New rack mount home server plan. Thoughts?

What OS are you using?? if FreeNAS get ecc for sure.

WD is a better brand buy from them look up failure rates and what not.

I also prefer supermicro server boards over other boards but that could be considered preference.

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

6 minutes ago, Secondmineboy said:

I would go for ECC Memory and maybe even DDR4 in case that Xeon Model supports it. Or change to a newer model for the same price range.

Seagate harddrives tend to fail more often than Western Digital ones or Hitachi.

Whats the OS youre considering?

Windows 7 home server

With only 4disks? What redundancy do you plan to use?

Main;Ryzen 2700X, ASROCK X370 KillerSLI,48GB DDR4 2933Mhz, Sapphire 5700XT Pulse,CM SilentPro M2 720W+Fractal Core 3000, Philips 346P1CRH
Server1: Atermiter X99,Intel Xeon E5-2650LV3 12core,56GB DDR4 RDIMM 2133Mhz
Denon AVC-A11XV|UDM-PRO|Zyxel XGS1930-28

15 minutes ago, sybreeder said:

With only 4disks? What redundancy do you plan to use?

raid 6

2 hours ago, TrinityHigh said:

raid 6

RAID6 with 4 disks means you will devote 2 disks to parity - it would be better to use RAID 10 for the same amount of redundancy, and faster performance. And BTW - how do you plan on setting up RAID6? Windows Home Server can't do parity, and neither can the motherboard chipset, and you wrote about you will be using an HBA - which can't do any RAID at all. If you use RAID 10, you should be able to do it in the chipset.

2 hours ago, TrinityHigh said:

Windows 7 home server

that is an outdated and overall pretty bad OS. If you can't afford Windows Server 2012R2, you should stick with normal Windows Server versions, or use a linux/bsd based alternative. If you can get Server 2012R2, you can use Storage Spaces with Mirror disks, which although most people call it RAID1, is really RAID10.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 minutes ago, Secondmineboy said:

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard is about 880 US-Dollars :)

CentOS, SUSE or SUSE Linux Enterprise Server as well as Debian are good ones in case of Linux OS.

What do you plan to use the server for?

money is not an issue. lol. home server. keeping all my video files, music, pictures, etc. :D i like to go over kill for everything

18 hours ago, TrinityHigh said:

After watching LTT video about home servers, I'm planning on building a rack mount home server. Here's the parts list I put together using some parts Linus suggested in the video. Thoughts?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/mCjvgs

That's not bad, but you can DEFINITELY save some money on this project.

Oh and this build also supports ECC.

Here's what I came up with:

build.PNG

Edited by Blucyrik
Forgot to mention ECC.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

13 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

That's not bad, but you can DEFINITELY save some money on this project.

Oh and this build also supports ECC.

Here's what I came up with:

build.PNG

I like it! 

6 hours ago, TrinityHigh said:

money is not an issue. lol. home server. keeping all my video files, music, pictures, etc. :D i like to go over kill for everything

You can get Windows Server for cheap on the Microsoft Software Swap Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/3wxfh5/h_windows_7_8_81_10_windows_server_office_visio/

7 hours ago, TrinityHigh said:

I like it! 

That's a capable build. If you wanted, you could get a dual-xeon system which gives you tons of room to play around with different server stuff. What OSes do you plan to run on this machine?

2x 2670 -- $140

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157352 -- $300. It's a cheap motherboard that gives you lots of room to expand. ASUS has an ATX motherboard with two sockets if form factor is an issue.

4x Kingston 8GB ECC -- $200. You can get better deals on eBay. This memory is on the QVL for the above motherboard. If you get the same part, but the 4GB sticks, you could save money if you don't want to run much else.

The T4 will be plenty for those chips, but if you want the 2U case then you'll need something more low profile

Seasonic s12ii 520W -- $65. You need a power supply that has two 8-pin or 8/4 pin connectors for most server boards, and this is one of the cheapest that has it. I use it for my dual Xeon server, and it's been great. The aforementioned EVGA supply has these connectors as well, but it's a bit costlier.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking