My Power Indicator is Too Bright

Go to solution Solved by MajorSpud,
Just now, Rodniz said:

Ive done the same with my girlfriends pc. Remove the front panel, dissassembly the led thingy, put black tape over it and do the whole thing in reverse. A little bit of work, but it will be worth it.

That seems like a good idea. I'll give it a shot. 

1 minute ago, Otomaru said:

I did google it, I just didn't understand what I was reading. So I would solder a resistor into the cable? I do have a soldering iron, so this seems like a good idea. Have any recommendations on where to buy the part?

The power indicator on my case is an incredibly bright blue LED. I'd like to make it a reasonable brightness. I already tried putting sharpie over it a while back, which didn't do very much. Any recommendations?

1 minute ago, nguinn97 said:

The power indicator on my case is an incredibly bright blue LED. I'd like to make it a reasonable brightness. I already tried putting sharpie over it a while back, which didn't do very much. Any recommendations?

Buy a new case :P

electrical tape cut in a circle

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Wouterrinos said:

Buy a new case :P

I'll do that eventually if I can't figure this out.

But seriously, can je post a picture of it?

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

electrical tape cut in a circle

I suppose I could, but that's not the prettiest.

Add a potentiometer before the led

How might I do that? 

Just now, nguinn97 said:

See what I mean? It's like a beacon.IMG_20160211_154146.thumb.jpg.bf98ba1df7

If it's just a light and not a button with a light in it you can put about any small piece of tape on it to cover it as long as the tape doesn't let a lot of light go through.

3 minutes ago, nguinn97 said:

I suppose I could, but that's not the prettiest.

How might I do that? 

You could cut the wire(s) inside, that would get rid of it as well. Or maybe mask the case around it and put a dash of black spraypaint on it.

Ive done the same with my girlfriends pc. Remove the front panel, dissassembly the led thingy, put black tape over it and do the whole thing in reverse. A little bit of work, but it will be worth it.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

Just now, Rodniz said:

I did google it, I just didn't understand what I was reading. So I would solder a resistor into the cable? I do have a soldering iron, so this seems like a good idea. Have any recommendations on where to buy the part?

Just now, nguinn97 said:

You could use a crimps to connect it in

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Just now, mcraftax said:

You could use a crimps to connect it in

I don't know enough about wiring to know what that is.

Have any recommendations on where to buy the part?

Not sure about your local options but eBay or Amazon should do.

I would just add the potentiometer and maybe the low resistance resistor. I find the guide odd but it should suffice. Soldering is not necessary as long as you can get a good mechanical contact by weaving wires and isolating/securing with some tape.

Not sure about your local options but eBay or Amazon should do.

I would just add the potentiometer and maybe the low resistance resistor. I find the guide odd but it should suffice. Soldering is not necessary as long as you can get a good mechanical contact by weaving wires and isolating/securing with some tape.

Okay, thanks.