Questions about NAS and Servers

DaKi_B

I am planning on building a NAS to store weekly backups, movies etc. I plan on doing this with some old computer parts I have lying around as well as some new parts, nothing fancy (Quad-Core 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD and 2TB HDD).

I was thinking of running unRAID on it but I have no idea how unRAID works honestly. However I want to be able to use it as a server as well as it being a NAS, can I do that? Would I need to change the build in order to be able to do so, i.e. add another SSD or HDD.

Some other questions:

1. Is my current building missing anything important (Other than PSU, MOBO. I didn't include those since they aren't that important and the mobo does have gigabit capabilities.)
  2. Any tips on building my first NAS

I don't know anything about unraid, but you can definitely have multiple partitions in raid if that sheds any light on the subject.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

You really don't need an SSD for your server, this is only usefull when a lot of people want to use it simultaneously.

Also try looking into FreeNas or Amahi, they are very easy to set up solutions to making your own NAS. 

A quad core cpu and 8gb of ram should do perfectly.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

4 minutes ago, martward said:

You really don't need an SSD for your server, this is only usefull when a lot of people want to use it simultaneously.

Also try looking into FreeNas or Amahi, they are very easy to set up solutions to making your own NAS. 

A quad core cpu and 8gb of ram should do perfectly.

I found a pretty decent SSD for $50 (SanDisk X300 SD7SB6S-128G-1122) so I though I might get it when it's relatively cheap but if I really don't need it I guess I could put that $50 towards another 2TB HDD. So I can run a game server as well as a NAS simultaneously using FreeNas or Amahi? And do you know anything about unRAID, I've seen linus use it a bunch so it must be pretty good.

58 minutes ago, DaKi_B said:

I found a pretty decent SSD for $50 (SanDisk X300 SD7SB6S-128G-1122) so I though I might get it when it's relatively cheap but if I really don't need it I guess I could put that $50 towards another 2TB HDD. So I can run a game server as well as a NAS simultaneously using FreeNas or Amahi? And do you know anything about unRAID, I've seen linus use it a bunch so it must be pretty good.

I am not familiar with unraid, sorry. You can run a game server as well as a NAS on FeeNas as far as I know. I know it is possible to run a mediaserver like plex, or a teamspeak server, but you would have to google to find out whether the game you want to host is possible. There are a lot of guides, and a forum, where you can find lots of information. I have included a pdf which you should definitvely read if you are thinking about FreeNas. A lot of the information is also applicable to other server solutions as well. I will (hopefully) be building a FreeNas server somewhere this month, so if you have questions just DM me :)

It also talks about ZILs, which is what the SSD is for. I don't have any experience with running game servers though, but I think you'll be able to find a lot of info on the forums.

FreeNAS Guide 9.2.1.pdf

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

20 hours ago, martward said:

I am not familiar with unraid, sorry. You can run a game server as well as a NAS on FeeNas as far as I know. I know it is possible to run a mediaserver like plex, or a teamspeak server, but you would have to google to find out whether the game you want to host is possible. There are a lot of guides, and a forum, where you can find lots of information. I have included a pdf which you should definitvely read if you are thinking about FreeNas. A lot of the information is also applicable to other server solutions as well. I will (hopefully) be building a FreeNas server somewhere this month, so if you have questions just DM me :)

It also talks about ZILs, which is what the SSD is for. I don't have any experience with running game servers though, but I think you'll be able to find a lot of info on the forums.

FreeNAS Guide 9.2.1.pdf

Thanks, I'll check it out :)