Which keyboard to choose?

Chris030
1 hour ago, Chris030 said:

-snip-

To be honest, if you want 100% keyboard layout, cherry mx browns, and don't need backlighting, just go with a ducky that fits your requirements, or older Das Keyboard (the new ones use shitty cherry knockoffs), or if you don't want to spend much, CM Storm QuickFire XT is also a good choice.

"Euler was a mathematical gangster" - Prof. Edwards Frenkel

7 hours ago, Chris030 said:

Snippet

The coolermaster one I listed has a full-size version as well. Also, if you like browns, don't discount clears, as you make like them even more. They're brown's that are just a little bit heavier, and some people prefer that. They are slightly harder to get than browns and there are less companies that make boards with them, however. But ya, heres the full size coolermaster. It's on the same page but just for clarity I figured I'd provide a link. It's 90 bucks with free shipping and that's about the best price you're going to get for a mechanical that still uses Cherry switches(which basically have better quality control so you're more likely to not have any issues. Whatever you decide to get you'll have to come back and let us see! =)

On 2/14/2016 at 10:08 PM, Chris030 said:

Do you feel a big difference in typing and gaming when using a mechanical keyboard in comparison to membrane ones?

Ok, I'll stay away from Razer :-P

The ones you mentionned are quite expensive, I don't know if I want to spend more than 100€ on my first mechanical keyboard...

While surfing around the Logitech G710+ caught my eye, I don't know why ^^ the price range seems about right (is on sale right now). how is this keyboard? are there others in this price range that are equal to the g710+ or better? it doesn't have to be Logitech

the G710+ is probably the best choice within the price range, I tried the MX brown version and loved it.

@ElectroShock unfortunately I can only find that keyboard with an US-layout and it won't ship to Austria :(

@Takkun i can't find that keyboard (CM Storm QuickFire Rapid) on the german amazon site. If I would buy from the US, the price goes up by a lot & it's shipped in 1 to 3 months.. I only find similar ones: storm quickfire tk or storm rapid-i or storm quickfire rapid kbd (for approx. 135€).

@flashmz I went to a shop today and tried the G710+ again and the feeling was good. I couldn't find any of the other recommended keyboards. After that one, they had the Orion spark, some from Razer and other very expensive (& hyperfancy) ones.. It's on sale right now for 99€ for me

@Chris030, Im buying today the Logitech G810 (for me it's better than the orion spark G910), it costs 160 USD on amazon and it comes with The division for free, meaning that the keyboard itself costs 100USD. it's a pretty good deal if I do say so myself. Even if you don't want the game, you can resell it to gain money back.

the G810 doesn't have a USB socket, but has full RGB + media controllers +  Romer-G Mechanical Key Switches (they say the feal is similar to MXBrown or Cherry Brown).

summing it up:

If you have the money, go for the G810. (but think that you can get money back from reselling the game, so actually this keyboard will cost 100 to 110 USD)

if you don't. go for the G710+ (90USD)

prices are from Amazon.com

3 hours ago, Chris030 said:

-snip-

That's unfortunate, then the only thing that I can recommend (out of the things you listed that are 100% layout) is the G710+. I always valued Logitech peripherals, especially their mice, had some membrane G series keyboards and they've never failed on me (the G15 I sold a few years ago to a friend; is still functioning perfectly).

Even though I don't have first hand experience, given the popularity and opinions, you can't really go wrong with a G710+ in this case.

@flashmz thanks for the information! I've checked that deal and I would come up with gaining money if I would buy the G710+ and the game separate right now.

@ElectroShock thanks. that's what I think I will do.

Where can I get custom key caps to fit with my wanted layout (swiss)?

I've seen the G710+ has 2 USB ends & 1 USB-port on the back of the keyboard or am I confusing something? Do you need to plug in both USB ends or is it just a feature that if you want to be able to plug in one USB on your keyboard, you'll need to plug in both ends?

One of the USBs is just for making the USB thing on the keyboard work, but you can leave it unplugged and the keyboard itself will still work just not it's USB passthrough. I'm thinking the G710+ is the best solution for you. It also comes with a detatchable wrist rest so you may not have to buy one, and it also comes with O ring dampeners, which many people like (they make the keyboard quieter and keys not travel as far) and you can always take them off if you don't like them. Also, an advantage of going with good ol Cherry MX switches is that you can pimp out your keyboard with cool colored keycaps if you want.

2 minutes ago, Takkun said:

One of the USBs is just for making the USB thing on the keyboard work, but you can leave it unplugged and the keyboard itself will still work just not it's USB passthrough. I'm thinking the G710+ is the best solution for you. It also comes with a detatchable wrist rest so you may not have to buy one, and it also comes with O ring dampeners, which many people like (they make the keyboard quieter and keys not travel as far) and you can always take them off if you don't like them. Also, an advantage of going with good ol Cherry MX switches is that you can pimp out your keyboard with cool colored keycaps if you want.

that's awesome!

you know a site to purchase keycaps either to pimp out the keyboard or to change a few parts of the layout?

15 minutes ago, Chris030 said:

@flashmz thanks for the information! I've checked that deal and I would come up with gaining money if I would buy the G710+ and the game separate right now.

@ElectroShock thanks. that's what I think I will do.

Where can I get custom key caps to fit with my wanted layout (swiss)?

When it comes to custom keycaps in Europe, there is not much to choose honestly. From US companies, WASDkeyboards for example, you could buy a completely custom keycap set, with custom legends and everything, the only problem is that they make the caps from ABS, which is not really resistant to our skin oils, which causes them to shine after a while, and loose their texture. Best keycaps are the ones made out of PBT (if you are interested in this topic, look it up on Deskthority wiki). Other option is mech keyboards section on Massdrop.com, you could look there from time to time and maybe find a set that would fit your needs, but that's just waiting and waiting, and maybe voting for some sets that could get featured.

There is no great solution when it comes to custom keycaps with your specific layout. Ofc there are also smaller companies that do custom sets, just be prepared to shell some money for those.

WASDkeyboards full 104/105 keyset: 50$ plus shipping and import costs (because Europe...)

Massdrop deals : depends, 45$ to 85$ plus shipping

Just FYI Rosewill also makes good boards for cheap. I dunno about in Europe but heres a cool backlit keyboard for 90 bucks (at least here in US amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard-RK-9100xB/dp/B00HA2086W/ref=sr_1_5?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455655341&sr=1-5&keywords=Rosewill&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER

I use a K95 Corsair Mech keyboard. I absolutely love it ! It may not be an M-Click, but I don't care. Its sturdy and very nice to the feel. As a developer and a gamer I think I made the best choice (for me that is, since its quite expensive)

Thank you all for your help!

I finally choose and decided to go with the g710+. It's ordered and arrives on Tuesday. I can't wait :D

K70 all day

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

So, I've been using my keyboard for nearly a week and here's my conclusion:

The keyboard feels great. The typing experience is awesome, not too loud, really precise and comfortable (I'm using the wrist-rest and the keyboard is elevated). As for the layout (german), I'm pretty pleased with that, the extra characters I sometimes need are still easy accessible.

I haven't decided on how to use the macro keys though.. seems like my imagination has gone on vacation.. For what purpose do you use them?