Apple provides decent drivers for 2xx and 3xx cards, and Nvidia provides for both 7xx and 9xx cards. Nvidia cards have a little better support, but I have experienced that you loose less performance with AMD cards (less optimized drivers than in Windows). 

There are, however, a couple of things you just need to forget:
- Raid is almost impossible on a Hackintosh. You can have a raid array for you Windows partition, but it won't work in OS X.

- iCloud is extremely difficult to set up and get working properly. Some hand-off features work, but not all of them.

- You will be locked down to Intel CPUs and certain motherboards. Not all features will be available in OS X.

Good luck, mate! 

If you want, I can give you a list of parts that should in theory work very well with OS X. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

Thanks for all your suggestions. Is there a way to build a hackintosh without having an Apple computer? If not I think I would go for the old mac desktop and work from there. I don't really want to buy a mac to build a hackintosh.

I would invest in buying a macbook for such a purpose, should provide plenty of power to handle most web development/coding tasks and isnt too terribly expensive 1500 for a new retina, used are about 1000. If you prefer the desktop type then mac pro is a better solution. 

I have considered getting a MacBook, although it would be useless as it would just sit on my desk hooked up to a screen, keyboard, and mouse 99.9% of the time. Also It would be over my budget.

On 16 February 2016 at 4:50 PM, mpsparrow said:

Thanks for all your suggestions. Is there a way to build a hackintosh without having an Apple computer? If not I think I would go for the old mac desktop and work from there. I don't really want to buy a mac to build a hackintosh.

I have considered getting a MacBook, although it would be useless as it would just sit on my desk hooked up to a screen, keyboard, and mouse 99.9% of the time. Also It would be over my budget.

You will need to get hold of a OS X running machine in order to make a boot-device, OR!

- Go to your local tech-shop and ask nicely if you can make a bootable USB from one of their displayable Macs. If you go to an Apple Store, I am sure they will be willing to help you out! 

- Borrow a Mac from someone you know.

- Buy a ready, bootable USB with El Capitan or Yosemite from eBay. You can get them for as low as 5$. I couldn't find any with UniBeast or another boot-loader. It is possible that some systems is able to boot without a boot-loader, and then add it later, but it could fail. 

With that said, if none of the options above is not working, I could make you a bootable USB with UniBeast and send it to you. I don't see any reason that you shouldn't be getting a Hackintosh at this point. 

Data Science Postgrad

It is actually possible to do it without a Mac at all: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-install-mac-os-x-on-a-pc-without-using-a-mac/

You can do the same, but when you have Mnt. Lion installed, you download El Capitan in OS X and make a UniBeast Bootable USB with El Capitan. Then you reinstall OS X. There are a lot of work-arounds man :)

Data Science Postgrad

35 minutes ago, Claryn said:

You will need to get hold of a OS X running machine in order to make a boot-device, OR!

- Go to your local tech-shop and ask nicely if you can make a bootable USB from one of their displayable Macs. If you go to an Apple Store, I am sure they will be willing to help you out! 

- Borrow a Mac from someone you know.

- Buy a ready, bootable USB with El Capitan or Yosemite from eBay. You can get them for as low as 5$. I couldn't find any with UniBeast or another boot-loader. It is possible that some systems is able to boot without a boot-loader, and then add it later, but it could fail. 

With that said, if none of the options above is not working, I could make you a bootable USB with UniBeast and send it to you. I don't see any reason that you shouldn't be getting a Hackintosh at this point. 

I see. So I can do it without a mac. Although this only solves one of the many problems I am going through with building a hackintosh. The main thing is that for $700 (CAD) I can buy a 2008 8 core 2 x 2.8GHz with 32GB of ram off ebay. If I could build a hackintosh that meets those specs for around the same price then I may consider a hackintosh. Although still buying an old mac pro desktop would be a lot more reliable solution for work and stuff (like @tahmidkhan123 pointed out).

11 hours ago, mpsparrow said:

I see. So I can do it without a mac. Although this only solves one of the many problems I am going through with building a hackintosh. The main thing is that for $700 (CAD) I can buy a 2008 8 core 2 x 2.8GHz with 32GB of ram off ebay. If I could build a hackintosh that meets those specs for around the same price then I may consider a hackintosh. Although still buying an old mac pro desktop would be a lot more reliable solution for work and stuff (like @tahmidkhan123 pointed out).

You have to remember that those are 7-9 years old CPUs. Clockspeed and corecount is only a small part of the story when you look at performance. 
There is no doubt that you will get more for your money if you build a custom machine. 

I'm gonna add this video:
Even though it compared the new Mac Pro to a 2800$ hackintosh, I think you get a lot of the advantages and disadvantages of using a hackintosh. 

Data Science Postgrad

I get your point. Do you have any cheap (>$800 CAD) hackintosh build suggestions? I am having trouble finding a cheap hackintosh build.