Am3 in am2+ socket

nanowatt

As the title may suggest i want to know if you can run an am3+ or normal am3 cpu in a am2+ socket.

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Just now, nanowatt said:

As the title may suggest i want to know if you can run an am3+ or normal am3 cpu in a am2+ socket.

No. You can run AM3 on AM3+ motherboards, but that's about it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

No. You can run AM3 on AM3+ motherboards, but that's about it.

I found a bios update saying the following.  Support new AM3 CPUs. Please refer to our website:http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Could it work tho?

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

5 minutes ago, nanowatt said:

You cant run AM3+ CPUs in AM2+ boards, just not possible, but you can run AM3 CPUs in AM2+(and non +) boards if the bios supports AM3 chips. What motherboard do you have?

They use the same pin out and there's a bios that says it supports AM3 CPU's, go check the CPU support list for that specific board to see which ones will work.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Just now, QueenDemetria said:

You cant run AM3+ CPUs in AM2+ boards, just not possible, but you can run AM3 CPUs in AM2+(and non +) boards if the bios supports AM3 chips. What motherboard do you have?

Got an old asus m2n32 deluxe for free and i would like to make use of it

3 minutes ago, nanowatt said:

Got an old asus m2n32 deluxe for free and i would like to make use of it

It looks like the latest beta bios supports AM3 CPU's, although its a beta bios so there's a chance for other issues(and since it uses a nVidia MCP, I can tell you there is a good chance of issues). Personally I would find the best AM2+ CPU you can find that fits your pricerange, but here is the full list of supported CPU's(and a list of the bios needed for each generation of CPU): https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2N32SLI_DeluxeWireless_Edition/HelpDesk_CPU/

1 minute ago, QueenDemetria said:

It looks like the latest beta bios supports AM3 CPU's, although its a beta bios so there's a chance for other issues(and since it uses a nVidia MCP, I can tell you there is a good chance of issues). Personally I would find the best AM2+ CPU you can find that fits your pricerange, but here is the full list of supported CPU's(and a list of the bios needed for each generation of CPU): https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2N32SLI_DeluxeWireless_Edition/HelpDesk_CPU/

Not the price is the problem, but the fact that i am not sure what cpu is the best one among those.The athlon 640?