Set 2x1TB ssd as stripe or mirror drives

Bajantechnician
3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

so what should I set it as.....

Thanks

Do you want redundancy or speed?

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Well. Do you want saftey, or speed and size?

Raid0 for max storage but if one drive fails, you lose all your data.

Raid1 for storage and speed of one drive, but in the case of one SSD failing, you are warned of the incident, and can replace it and problem solved. No data lost

Just now, SinisterHumanoid said:

Raid1 for storage and speed of one drive, but in the case of one SSD failing, you are warned of the incident, and can replace it and problem solved. No data lost

raid 5?

^up one post

4 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

raid 5?

^up one post

I believe Raid5 is MUCH slower, requires at least 4 drives, and works like both 1 and 0. Stripes two drives, and then mirrors onto the other two

Edit: Three drives at least, and what I said was wrong... Ignore me. Here's this 

4 minutes ago, SinisterHumanoid said:

I believe Raid5 is MUCH slower, requires at least 4 drives, and works like both 1 and 0. Stripes two drives, and then mirrors onto the other two

Edit: Three drives at least, and what I said was wrong... Ignore me. Here's this 

will it be a waste for the 2ssds?

2 minutes ago, SinisterHumanoid said:

Actually you only need 3 drives for RAID5. Although you can use more. The original poster may want to look at this for a description of the different raid levels (many of which will require a raid controller of some type)

If you are using it for storage of data and can survive with only one gig I would go with a raid 1 simply to be safe from a single drive failure. If I was using it for storing games and stuff and wasn't concerned about the safety of data from a drive failure I would go with raid 0 as the read write performance is faster than a single drive and have the ability to store 2 gb of data instead of one. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

4 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

will 2x1tb ssd and 1x1tb hdd raid 5?

It will work ( raid 5 needs at least 3 drives), but you shouldn't be mixing hdds and ssds. But in the case of raid 5, all but one of the drives will be working, whereas the last one will be used for redundancy when one of the active drives fail. So in your case, your 2 ssds will be active and your hdd will be inactive and be used for redundancy when 1 ssd fails.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

will it be a waste for the 2ssds?

In my opinion? No. My dream machine would have a set up of.. 

2x 500GB SSD's (Raid1)

1x 1TB SSD (Unraided, game storage, easily re-downloaded encase a fail)

And

1x 2TB HDD (Unraided, media storage)

2 minutes ago, Papakuma said:

Actually you only need 3 drives for RAID5. Although you can use more. The original poster may want to look at this for a description of the different raid levels (many of which will require a raid controller of some type)

If you are using it for storage of data and can survive with only one gig I would go with a raid 1 simply to be safe from a single drive failure. If I was using it for storing games and stuff and wasn't concerned about the safety of data from a drive failure I would go with raid 0 as the read write performance is faster than a single drive and have the ability to store 2 gb of data instead of one. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

Yeah  I fixed my post. I was thinking of Raid6 I believe.

26 minutes ago, SinisterHumanoid said:

BC i dont want to waste the ssds,

i want oth speed and redundancy

4 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

BC i dont want to waste the ssds,

i want oth speed and redundancy

In your current situation you have to choose one or the other.

If redundancy with half of your total space is ok then do raid 1.

If faster speed and maximum total space without redundancy is ok then do raid 0.

The only way you are going to get both would be to do a raid 10 which would require a minimum of 4 identical drives but you would still get only half of your total storage space but you would have fast transfer speed and redundancy.  

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

7 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

Well, my opinion on this would be to use the drives independently. Here's a few reasons why:

- RAID0 (or Striped arrays) offer zero redundancy and an increased risk of losing your data. This means that if either of those drives fails, drops out or gets corrupted for any reason whatsoever you would lose all data on all drives in the array. Besides that, RAID0 offers good boost (around 85%) to the sequential read/write speeds but has little effect on the random read/write speeds which have much bigger effect on your daily computer usage. 

- RAID1 (or Mirrored array) gives you almost no speed increase (besides a small increase in some read speeds) and you lose one SSD worth of storage space just for data redundancy. Have in mind that RAID1 gives redundancy, not a Backup. In case you delete, change or corrupt data on your drive this automatically affects the second drive and the data there changes too with no chance of recovering it. 

- RAID generally limits all drives in the array to the speed of the slowest and the capacity of the smallest one in the array. This means that if you use those two SSDs with a single HDD would would limit the speed of those SSDs to about 30% of it and there's a huge chance of a drive dropping out of that RAID5 array.

My suggestion would simple be to use those SSDs separately and configure a backup plan for your important files and folders to an external drive for the best data redundancy and backup. :)

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

5 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there :)

Well, my opinion on this would be to use the drives independently. Here's a few reasons why:

- RAID0 (or Striped arrays) offer zero redundancy and an increased risk of losing your data. This means that if either of those drives fails, drops out or gets corrupted for any reason whatsoever you would lose all data on all drives in the array. Besides that, RAID0 offers good boost (around 85%) to the sequential read/write speeds but has little effect on the random read/write speeds which have much bigger effect on your daily computer usage. 

- RAID1 (or Mirrored array) gives you almost no speed increase (besides a small increase in some read speeds) and you lose one SSD worth of storage space just for data redundancy. Have in mind that RAID1 gives redundancy, not a Backup. In case you delete, change or corrupt data on your drive this automatically affects the second drive and the data there changes too with no chance of recovering it. 

- RAID generally limits all drives in the array to the speed of the slowest and the capacity of the smallest one in the array. This means that if you use those two SSDs with a single HDD would would limit the speed of those SSDs to about 30% of it and there's a huge chance of a drive dropping out of that RAID5 array.

My suggestion would simple be to use those SSDs separately and configure a backup plan for your important files and folders to an external drive for the best data redundancy and backup. :)

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions :)

Captain_WD.

So I have a 1tb Samsung evo and a 1th Samsung pro

So I'll just use the hdd seperatelyseperately

I use RAID 0 with two SSDs and do nightly backups to an external HDD. Been doing it for about two years with no problems. You really can tell a difference in overall system responsiveness, apps load much faster and browser caching is much improved.

Just my .02....as long as you have a good backup then don't be afraid to experiment!

Good luck!

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

12 minutes ago, middleclasspoor said:

I use RAID 0 with two SSDs and do nightly backups to an external HDD. Been doing it for about two years with no problems. You really can tell a difference in overall system responsiveness, apps load much faster and browser caching is much improved.

Just my .02....as long as you have a good backup then don't be afraid to experiment!

Good luck!

Probably what i will do.

thabjs

19 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

~snip~

As @middleclasspoor pointed out, it's a great idea to experiment and see what fits your needs as long as you have a secure backup. :)
I have to point out that the two SSDs that you listed have different firmware and this might cause problems in a RAID array since differences in firmware could cause drive dropouts and data corruption. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

1 hour ago, Captain_WD said:

As @middleclasspoor pointed out, it's a great idea to experiment and see what fits your needs as long as you have a secure backup. :)
I have to point out that the two SSDs that you listed have different firmware and this might cause problems in a RAID array since differences in firmware could cause drive dropouts and data corruption. :)

Captain_WD.

AHCI mode then?

as 2 seperate drives

21 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

~snip~

Yes, although RAID mode would work just as fine, AHCI should be the most appropriate choice and the drives should be used as they are. :)

Post back if you need configuring them.

Captain_WD.

5 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Yes, although RAID mode would work just as fine, AHCI should be the most appropriate choice and the drives should be used as they are. :)

Post back if you need configuring them.

Captain_WD.

I cant find the AHCI in bios,

godlike gaming x99 mobo

20 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

~snip~

Check the manual of the motherboard, it should have a guide on how to do that. https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/X99A-GODLIKE-GAMING.html#down-manual

Captain_WD.