New motherboard

After I install my CPU, fans. graphics card etc etc, Do I need to do anything else? Install windows again? 

7 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

After I install my CPU, fans. graphics card etc etc, Do I need to do anything else? Install windows again? 

Yes. It might work out of the box, but there's a big chance of having driver problems, so you should reinstall windows.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Yes. It might work out of the box, but there's a big chance of having driver problems, so you should reinstall windows.

How would I reinstall windows 

25 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

How would I reinstall windows 

You would just grab your Windows disc and go through setup again. Make sure you back up anything you care about.

Though I feel I should explain why you would reinstall Windows...

It's not because it just won't work with different hardware or anything, it's because reinstalling Windows is generally easier than wiping drivers for the old hardware, if you even need to do that. Whether you should go through the trouble depends on what you had and what you replaced it with.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

39 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

You would just grab your Windows disc and go through setup again. Make sure you back up anything you care about.

Though I feel I should explain why you would reinstall Windows...

It's not because it just won't work with different hardware or anything, it's because reinstalling Windows is generally easier than wiping drivers for the old hardware, if you even need to do that. Whether you should go through the trouble depends on what you had and what you replaced it with.

I've on windows 10 free upgrade, I don't have a disk 

1 minute ago, josap said:

You try to boot and reinstall from the error screen, it that doesn't work you can just grab a copy of Windows from the windows website.

I've got a windows 7 disc. I could use this then upgrade to windows 10? 

14 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I've on windows 10 free upgrade, I don't have a disk 

Then here's what you have to do.

Create a Win 10 bootable USB and install it. When it asks for a key, skip that step and finish the install. Then, give Microsoft a phone call and exaplain to them that you had to do a motherboard swap (though the other parts are still the same) and ask them to activate your license on the new PC.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!