old + - speakers

Hello everyone,

I just found some really old but good looking bookshelf speakers when cleaning up my parents' house, they said i could keep them ;)

I noticed that they only had a + and a - connection on the back, no power no proper audio contacts, only 2 clamps to hold copper cables (that's my parents' explanation)

Does anyone know if it's possible to use this in a pc? (maybe use a 3.5 inch plug and then split the left and right channels to the according speakers and ground them back to the plug?)

Thanks in advance!

-Gijs

2 minutes ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

Hello everyone,

I just found some really old but good looking bookshelf speakers when cleaning up my parents' house, they said i could keep them ;)

I noticed that they only had a + and a - connection on the back, no power no proper audio contacts, only 2 clamps to hold copper cables (that's my parents' explanation)

Does anyone know if it's possible to use this in a pc? (maybe use a 3.5 inch plug and then split the left and right channels to the according speakers and ground them back to the plug?)

Thanks in advance!

-Gijs

I believe you're going to need some kind of amplifier. I don't know much about audio but just a 3.5mm will produce sound, but not a lot. 

Just now, DaltonM said:

I believe you're going to need some kind of amplifier. I don't know much about audio but just a 3.5mm will produce sound, but not a lot. 

I was thinking the same thing, I just don't know how to go about doing it

The speakers needs to be powered by the amplifier.

+ = Red

- = Black

Edit: Look for a used receivers. Either at flee markets or similar.

2 minutes ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

I was thinking the same thing, I just don't know how to go about doing it

Look up how to use bookshelf speakers on a PC. I would do it and then tell but I have a headache today lol.

Bookshelf speakers are a WAY better deal than PC speakers. They almost always sound better, are bigger, and are cheaper, but there's some assembly required. 

You need an amp(lifier) to drive them. They could be driven by a PC but will be WAY to quite to use. Something like this

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

I would totally try to pick up something like this, it might not be enough to properly power the speakers though. Would still be neat to have it bolted under, and to the side of the desk.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ULRFQ1A

20 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I would totally try to pick up something like this, it might not be enough to properly power the speakers though. Would still be neat to have it bolted under, and to the side of the desk.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ULRFQ1A

Looks good, although I need about 100 watts on each channel... (there's two speakers on each side, one 70W one roughly 25W) Let's see if I can find one...

Just now, BelgiumCastGijs said:

Looks good, although I need about 100 watts on each channel... (there's two speakers on each side, one 70W one roughly 25W) Let's see if I can find one...

Yeah, that's what I thought. Something as small as what I linked would only be able to power fairly weak speakers. I'd probably just look for a small and cheap receiver from a flee market.

Just now, GlassBomb said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. Something as small as what I linked would only be able to power fairly weak speakers. I'd probably just look for a small and cheap receiver from a flee market.

i found this one: http://www.amazon.de/HiFi-Verst%C3%A4rker-Kompakt-SD-Slot-Fernbedienung-CTA-100/dp/B00H0FI64K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455059787&sr=8-3&keywords=amplifier+2x+100+watt would it work?

it's 100 watt's on each channel, so it should be powerful enough, but would I be able to connect it to a pc, and is it safe to attach 2 wires in and 2 wires out? etc etc

Just now, BelgiumCastGijs said:

i found this one: http://www.amazon.de/HiFi-Verst%C3%A4rker-Kompakt-SD-Slot-Fernbedienung-CTA-100/dp/B00H0FI64K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455059787&sr=8-3&keywords=amplifier+2x+100+watt would it work?

it's 100 watt's on each channel, so it should be powerful enough, but would I be able to connect it to a pc, and is it safe to attach 2 wires in and 2 wires out? etc etc

let's say I get a usb to R L cable... or a 3.5mm splitter and a converter (this is for my HTPC setup, I have different speakers on my desk) and connect that to the amp, will it give through some decent audio?

11 minutes ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

Each speaker requires that you connect both the positive and the negative in order for them to work.

And you can simply connect it via your computer using a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

514r36TUc9L._SY300_.jpg

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

Each speaker requires that you connect both the positive and the negative in order for them to work.

And you can simply connect it via your computer using a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

514r36TUc9L._SY300_.jpg

alright, so it should work... I'm going to try it out!