BOOTMGR is missing.

Jorj
Go to solution Solved by fawncashew,

I had this problem about two weeks ago (because I unselected my OS partition as active), ended up just being easier to take my drive out, re-install widows, and then put it back in and copy across. Just a suggestion, Im not as genius so there is probably a quicker way

As the title says, I've been getting these messages when turning on the pc. It says that BOOTMGR is missing press Ctrl+Del+Alt to reboot. How did this happen you might ask. Well I've been very careless about the settings of windows because of group policy things and today I might have disabled recovery and tweaked some settings in kernel something(I don't really remember). Oh and before anyone suggests to go to recovery of windows that comes from the installation cd, that's the problem, I can't find the installation cd. Advanced thanks to those who will answer.

TL;DR

"BOOTMGR is missing, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot" shows up everytime. Help

Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

I've just seen a video and it seems that booting from a live gparted disk and setting the boot flag on the "System Reserved" might help.

EDIT: I also faced this problem when I was 10 because I tried to edit the boot logo, I had no choice but formatting because I was (or maybe I still am :P) a noob.

2 minutes ago, Raffy98 said:

Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

I've just seen a video and it seems that booting from a live gparted disk and setting the boot flag on the "System Reserved" might help.

Thanks man, can you link the video to me? Also can you explain what you just said? I'm a little lost about the terms and other stuff that you just said.

I had this problem about two weeks ago (because I unselected my OS partition as active), ended up just being easier to take my drive out, re-install widows, and then put it back in and copy across. Just a suggestion, Im not as genius so there is probably a quicker way

12 minutes ago, Jorj said:

Thanks man, can you link the video to me? Also can you explain what you just said? I'm a little lost about the terms and other stuff that you just said.

It's here.
It's in Italian, but following what he is doing should be enough. (Except at 3:46 where he choices the language)

The "System Reserved" partition contains some boot data for the OS, flagging as boot i'm not really sure what it means so... instead of risking telling you something wrong I'll just let the experts tell you! :) Or if you're really interested some research could be helpful.

6 minutes ago, fawncashew said:

Surprisingly, I have my older hard drive lying around. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

3 minutes ago, Raffy98 said:

It's here.
It's in Italian, but following what he is doing should be enough. (Except at 3:46 where he choices the language)

The "System Reserved" partition contains some boot data for the OS, flagging as boot i'm not really sure what it means so... instead of risking of telling you something wrong I'll just let the experts tell you! :) Or if you're really interested some research could be helpful.

And thank you too, I'll try this first before trying to install windows again. 

I'll update you guys when I finish trying these things. Again thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ohmygod, I forgot to update my thread! T_T 

Basically what happened is that @Raffy98's solution was too complicated (at least for me) for the time being because I badly needed my computer for the next couple of hours. So instead I went for @fawncashew's solution and it did the job in less than an hour including copying files over to the previous OS drive. 

Sorry for super late update. Schoolworks are really getting into me and thanks for the help guys. :)