Best Windows & Mac network share benchmarking tool

I've Googled around and found a number of different network filesystem throughput benchmarking tools out there, but I just wanted to get some feedback about personal favourites and why. (I want to get some better stats on different types of synthetic workloads beyond what I observe from actual real life day to day usage).

Preach to me people! :-)

k thnx bye

x

WWW: https://nicolaw.uk   CASE: Supermicro SuperChassis 847A-R1400LPB   MBSupermicro X9DRH-IF   CPU2x Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2603 v2 @ 1.80GHz   RAM: 80GB ECC DDR3 1333   NICIntel E10G42BFSR X520-SR2   HBA: 5x LSI 9211-8i 6GB/s SAS HBA 'IT' Firmware   HDD/SSD2x 120GB Kingston SV300S37A120G SSD 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 8x 8TB Seagate ST8000AS0002-1NA17Z 21x 3TB Hitachi HGST HDN724030ALE640 4x 4TB Hitachi HGST HDS724040ALE640 3x 3TB Western Digital Red WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0

Are you looking to measure the network share speed (by which I mean actually reading and writing from/to the share) or the connection? For simple network connection test I usually use iperf, has been quite handy for my needs.

For the sequential share read/write speed, I usually just run a dd command between the two machines. Aside from that, I haven't really done any super-1337-guru-master-haxx0r synthetic benchmarks on my setups to be honest. Curious to see what others do for theirs though.

This was the result when I originally tested my server:

Spoiler

speedtest

But I don't really run a super fancy setup at home (server + backup + the clients, basically), plus my dad is self-employed and needs things to be up and running for his work, so I can't tinker too much with it :D

EDIT:

This was between Linux and Windows though, didn't have a Mac available at the time. But iperf is apparently available for Mac too.

Edited by alpenwasser

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

11 minutes ago, alpenwasser said:

Are you looking to measure the network share speed (by which I mean actually reading and writing from/to the share) or the connection? For simple network connection test I usually use iperf, has been quite handy for my needs.

For the sequential share read/write speed, I usually just run a dd command between the two machines. Aside from that, I haven't really done any super-1337-guru-master-haxx0r synthetic benchmarks on my setups to be honest. Curious to see what others do for theirs though.

The network is dual bonded 10 gig and is running as close to theoretical maximum as I would expect when I test it by just spewing garbage over UDP.

I'm interested in synthetic benchmarks of sequential read, sequential write, sequential read write, random, small files, large files, many large files in a directory, many small files in a directory, a few files in many directories, locking performance, filesystem traversal performance, with and without client filesystem caching etc etc.

WWW: https://nicolaw.uk   CASE: Supermicro SuperChassis 847A-R1400LPB   MBSupermicro X9DRH-IF   CPU2x Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2603 v2 @ 1.80GHz   RAM: 80GB ECC DDR3 1333   NICIntel E10G42BFSR X520-SR2   HBA: 5x LSI 9211-8i 6GB/s SAS HBA 'IT' Firmware   HDD/SSD2x 120GB Kingston SV300S37A120G SSD 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 8x 8TB Seagate ST8000AS0002-1NA17Z 21x 3TB Hitachi HGST HDN724030ALE640 4x 4TB Hitachi HGST HDS724040ALE640 3x 3TB Western Digital Red WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0