Ouya

Mosphoran

Opinion seems divided on this. Lots of people seem to think it's just going to be a disaster, but I'm not sure. A tiny Android console which is way cheap to buy and way cheap to develop for (how much does submitting a patch to MS cost these days?), with a processor which clearly isn't as powerful but can output 1080p and probably generate the same level of fun per hour as a traditional console? Frankly if I was Microsoft or Sony I'd be terrified of this console.

Also I'm pretty sure Linus was just using the wrong emulator in that video where he was all like "omg it can't even run mario without lag noobs" - I tried the other one which isn't on the market and it was fine.

I am really looking forward to this console. The main reason is because of the fact that you can hack it.

FX-6300 @ 4.1 MHz; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; XFX Radeon 7870 Core Edition; Arock 970 Extreme 3; Corsair CX600; Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz; Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Zalman Z9 Case

Asus U43F-BBA7; i5-460M @ 2.53GHz; Crucial 8GB(2x4GB) @1333MHz; Intel 520 120GB SSD

Does it mostly just play phone games or are people developing actual console games for it?

I think the success of OUYA really depends on the games, because the market for a new console looks to be really small. If they are going for the whole "best value console" or "cheapest console" notion, they will lose because most people have either a Nintendo, 360 or PS3, if not an Iphone or Android phone. Thus, the games that release with OUYA has to be both A, better played on the OUYA as opposed to any other Android device and B, keep it's value as it always did. Point B is guaranteed, but A is undetermined.

I feel like it is going to be a good deal for the price point it is supposed to come in at. For around a hundred dollars I'm not going to be expecting amazing performance, but it will still surely provide a good time. I feel like it will be ideal for the "party" atmosphere of games like super smash brothers. Not the kind of game that you can play for hours on end every day. But games that will provide a ton of enjoyment for the time you do play them.

I don't see their business model (Pay to upgrade games) as being feasible, unless they are very drastic. The reason I say this is playing games like Planet Side 2 I have not felt like I have wanted to pay at all because I was able to get by with in game money. Maybe a subscription based plan like Microsoft live would be better.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

I think the success of OUYA really depends on the games' date=' because the market for a new console looks to be really small. If they are going for the whole "best value console" or "cheapest console" notion, they will lose because most people have either a Nintendo, 360 or PS3, if not an Iphone or Android phone. Thus, the games that release with OUYA has to be both A, better played on the OUYA as opposed to any other Android device and B, keep it's value as it always did. Point B is guaranteed, but A is undetermined. [/quote']

Well the games are played on a full size TV with a traditional pad, so the experience is immediately miles better than on any other Android device.

• 1 month later...

android for something different than a tablet or phone seems surreal. i'd rather have a little more powerful hardware with a specialized linux distribution

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

• 2 weeks later...

Even if it fails as a gaming device, it can certainly be a good media center especially considering that XBMC has support for Android. The Ouya can work as a client to your home server and all is well. You'll have a tiny box that won't take up much space and be hidden if you choose to do so.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I could be the llinux version of steam box! Im thinking since is android(based on linux) with someone like me who is now all Ubuntu OS comps. i bet you can write an app for this little guy to acess movies and music off a local dektop. Like an HTPC hub that connects a desktop/workstaion that has all your music and movies right to your tv, plus you can play fun little games on it. Sounds like its worth it to me! thats what im hopping for, and eagerly looking forward to it!

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670