Can't connect my desktop to University WiFi but my laptop can...?

Blucyrik
Go to solution Solved by sushisharkjl,
13 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

Threw it on the other system, still nothing :(

Do you think it could be something to do with Windows 10 Pro? The link in my original post states that Windows updates MUST be set to automatic, but I already have it set to automatic...

Maybe, but I doubt it - Windows (especially the newer versions) have always been pretty good with supporting basic infrastructure such as 802.1x and drivers.

If reinstalling the program had no effect, would it be practical to reinstall Windows? If you've not got any files that you need that may be the best recourse. Otherwise, try refreshing (which AFAIK keeps your files but deletes desktop programs and resets the system) if it's still available in Windows 10.

10 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

Yes, this was my last resort.

However, the ethernet is limited to only 5mb/s down and up, with WiFi being way beyond that (it varies, but typically over 50mb/s).

I appreciate you guys trying to help me on this, I'll keep trying configurations and such, like finding a different adapter but I gotta get to class soon.

Thanks again guys!

NP! About the adapter - see if you can plug it into your laptop and use that to connect (disable the internal WiFi adapter through Device Manager and get the drivers for the Asus USB dongie, then try and connect). I'm not entirely sure if every wireless adapter supports enterprise security, so it could be that.

Hey guys,

Recently I've been trying to connect my desktop (home server) to my University's WiFi... The weird part is my laptop is perfectly capable of connecting but my desktop can't.

This might be a bit difficult to come up with a solution as my school's WiFi uses a pretty unique way (I think) of authenticating users on the network (I mean, there's over 10,000 devices used actively on the network every day!).

Connecting through my laptop last August (when I started school) was a breeze. I entered in my school account's username and password which uses WPA2-Enterprise authentication, install a ligthweight program named SafeConnect, and I'm all set.

My desktop on the other hand... straight-up won't connect to the network. I'll enter the username and password correctly (I made sure of that), it'll try to connect, but then asks me to enter my username and password again. I've tried resetting my firewall settings, Windows Defender, etc. Still can't connect.

Here's more information on the network: http://www.uccs.edu/helpdesk/wireless/wireless-info.html

If anyone has any idea or solution that would be fantastic! Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my laptop is running Windows 10 Home and the other is running Windows 10 Pro.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

Does it outright say your username/password is wrong, or does it just go back to the login screen without a message?

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

2 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

Does it outright say your username/password is wrong, or does it just go back to the login screen without a message?

It won't say my username and password is incorrect. I've made sure I'm using the right username and password on other machines (Laptop, phone, etc.) All works fine.

It'll say it's trying to connect and verify but returns me to enter my username and password again. I've also used one of my friend's username and passwords and it still couldn't connect.

deleted

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

Just now, Blucyrik said:

It won't say my username and password is incorrect. I've made sure I'm using the right username and password on other machines (Laptop, phone, etc.) All works fine.

It'll say it's trying to connect and verify but returns me to enter my username and password. I've also used one of my friend's username and passwords and it still couldn't connect.

Try reinstalling the authentication program; since it's not returning a credential error I'm assuming something in the program was corrupted.

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

Try reinstalling the authentication program. Since it's not saying your credentials are wrong I'm assuming something in the program got corrupted somehow.

SafeConnect? Normally you install that after you've already connected to the network but I can try to find the download on my laptop and throw it on there.

Just now, Blucyrik said:

SafeConnect? Normally you install that after you've already connected to the network but I can try to find the download on my laptop and throw it on there.

Oh, I thought you put your login into the program which then connects. Try reinstalling it anyhow, it may still be an error with that.

9 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

Hey guys,

Recently I've been trying to connect my desktop (home server) to my University's WiFi... The weird part is my laptop is perfectly capable of connecting but my desktop can't.

This might be a bit difficult to come up with a solution as my school's WiFi uses a pretty unique way (I think) of authenticating users on the network (I mean, there's over 10,000 devices used actively on the network every day!).

Connecting through my laptop last August (when I started school) was a breeze. I entered in my school account's username and password which uses WPA2-Enterprise authentication, install a ligthweight program named SafeConnect, and I'm all set.

My desktop on the other hand... straight-up won't connect to the network. I'll enter the username and password correctly (I made sure of that), it'll try to connect, but then asks me to enter my username and password again. I've tried resetting my firewall settings, Windows Defender, etc. Still can't connect.

Here's more information on the network: http://www.uccs.edu/helpdesk/wireless/wireless-info.html

If anyone has any idea or solution that would be fantastic! Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my laptop is running Windows 10 Home and the other is running Windows 10 Pro.

You have a motherboard or seprate card that accepts wifi correct

Just now, Luke_H808 said:

You have a motherboard or seprate card that accepts wifi correct

Yes, it's an Asus USB-N13 WiFi adapter. All of the drivers are updated though from Asus' site.

I can look around to see if anyone I know has a different one I can borrow, but that'll have to wait for later.

10 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

Oh, I thought you put your login into the program which then connects. Try reinstalling it anyhow, it may still be an error with that.

Do you think it could be something to do with Windows 10 Pro? The link in my original post states that Windows updates MUST be set to automatic, but I already have it set to automatic...

1 minute ago, Blucyrik said:

Just try and use ethernet for now especially if it is a desktop.

Just now, Luke_H808 said:

Just try and use ethernet for now especially if it is a desktop.

However, the ethernet is limited to only 5mb/s down and up, with WiFi being way beyond that (it varies, but typically over 50mb/s).

I appreciate you guys trying to help me on this, I'll keep trying configurations and such, like finding a different adapter but I gotta get to class soon.

Thanks again guys!

13 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

Maybe, but I doubt it - Windows (especially the newer versions) have always been pretty good with supporting basic infrastructure such as 802.1x and drivers.

If reinstalling the program had no effect, would it be practical to reinstall Windows? If you've not got any files that you need that may be the best recourse. Otherwise, try refreshing (which AFAIK keeps your files but deletes desktop programs and resets the system) if it's still available in Windows 10.

10 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

Thanks again guys!

NP! About the adapter - see if you can plug it into your laptop and use that to connect (disable the internal WiFi adapter through Device Manager and get the drivers for the Asus USB dongie, then try and connect). I'm not entirely sure if every wireless adapter supports enterprise security, so it could be that.

15 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

Looks like the WiFi adapter doesn't support enterprise or something... Couldn't get the adapter to work on my laptop.

Thanks for the fix! I'll see if I can find an internal PCIe AC adapter for the system sometime :)

Just now, Blucyrik said:

Looks like the WiFi adapter doesn't support enterprise or something... Couldn't get the adapter to work on my laptop.

Thanks for the fix! I'll see if I can find an internal PCIe AC adapter for the system sometime :)

Personally I use a $20 TP-Link N300 adapter. If there's a computer component shop (NOT BEST BUY) near you they should carry them. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

3 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

Personally I use a $20 TP-Link N300 adapter. If there's a computer component shop (NOT BEST BUY) near you they should carry them. Good luck!

RIP - looks like my adapter doesn't support 802.1x authentication. I think the more premium AC pcie cards work, but do make sure before you purchase. 

17 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

RIP - looks like my adapter doesn't support 802.1x authentication. I think the more premium AC pcie cards work, but do make sure before you purchase. 

Will do. Thanks again!