Great Gaming Headphones?

TheValhallaValkyrie
Go to solution Solved by Guest Kloaked,

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Have a look here at the open back recommendations that fit your budget: 

Open back headphones would be appropriate for you.

Greetings! I am currently searching for a the best headphones for a great gaming experience. As far as preference for open or closed headphones, it doesn't matter as long as the headphones have great audio. I mostly play FPS games so a sense of direction with the sound is necessary but I also play more immersive games such as The Witcher 3. My budget is open but I am not looking for something that is ridiculously priced such as the Sennheiser HD 800. Thanks for any help or advice. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. :)

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Have a look here at the open back recommendations that fit your budget: 

Open back headphones would be appropriate for you.

Just now, TheValhallaValkyrie said:

Greetings! I am currently searching for a the best headphones for a great gaming experience. As far as preference for open or closed headphones, it doesn't matter as long as the headphones have great audio. I mostly play FPS games so a sense of direction with the sound is necessary but I also play more immersive games such as The Witcher 3. My budget is open but I am not looking for something that is ridiculously priced such as the Sennheiser HD 800. Thanks for any help or advice. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. :)

If you think the hd800 is ridiculously priced then you're going to need a concrete budget.

1 minute ago, TheValhallaValkyrie said:

Try the SteelSeries Siberia 800s....I have these...they're amazing...I forgot I was wearing them at one point

Or the Corsair VOID

2 minutes ago, TheValhallaValkyrie said:

Kingston HyperX Clouds.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

3 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Try the SteelSeries Siberia 800s....I have these...they're amazing...I forgot I was wearing them at one point

Or the Corsair VOID

Hello, I'm not really looking for gaming headsets because most are just overpriced low quality in my opinion. I'm looking for headphones such as something like AKG's, HiFiman, Sennheiser, etc.

Just now, TheValhallaValkyrie said:

Hello, I'm not really looking for gaming headsets because most are just overpriced low quality in my opinion. I'm look for headphones such as something like AKG's, HiFiman, Sennheiser, etc.

Kingston HyperX Clouds, Razer Krakens...something like that...PS4 Gold Wireless headphones are really comfy and really good and are only $100AUD

4 minutes ago, TheValhallaValkyrie said:

Hello, I'm not really looking for gaming headsets because most are just overpriced low quality in my opinion. I'm looking for headphones such as something like AKG's, HiFiman, Sennheiser, etc.

And what's the budget? Seriously, if you think the hd800 is expensive then your budget isn't as open as you'd think.

Just now, iShad said:

And what's the budget? Seriously, if you think the hd800 is expensive then your budget isn't as open as you'd think.

First of all the Sennheiser HD 800 goes for around $1399. I wouldn't pay that price when my PC is $2200. Under $1000 is what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for a V-MODA with Platinum plates for $27,000 :/ Just great headphones under $1000.

6 minutes ago, TheValhallaValkyrie said:

I'll just throw this out then since it's a good go-to, Sennheiser HD558.

If you are willing to go headset, the HyperX Cloud or Cloud Core is a clone of the famed Takstar Pro80 headphone with a detachable mic and for a great price.

4 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Kingston HyperX Clouds, Razer Krakens...something like that...PS4 Gold Wireless headphones are really comfy and really good and are only $100AUD

HyperX Clouds are a great recommendation, the others, are not...

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Do you need a mic built in? If not, don't go "gaming". The Sennheiser HD558 is a great one to get. Mind me asking where you're from? That's a pretty weak dollar wherever you are.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

Do you need a mic built in? If not, don't go "gaming". The Sennheiser HD558 is a great one to get. Mind me asking where you're from? That's a pretty weak dollar wherever you are.

I'm in the US. I guess $1300 is cheap now?!? xD

18 minutes ago, iShad said:

If you think the hd800 is ridiculously priced then you're going to need a concrete budget.

Holy shit stop giving them a hard time.

1 minute ago, TheValhallaValkyrie said:

Did you check out the link I put in my other reply?

6 minutes ago, TheValhallaValkyrie said:

First of all the Sennheiser HD 800 goes for around $1399. I wouldn't pay that price when my PC is $2200. Under $1000 is what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for a V-MODA with Platinum plates for $27,000 :/ Just great headphones under $1000.

Now that wasn't so hard right? Under $1k you have a few choices between lcd2.2f, he560, pm1, and actually hd800 can be found for $1080.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Op has no budget and just said anything that's not overpriced and gave the hd800 as an example when it's one of the few headphones that's worth its price. It would have been impossible for anyone to suggest a headphone when there's no clear budget.

2 minutes ago, TheValhallaValkyrie said:

I never said hd800 was cheap, but just saying any headphones that's not the hd800 doesn't mean anything.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Did you check out the link I put in my other reply?

Yes, I did. Thanks! I was looking into it and I think that the Hifiman HE-400i. It seems they have great audio and for the price it would be great! :)

Just now, iShad said:

Op has no budget and just said anything that's not overpriced and gave the hd800 as an example when it's one of the few headphones that's worth its price. It would have been impossible for anyone to suggest a headphone when there's no clear budget.

If you actually knew how to talk to people, OP was making an exaggeration on how much they didn't want to spend. You way overthought their post.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

If you actually knew how to talk to people, OP was making an exaggeration on how much they didn't want to spend. You way overthought their post.

It's the audio sub, there's no sugarcoating here.

Just now, iShad said:

It's the audio sub, there's no sugarcoating here.

True, but still. You overthought their post. Simply making some recommendations in different price ranges would have been great, or just link to the list SSL put together, which is stickied to this subforum.

Just now, Kloaked said:

True, but still. You overthought their post. Simply making some recommendations in different price ranges would have been great, or just link to the list SSL put together, which is stickied to this subforum.

That's funny, sounds like you're the one who overthought my post. It was not intended as a put down, but for op to narrow down a price range he's comfortable with spending.

Keep it chill guys.. I definitely misread what OP was saying, and I think he's got a pretty good solution now. 

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

I personally use HD 518's to game (open back) and closed back ATH-M40X's for everything else. I use them both with an external DAC/AMP combo from SMSL. I would highly recommend a similar setup to anybody.

33 minutes ago, sobe said:

I'll just throw this out then since it's a good go-to, Sennheiser HD558.

If you are willing to go headset, the HyperX Cloud or Cloud Core is a clone of the famed Takstar Pro80 headphone with a detachable mic and for a great price.

HyperX Clouds are a great recommendation, the others, are not...

I have the PS4 headphones....for $100AUD...they're really good for the price

40 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Yes, their little brother (518's) are very comfortable and sound great. Love 'em.

1 hour ago, iShad said:

Now that wasn't so hard right? Under $1k you have a few choices between lcd2.2f, he560, pm1, and actually hd800 can be found for $1080.

I never said hd800 was cheap, but just saying any headphones that's not the hd800 doesn't mean anything.

Honestly I've been on many forums and never have I seen some one so naturally narcissistic and egotistical. You literally said "if you think hd800's are ridicuosouly priced then your going to need a concrete budget" this is clear implication that you're suggesting they aren't expensive. 

You have literally gone straight to high range flagship headphones, here you are choosing sound profile more-so than quality.

This is poor advise for someone investing in "gaming headphones" we are not talking about somebody with expensive audio peripherals that can utilize cans like hd800's. Maybe the audiophile community isn't "sugarcoated" but that doesn't mean everyone involved has or wants 1000usd+ headphones.

58 minutes ago, iShad said:

That's funny, sounds like you're the one who overthought my post. It was not intended as a put down, but for op to narrow down a price range he's comfortable with spending.

Your social ineptitude becomes more apparent every time you post. You don't seem to see how all your posts aren't valuable and are simply derogatory, belittling and patronizing OP.

You're not as smart and well educated as you think pretty obvious by the way you present yourself. If you were you wouldn't need to be passive aggressive and dismissive and you would help people. After all most of the most intelligent people (highest IQ) in the world are teachers.

1 hour ago, TheValhallaValkyrie said:

For some OK advice. I suggest you look at hd 598/558 or ATH mx 50's. You're really not going to want anything over this for gaming as headsets better than this usually require an AMP/DAC to really reap the full rewards of a good headset. Thus costing more. Personally I own Sennheisser HD 598's and I love them, super comfortable lightweight. If you want a mic maybe Senheisser game zeros or as aforementioned hyper x's.

In general open ear headphones have better quality however have almost no passive noise cancellation.

Goodluck OP.

1 hour ago, throwaway1729 said:

Honestly I've been on many forums and never have I seen some one so naturally narcissistic and egotistical. You literally said "if you think hd800's are ridicuosouly priced then your going to need a concrete budget" this is clear implication that you're suggesting they aren't expensive. 

You have literally gone straight to high range flagship headphones, here you are choosing sound profile more-so than quality.

This is poor advise for someone investing in "gaming headphones" we are not talking about somebody with expensive audio peripherals that can utilize cans like hd800's. Maybe the audiophile community isn't "sugarcoated" but that doesn't mean everyone involved has or wants 1000usd+ headphones.

Your social ineptitude becomes more apparent every time you post. You don't seem to see how all your posts aren't valuable and are simply derogatory, belittling and patronizing OP.

You're not as smart and well educated as you think pretty obvious by the way you present yourself. If you were you wouldn't need to be passive aggressive and dismissive and you would help people. After all most of the most intelligent people (highest IQ) in the world are teachers.

For some OK advice. I suggest you look at hd 598/558 or ATH mx 50's. You're really not going to want anything over this for gaming as headsets better than this usually require an AMP/DAC to really reap the full rewards of a good headset. Thus costing more. Personally I own Sennheisser HD 598's and I love them, super comfortable lightweight. If you want a mic maybe Senheisser game zeros or as aforementioned hyper x's.

In general open ear headphones have better quality however have almost no passive noise cancellation.

Goodluck OP.

Cute, posting from a throwaway.