$180 GTX 770 worth it for SLI?

Johnmakuta

I already have a GTX 770 and I see a lot of lightly used GTX 770s on Craigslist and I was wondering if buying them was worth the performance. Just to be clear, I was only planning on buying 1.

If you don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. I suggest not trapping yourself into a less than 4gb of VRAM. 2gb is on the way out, 3gb is getting pushed on nowadays. 

Remember in SLI, VRAM doesn't stack, so if you SLI 2, 2GB cards, you get 2GB of VRAM

I'd recommend not to based on the fact that its just a rebranded 680 which is getting to be quite old now and that 2gb of VRAM is really enough any more.

It depends on a few things I guess.. if the games you play support SLI to start with.. If you're talking 2gb or 4gb.. Also make sure your motherboard can even do it.  Lots of them only support crossfire.

If you have a 4gb card, and find another to sli with, sure it's a pretty decent upgrade.

As far as the price goes, 180 isn't bad.. You sure aren't going to buy anything better new at that price anyway.. 

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

If it has 4GB of VRAM, then yes definitely! But if it only has 2GB, while you have a crapton of power, it'll get limited by the VRAM.

~The guy with one 2 GB GTX 680 that wanted two of them but ended up not doing it because of VRAM :P

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7