Monitor decision - Free vs G - Sync

WhiteSkyMage

Hello guys,

I know monitor decision these days can real tough. I am confused on what to do at this point. Really what's the best choice I got here?

Asus and Acer both have problems with their high end gaming monitors. What is this bad quality control they've got I don't know, but I can't trust Asus that they will release a perfect ultra wide monitor (the PG348Q) without the problems of X34 or their PG279Q.

So if we exclude those 2 companies it doesn't leave me much choice with G-Sync monitors...in fact I got only one I looked at, unfortunately, it's a TN panel, though from Dell. I like Dell monitors, and I am using one right now. It's a 24" 1080p IPS display (U2414H). It is just a great beauty for gaming and video editing and I want the same quality of a panel that is 1440p ultra wide. I don't mind if it is 100Hz or 144Hz. Here is the problem:

http://prntscr.com/a2fwe1

There are NO other Ultrawide monitors other than the ones from Acer and Asus. Well if we exclude ALL Acer and Asus monitors from the list, we get this. Let's say I am looking only for a 2560x1440p gaming monitor with high refresh rate. Watch carefully...

http://prntscr.com/a2g690

I got only 2 monitors left from all the 100. So where are BenQ, LG, AOC, Samsung, Philips in this competition? Are they all sleeping? what the hell is going on? Why are there no other manufacturers making high end gaming monitors when the 2 that are doing it can't get their quality right? Why are Asus so careless about quality, when they want to be the best? I am sure a lot of people have returned theirs cuz of this. Acer also does not want to fix their problems.

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

6 hours ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

Hello guys,

I know monitor decision these days can real tough. I am confused on what to do at this point. Really what's the best choice I got here?

Asus and Acer both have problems with their high end gaming monitors. What is this bad quality control they've got I don't know, but I can't trust Asus that they will release a perfect ultra wide monitor (the PG348Q) without the problems of X34 or their PG279Q.

So if we exclude those 2 companies it doesn't leave me much choice with G-Sync monitors...in fact I got only one I looked at, unfortunately, it's a TN panel, though from Dell. I like Dell monitors, and I am using one right now. It's a 24" 1080p IPS display (U2414H). It is just a great beauty for gaming and video editing and I want the same quality of a panel that is 1440p ultra wide. I don't mind if it is 100Hz or 144Hz. Here is the problem:

http://prntscr.com/a2fwe1

There are NO other Ultrawide monitors other than the ones from Acer and Asus. Well if we exclude ALL Acer and Asus monitors from the list, we get this. Let's say I am looking only for a 2560x1440p gaming monitor with high refresh rate. Watch carefully...

http://prntscr.com/a2g690

I got only 2 monitors left from all the 100. So where are BenQ, LG, AOC, Samsung, Philips in this competition? Are they all sleeping? what the hell is going on? Why are there no other manufacturers making high end gaming monitors when the 2 that are doing it can't get their quality right? Why are Asus so careless about quality, when they want to be the best? I am sure a lot of people have returned theirs cuz of this. Acer also does not want to fix their problems.

LG, as the largest panel manufacturer, probably doesn't want to order any panels from AUO, the company that makes the 144Hz IPS panels. It's unlikely we'll see any LG 144Hz IPS monitors until they are able to manufacture their own. As for the other monitor vendors, they can't get anything differently than ASUS or Acer. They'd be ordering the same panels from AUO. Sure, maybe Dell or BenQ could order the same panels but just implement tighter QC controls and make sure any bad panels they get from AUO aren't put in a product but rejected instead, but the higher the percentage of rejected panels, the less monitors can be made out of a batch of panels. So each monitor needs to be sold for more, since the cost of a batch of panels is spread among fewer monitors, as the bad panels are never sold and so don't pay for any of their cost, and the good panels need to make up for that in sales. If they haven't made a 144Hz IPS monitor by now, it's likely Dell and BenQ evaluated the technology but determined  the yields were too low to sell at a reasonable price without lowering QC standards, while ASUS and Acer were willing to do that. But then again it might be that Dell and BenQ can't get orders due to low supply (because the yields are so low)... There's not really a way for us to know what goes on behind the scenes. But I'd guess that Dell's higher QC standards are precisely why they haven't made a 144Hz IPS monitor using these panels yet.

6 hours ago, Glenwing said:

LG, as the largest panel manufacturer, probably doesn't want to order any panels from AUO, the company that makes the 144Hz IPS panels. It's unlikely we'll see any LG 144Hz IPS monitors until they are able to manufacture their own. As for the other monitor vendors, they can't get anything differently than ASUS or Acer. They'd be ordering the same panels from AUO. Sure, maybe Dell or BenQ could order the same panels but just implement tighter QC controls and make sure any bad panels they get from AUO aren't put in a product but rejected instead, but the higher the percentage of rejected panels, the less monitors can be made out of a batch of panels. So each monitor needs to be sold for more, since the cost of a batch of panels is spread among fewer monitors, as the bad panels are never sold and so don't pay for any of their cost, and the good panels need to make up for that in sales. If they haven't made a 144Hz IPS monitor by now, it's likely Dell and BenQ evaluated the technology but determined  the yields were too low to sell at a reasonable price without lowering QC standards, while ASUS and Acer were willing to do that. But then again it might be that Dell and BenQ can't get orders due to low supply (because the yields are so low)... There's not really a way for us to know what goes on behind the scenes. But I'd guess that Dell's higher QC standards are precisely why they haven't made a 144Hz IPS monitor using these panels yet.

If Dell brought out a 144Hz or higher IPS panel with G-Sync for $800-$1k, I'd buy it assuming same quality as the UltraSharp lineup.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Okay LG and Samung make panels for everyone else. LG 34 inches panels are designed for 75hz anything higher Asus and other are pushing these panel to do more than they are designed to do its a crap shoot. Also Samsung and LG want to sell volume not 5 to 10 thousand 144hz panels they leave that to Asus an others. FreeSync is easy and royalty free for LG and Samsung and why they make there's support freesync in many models since adopting. That's why g-sync is dead except to a small group that want it. Nothing wrong with g-sync it works but it's a nich market more expensive product and you will not see LG/Samsung models. Just got my LG 34mu98-w unreal flawless no rma's either.