How The Heck Do You Bend Copper Heatpipes?

iamdarkyoshi
3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Ya, I tried bending one using a spring (didnt collapse, it simply popped open) bending the existing 90 degree to point the other direction is not possible...

The piece most likely got work hardened with the existing bend so it will probbaly break if it's bend back more. What are you planning to use the heatpipes for just curious. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

The piece most likely got work hardened with the existing bend so it will probbaly break if it's bend back more. What are you planning to use the heatpipes for just curious. 

Oh just cooling a 3930k and 390x without any fans for less than 100$

There probably is no realistic way for you to bend them without kinking.  At least not while keeping them functionally intact.

My guess is that, at the factory, they are tube hydroformed into the requisite shape, the water evacuated , the working fluid added (assuming it's not just water to begin with), and then sealed.

1 minute ago, ThomasD said:

There probably is no realistic way for you to bend them without kinking.  At least not while keeping them functionally intact.

My guess is that, at the factory, they are tube hydroformed into the requisite shape, the water evacuated, the working fluid added, and then sealed.

I ended up figuring out a solution :D

IMG_20160209_205250.thumb.jpg.cbb8bf11b6IMG_20160209_205314.thumb.jpg.1b7dbc645a

Wouldn't bending them damage the wick material on the inside which could drastically reduce it's ability to transfer heat? I mean it could also just stretch I suppose, I'm not 100% sure.

1 minute ago, Spartancloud said:

Wouldn't bending them damage the wick material on the inside which could drastically reduce it's ability to transfer heat? I mean it could also just stretch I suppose, I'm not 100% sure.

If your wondering or anyone else the wicking material is usually copper itself that is in contact with the walls of the heatpipes, here's some examples:

heatpipe-thermolab.jpg

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If your wondering or anyone else the wicking material is usually copper itself that is in contact with the walls of the heatpipes, here's some examples:

heatpipe-thermolab.jpg

Oh nice, I always imagined it more as the one on the right, the middle one intrigues me. I'm surprised that the groves keep the liquid separated from the vapour, nice picture though it really shows the interior structure well.

1 minute ago, Spartancloud said:

Oh nice, I always imagined it more as the one on the right, the middle one intrigues me. I'm surprised that the groves keep the liquid separated from the vapour, nice picture though it really shows the interior structure well.

I believe the most common is the one on the left since that usually has the highest amount of surface area for wicking up the fluid, the middle is something I haven't really ever seen but I assume probbaly works similar to capillary action. 

I don't get why people just don't get regular lengths of copper tubing.  It's easier on you instead of unrolling and straightening a copper coil.  And for bending all you need to buy is a pipe bender for a 1/4 or 3/4 pipe.  You don't need to buy all that fancy shit.  

2 minutes ago, James1989 said:

I don't get why people just don't get regular lengths of copper tubing.  It's easier on you instead of unrolling and straightening a copper coil.  And for bending all you need to buy is a pipe bender for a 1/4 or 3/4 pipe.  You don't need to buy all that fancy shit.  

That would work for copper hardline as long as it was annealed copper most straight pipes have been work hardened so it will collapse or tear if they are bent, the coiled stuff is annealed so it's very pliable and easy to work with. Heatpipes are a bit more complex with the wicking and low vapor fluid. 

Just now, W-L said:

That would work for copper hardline as long as it was annealed copper most straight pipes have been work hardened so it will collapse or tear if they are bent, the coiled stuff is annealed so it's very pliable and easy to work with. Heatpipes are a bit more complex with the wicking and low vapor fluid. 

Ahhh didn't know that, it's been irking me when I see people have such trouble with material that isn't hard to work with.  My apologies. 

3 minutes ago, James1989 said:

Ahhh didn't know that, it's been irking me when I see people have such trouble with material that isn't hard to work with.  My apologies. 

No need to apologies, but yeah working with copper hardline I guess would be the next level to PETG or acrylic. :D 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

heatpipe-thermolab.jpg

The one I blew up looks like the first one. At least it used to, the wick inside kinda dissappeared... I have never seen the third one though

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The one I blew up looks like the first one. At least it used to, the wick inside kinda dissappeared... I have never seen the third one though

Yeah I think that might be what was common before, looks basically like a solder wick they fit inside the tube.