Rendering Video Causes High CPU Temps

★ Coups ★
Go to solution Solved by ClownFace1511,

You are probably maxing out your cpu usage so therefore its going to heat up. 98C is really pushing it. I'd suggest getting like a hyper 212x cpu cooler. You can pick one up for about $30 and it will drop your temps down to 60-70 if your lucky. I'd ditch the stock cooler if I was you because those temps will hurt your cpu in the long run.

So whenever I render a video my CPU temps rocket up to 98c. Is this safe for rendering? Its the stock cooler, and this is what my motherboard is telling me, I dont know how accurate this is. Turning up my case fans makes no difference either.

I have an Intel I7-4970k.

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

are you OC'd at all, becuase that and a stock cooler are a terrible terrible combination, spend 30 bucks on like a hyper 212 evo, and having your CPU that hot really isn't that safe, at least in my opinion.

You are probably maxing out your cpu usage so therefore its going to heat up. 98C is really pushing it. I'd suggest getting like a hyper 212x cpu cooler. You can pick one up for about $30 and it will drop your temps down to 60-70 if your lucky. I'd ditch the stock cooler if I was you because those temps will hurt your cpu in the long run.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Just now, Jordaneer said:

are you OC'd at all, becuase that and a stock cooler are a terrible terrible combination, spend 30 bucks on like a hyper 212 evo, and having your CPU that hot really isn't that safe, at least in my opinion.

It is not overclocked. Gaming is fine. Is this possible to be a little bit inaccurate? The air coming out of the case doesnt feel Hot, as in what i'd expect 90c air to feel like. It feels Warm.

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

1 minute ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

It is not overclocked. Gaming is fine. Is this possible to be a little bit inaccurate? The air coming out of the case doesnt feel Hot, as in what i'd expect 90c air to feel like. It feels Warm.

Your cpu is pushed harder when rendering so it will be hotter. The motherboard is pretty accurate. Install MSI afterburner to see better temps to confirm. New cooler is the way to go imo.

The air won't be 90c, that would make your CPU 0. It will be slightly warm. Rendering maxes your CPU out, which gaming does not. I'd suggest a new cooler, the stock one really can't keep up.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

I'll look into water cooling. I'm interested in a OC. So if I'm  going to get a new cooler, go big or go home. Amirite?

Also, why does the case fans not help cool it at all? It literally does not even a make a difference.

I'll look into water cooling. I'm interested in a OC. So if I'm  going to get a new cooler, go big or go home. Amirite?

Sure, why not? I would maybe suggest picking up a cheap air cooler in the meantime if you're going to go custom, 98c will not be kind to your CPU over time.

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

Sure, why not? I would maybe suggest picking up a cheap air cooler in the meantime if you're going to go custom, 98c will not be kind to your CPU over time.

I'll get an AIO. Custom isn't really something I'm looking into. Definitely at the moment.

2 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Also, why does the case fans not help cool it at all? It literally does not even a make a difference.

Increasing air flow on the small heatsink wont really help to much. The i7 is way to hot for the small heatsink that you dont see an improvement. If you get a cpu with a larger heatsink there will be more area for the heat to dissipate from. The more metal there is the more air can go through it and therefore cool your cpu better. If your going for watercooling go for like a 240mm aio water cooler. NZXT has a nice one so does corsair, make sure you have room in your case. Dont go for a 120mm because you still wont be cooling it enough.

Just now, ClownFace1511 said:

Increasing air flow on the small heatsink wont really help to much. The i7 is way to hot for the small heatsink that you dont see an improvement. If you get a cpu with a larger heatsink there will be more area for the heat to dissipate from. The more metal there is the more air can go through it and therefore cool your cpu better. If your going for watercooling go for like a 240mm aio water cooler. NZXT has a nice one so does corsair, make sure you have room in your case. Dont go for a 120mm because you still wont be cooling it enough.

I found this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A0HZMGA?keywords=AIO%20cooler&qid=1455144269&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5

240mm ones are pretty expensive. Surely this will do the trick? even for a reasonable overclock?

And I have £56 spare :)

I found this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A0HZMGA?keywords=AIO%20cooler&qid=1455144269&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5

240mm ones are pretty expensive. Surely this will do the trick? even for a reasonable overclock?

Your temps will be lower by a fair bit, but not by much more than a good air cooler.

Just now, ★ Coups ★ said:

You will be getting 80+C with a 120mm. Personally id suggest these ones.

This will drop your temps to 60+
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-Evo/dp/B00TY1AVPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455144479&sr=8-1&keywords=hyper+212x

or if your looking to get really good performance

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NH-U12P-SE2-Universal-LGA1366-Heatpipes/dp/B002TG3K14/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1455144530&sr=8-5&keywords=noctua+cpu+cooler

Close to the same cooling as a liquid cooler but cheaper. I ran a hyper in my old system and it dropped my temps massively. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-Evo/dp/B00TY1AVPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455144479&sr=8-1&keywords=hyper+212x

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NH-U12P-SE2-Universal-LGA1366-Heatpipes/dp/B002TG3K14/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1455144530&sr=8-5&keywords=noctua+cpu+cooler

Close to the same cooling as a liquid cooler but cheaper. I ran a hyper in my old system and it dropped my temps massively. 

Hmm. I really do like the look of an AIO though.

2 minutes ago, ClownFace1511 said:

^Do that. I have a 212 Evo at the moment, and even while rendering for 4 hrs+ I never reach over 52c.

Well you gotta pay the $$ for a good one then. By all means get a 120mm but you will get the same temps as the stock cooler. 240mm minimum.

Then you'll want to go with a 240mm. Just be aware, water cooling is more expensive than air, and slightly less reliable for a slightly better result.

5 minutes ago, ClownFace1511 said:

How in the world is an H60 not near as good as a 212 EVO? 

My legit rig:

CPU: i5 6600k GPU: Asus Strix 1070 RAM: 16 GB of Corsair LPX CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard:  Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Storage: Adata Sp550 120 GB and WD Black 3 TB Case: NZXT Manta Power Supply: EVGA 550 GS Monitors: 2 LG 25UM58-P Ultrawides Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid-i Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB

21 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Are you using Intel's stock Cooler? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Well you gotta pay the $$ for a good one then. By all means get a 120mm but you will get the same temps as the stock cooler. 240mm minimum.

^Do that. I have a 212 Evo at the moment, and even while rendering for 4 hrs+ I never reach over 52c.

Then you'll want to go with a 240mm. Just be aware, water cooling is more expensive than air, and slightly less reliable for a slightly better result.

Hmm. So. I assume the Noctua is better, and is roughly the same price where I live. Is there any other good ones? Black finish would be great. Be Quiet have some good black coolers but they are much more expensive.

Hmm. So. I assume the Noctua is better, and is roughly the same price where I live. Is there any other good ones? Black finish would be great. Be Quiet have some good black coolers but they are much more expensive.

Stove paint man, conducts heat and you can just spray it on.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Are you using Intel's stock Cooler? 

Yes

Stove paint man, conducts heat and you can just spray it on.

Hmm.  xD

I can do that, but I'm always afraid of breaking something. D:

Yes

Hmm.  xD

It shouldn't be too dangerous :P

3 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Phanteks Ph-TC12DX Black edition is the only other black one i could find. The Be Quiet range are amazing and better if not the same as the noctua ones.

5 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Yes

Hmm.  xD

Well I was using my Stock cooler on my i5 4690 and I was getting temps in the nineties. I took out most of the thermal past gone.

Spoiler

IMG_0157_zpsaorugyek.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.