Is Microsoft Office worth paying for?

What do you guys think about paying for a word processor like MS Word? Are there any free alternatives that are just as good? I've tried Open Office but it doesn't have a live word counter which I find extremely useful. LibreOffice has one but the program overall isn't as nice as Word.

it is worth it

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Well, it's up to you if you want the features that free software doesn't deliver. I personally use free software because it pretty much gets the job done. I don't use office programs much though.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

If you only need a Word processor, the Word Pad in Windows is nice (7 & up)

Apache Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org

Google Drive has the nice Word processor built in.

KOffice - http://www.koffice.org

Jarte Word Processor (good from what I hear) - http://www.jarte.com

WordGraph - http://www.ssuitesoft.com/wordgraph.htm

I personally use my Google Drive for most word docs even though I have a copy of Microsoft Office installed.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I just like the look of MS Office (especially Office 2013) as it looks awesome compared to free versions like OpenOffice which look horrible. However, I'm interested in knowing the actual software feature differences between LibreOffice/OpenOffice etc. and Microsoft Word. Does it have any features that the free ones don't?

I use office all the time for schoolwork, so for me it is definatly worth it, well we basicly have to have it. My dad got the full package for extremely cheap from his work.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I use office all the time for schoolwork, so for me it is definatly worth it, well we basicly have to have it. My dad got the full package for extremely cheap from his work.

How much did it cost :)

How much did it cost :)

He got the office 2010 proffesional plus, which costs i think like 400 dollars or more, for around 100-200 dkr (20-40 bucks) i think. And it also included 5 keys. One hell  of a deal.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

He got the office 2010 proffesional plus, which costs i think like 400 dollars or more, for around 100-200 dkr (20-40 bucks) i think. And it also included 5 keys. One hell  of a deal.

That's actually a lot of money as all I want is MS word :P Is there a way to buy it separately? I only use Powerpoint and Excel occasionally. 

I don't think its worth it. Unless you're a student, need it, and would like full version of it everywhere with you. Otherwise, I use hotmail.com/live.com. Hosted by microsoft, all the software available through browser, that how I do all my work, and save it on the cloud storage that is also available. 

So what's the difference in features between LibreOffice and MS Word

Here is an exert for anyone wondering on the Word processor note;

"After using both for a couple weeks, I didn't notice any major features missing in either. Writer is a capable word processor that does pretty much everything Word can do and more. In fact, we picked Writer as the best word processor for Windows. If a word processor is all you really need, then Writer will do everything Word can do and more."

So that is a plus for LibreOffice right there.

Also since you commented about the looks, here is another thing from one of the reviews;

LibreOffice also supports extensions, which means you can customize the look, features, and feel of the suite to suit your needs.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix

Here is an exert for anyone wondering on the Word processor note;

So that is a plus for LibreOffice right there.

Also since you commented about the looks, here is another thing from one of the reviews;

Why is it free if it's better than Word? Just curious.

Why is it free if it's better than Word? Just curious.

It's just one of those things, ya know? Just how you can spend $60 for a game and play it every so often or you can download League of Legends for free and it's the same quality of a game as the $60 game. The joys of the internet is someone out there is a cheap ass and didn't want to pay for Office so they did the right thing and made their own version to compete :)

I managed to get a copy of Office Business from my Mum as she worked in schools so it had to be provided in order for her to work. If you can't get a copy of Business from a friend or relative it's not worth it.

Considering its 70$ for a 2013s physical copy for Students and Home users where I am, definitely yes! :)

PC in Profile