Background Noise - What part could be bad?

Sir Wolff
Go to solution Solved by Sir Wolff,

Ok, sorry this took so long but I had some trouble... I tested every single component on its own and everything was fine. My PSU still rattled a litte but I thing this was the fan. Everything set up out of my case had no noise issues but as soon as I put it back in I have them. At first I thought the IO Shield caused it, but now without it I still have noise (a lot less but still present). Also I managed to kill a RAM slot somehow - so a new motherboard it is. To be on the safe side I will change my PSU too (It sems to be fine, but I really don't like the rattling fan anyways).

Hopefully the new parts won't make any noise!

Still, thank you for your help and a good day!

1 minute ago, Sir Wolff said:

@Dackzy wow, I am sorry!

Do electrical interferences on my board make my PSU make leaking gas bottle sounds?

Where could those interferences come from?

I dont hope that your psu says anything.

There are many things that can happen so you end up with interferences it's kinda hard to tell when I can't look at the system in person and try different things out.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I dont hope that your psu says anything.

Well, I think it does... In my 3. post (Post No.5) I attached a sound sample of the noise. No other component makes noise but I can hear similar noise from any 3.5mm jack when I plug in any speaker (sample in very first post).

Just now, Sir Wolff said:

Well, I think it does... In my 3. post (Post No.5) I attached a sound sample of the noise. No other component makes noise but I can hear similar noise from any 3.5mm jack when I plug in any speaker (sample in very first post).

Oh god 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

11 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Oh god 

So do you think this is bad and I should change my PSU? Or is it any other Component?

So do you think this is bad and I should change my PSU? Or is it any other Component?

I have no idea man that is the first time I have heard that and I have heard alot of weird things from a pc.

1 hour ago, Sir Wolff said:

@Dackzy wow, I am sorry! #Edit: Thanks but no, I don't want a dac+amp solution.

Do electrical interferences on my board make my PSU make leaking gas bottle sounds?

I can not remove any other device from my board, since I have a CPU without integrated graphics. My case is closed without any window and stands away from any wall with only 1 Monitor, my USB-Mixer and Power plugged into it. No HDD, no Case fans, no CPU fan. I have a modular PSU so I only have the neccessary cables in use. Everything is tied up properly in one straight line behind the back of my case.

So is the sound coming from the PSU physically? Or is it coming through the audio output as well? Let's try to keep it simple.

I also still need you to reboot into safe mode. A clean install of windows will still load drivers, some of which may be problematic. I don't think this is likely, but the simplest way to eliminate the possibility is a safe mode reboot. If you don't know how, figure it out; it's a basic feature of windows that you should know how to use.

@SSL yes, the sound is coming from the PSU physically (you can hear it from ~40cm away), but a very similar noise is coming out of the audio outputs.

I booted up in safe mode and the hissing was nearly gone, but there were still beeping and crackling noises (reminded me a lot of R2-D2).

@SSL yes, the sound is coming from the PSU physically (you can hear it from ~40cm away), but a very similar noise is coming out of the audio outputs.

I booted up in safe mode and the hissing was nearly gone, but there were still beeping and crackling noises (reminded me a lot of R2-D2).

Okay. Beeping and crackling suggests that there may be something on the software side that is at least being affected.

Can you download the DPC Latency checker and run it? It should be linked from the interference guide in my signature. You'll need to check for spikes or elevations when the noise is occurring.

@SSL how do I start DPC Latency Checker in safe mode? It seems to be blocked by the disabled audio-service (Error Code 0x0000043C) which I can not start. The sounds I hear in safe mode are the apparently well known mouse&keyboard / input noises, as well as opening windows/controls and loading stuff from the drives - so nearly every action produces noise.

I use Windows 10 so in normal mode my latency hovers between 1300 and 1500.

2 hours ago, Sir Wolff said:

@Dackzy wow, I am sorry! #Edit: Thanks but no, I don't want a dac+amp solution.

I can not remove any other device from my board, since I have a CPU without integrated graphics. My case is closed without any window and stands away from any wall with only 1 Monitor, my USB-Mixer and Power plugged into it. No HDD, no Case fans, no CPU fan. I have a modular PSU so I only have the neccessary cables in use. Everything is tied up properly in one straight line behind the back of my case.

Since you are not running your onboard sound, have you been able to disable it (in BIOS)? In normal mode is fine.

@SSL the thing is: I want to use it, but I can't because of the noise. My first thought was getting a soundcard because this could simply be a problem of onboard sound but now I am concerned about my components. I don't want my PSU to fail on me and take other components with it. BeQuiet produces no cheap crap, but it still could be a bad unit I have. If it is my mainboard - even worse.

@SSL the thing is: I want to use it, but I can't because of the noise. My first thought was getting a soundcard because this could simply be a problem of onboard sound but now I am concerned about my components. I don't want my PSU to fail on me and take other components with it. BeQuiet produces no cheap crap, but it still could be a bad unit I have. If it is my mainboard - even worse.

So let's move to slightly more drastic diagnostic measures.

• Move your PC to a different circuit (kitchen or bathroom GFCI preferred)
  • Unplug/remove/uninstall/disable everything not related to audio: GPU, display, peripherals, front audio and USB headers
  • Re-seat your motherboard: make sure that it is properly grounded on the IO plate, not shorting out, and that all cables are inserted firmly in their correct locations
  • Test the power supply outside of your system and disconnected from all components

If you want to proceed with trying to find the issue, I'll need an exact response of the result of each item above. If you'd rather, you can just start RMA'ing components until you figure out which is the culprit - assuming that it is actually one of the components in your PC.

So I tested it on nearly any power outlet in my house - no change.

I unplugged everything I can, but I could not remove my GPU - my xeon doesn't have integrated graphics and my pc wouldn't start without. But with everything else unplugged I still got noises.

I will test the other two options tomorrow, but I rebuilt the entire PC just recently - noise has been present before and after the rebuild. Can you bridge the modular PSU directly at the outputs (without any cable)?

So I tested it on nearly any power outlet in my house - no change.

I unplugged everything I can, but I could not remove my GPU - my xeon doesn't have integrated graphics and my pc wouldn't start without. But with everything else unplugged I still got noises.

I will test the other two options tomorrow, but I rebuilt the entire PC just recently - noise has been present before and after the rebuild. Can you bridge the modular PSU directly at the outputs (without any cable)?

I don't know why not, it would work just as well with the cable, however.

If the problem has been persistent between rebuilds, what hasn't changed?

• Same case?
  • Same motherboard?
  • Same PSU?

I kept nearly all components the same - I removed my CD/DVD Drive, 2 HDDs (switched to SSD) removed all dust and applied new thermal paste. Also I rerouted all cables so they don't induct into my mainboard from the backside but that's it.

I kept nearly all components the same - I removed my CD/DVD Drive, 2 HDDs (switched to SSD) removed all dust and applied new thermal paste. Also I rerouted all cables so they don't induct into my mainboard from the backside but that's it.

Well go ahead and test the PSU.

Ok, sorry this took so long but I had some trouble... I tested every single component on its own and everything was fine. My PSU still rattled a litte but I thing this was the fan. Everything set up out of my case had no noise issues but as soon as I put it back in I have them. At first I thought the IO Shield caused it, but now without it I still have noise (a lot less but still present). Also I managed to kill a RAM slot somehow - so a new motherboard it is. To be on the safe side I will change my PSU too (It sems to be fine, but I really don't like the rattling fan anyways).

Hopefully the new parts won't make any noise!

Still, thank you for your help and a good day!