Kerosene heater warning!

lexidobe

The paint started on fire. No spilled fuel. I took it outside and used the water hose.

20160215_212953.jpg

That's why I use Common Oil heaters when my electric system isn't available.

i lived on a farm during a large power outage a couple years back

in the middle of winter

no generator

no power for 3 days

no heat

no water

no plumbing

and no heaters of any kind

my dad was in mexico at the time, so he got bitched out when he got back

Maybe if you got one that wasn't a cheap POS it would be fine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

5 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

i lived on a farm during a large power outage a couple years back

in the middle of winter

no generator

no power for 3 days

no heat

no water

no plumbing

and no heaters of any kind

my dad was in mexico at the time, so he got bitched out when he got back

What kind of farm has no wood stove?

14 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

The paint started on fire. No spilled fuel. I took it outside and used the water hose.

<snip>

Kerosene is an oil and you used water . . . . . . . Not a good idea, you are lucky it went out.

Why would you buy a heater that is painted, it should be bare metal wherever there is direct heat or flame.

This is the better type for indoors;

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442151_200442151?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters,%20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplaces%20%3E%20Kerosene%20Heaters&utm_campaign=Northern%20Tool%20and%20Equipment&utm_content=173410&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=173410&gclid=CPH1k7Wi-8oCFQYIaQod8WgG3g

173410_700x700.jpg

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, Notree said:

What kind of farm has no wood stove?

probably some redneck house they call a farm Kappa

1010011010/29A

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Kerosene is an oil and you used water . . . . . . . Not a good idea, you are lucky it went out.

Why would you buy a heater that is painted, it should be bare metal wherever there is direct heat or flame.

This is the better type for indoors;

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442151_200442151?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters,%20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplaces%20%3E%20Kerosene%20Heaters&utm_campaign=Northern%20Tool%20and%20Equipment&utm_content=173410&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=173410&gclid=CPH1k7Wi-8oCFQYIaQod8WgG3g

173410_700x700.jpg

It was not the kerosene. It was the paint. Yeah, if it was the fuel itself, I would not have used water.

1 minute ago, lexidobe said:

It was not the kerosene. It was the paint. Yeah, if it was the fuel itself, I would not have used water.

Wait if the heater wasn't lit then how did the paint catch on fire?

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I have a few of those wick type heaters and never had a problem.  How long and how high was it running before the paint flared up?

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Wait if the heater wasn't lit then how did the paint catch on fire?

The heater was lit. I turned off the heater first.

Just now, lexidobe said:

The heater was lit. I turned off the heater first.

Gotcha. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

I have a few of those wick type heaters and never had a problem.  How long and how high was it running before the paint flared up?

It was running pretty low for a few hours. The paint started smoking so I turned it off. A few seconds later, the paint went up in flames.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Kerosene is still used outside of Slavic countries? TIL.

Oh yeah. Its a very slow, clean burning fuel. Produces a great deal of heat. If your careful it makes a great second heat source on your home (if your careful). 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Oh yeah. Its a very slow, clean burning fuel. Produces a great deal of heat. If your careful it makes a great second heat source on your home (if your careful). 

Well, shit. Meanwhile, Alabama's stuck with good ol' wood and camoflauge clothing.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I was careful. 

It was running pretty low for a few hours. The paint started smoking so I turned it off. A few seconds later, the paint went up in flames.

Wow, good thing you were there, I would definitely get ahold of the manufacturer.

If you're looking for a new one, can personally guarantee this one probably won't burst into flames.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200649020_200649020

I was careful. 

:ph34r:

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, lexidobe said:

Bump

Why are you bumping this? 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Why are you bumping this? 

To warn people about flammable paint on these things

2 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

To warn people about flammable paint on these things

Well be careful, mods wont be happy if you bump this indefinitely.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER