is it worth upgrading?

jstjohn91

Hello, i have a MSI H61M-E33 (B3) (socket 1155) motherboard, 8GB of DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM, Pentium G2030 3.0 GHz dual core processor and an EVGA GTX 560 Ti graphics card. i am into first person shooters and i use AutoCAD 2015, Inventor and Revit. I was wondering if it is worth the money to upgrade to a better cpu, and if so, which one. or if i should buy a whole new platform.  thank you

I'd suggest you should just buy a whole new system if you really want to get a better performance.

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

I'd go on ebay to try to find a used LGA 1155 CPU. You can find i5s and i7s for some good prices there. Unless you want to get a newer generation of processors, of course. Your current amount of RAM is fine, but of course adding more never really hurts. As for your GPU, it's not awful, but thats depending on what kind of games you want to play. I suggest searching your GPU on YouTube to find benchmarks on various games so you can get an idea of performance.

if you feel ebay savy you would only need a cpu and a graphics card upgrade

i would recomend a 3770 or a 3570  cpu as they are compadable with you current motherboard

they looked to be not bad price and arent much slower than current genarations and would get more benifit form moving from dual to quad core

and for your graphics card it would depen on how your cad program uses it and how much you wanted to spend . you could compare what you have now to what you can afford on a website called gpu boss

http://gpuboss.com/

Agreed with the 3770 recommendation.  It's still a relevant cpu(at least I'm still very content with mine) and would be much cheaper than replacing a motherboard too.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

I would upgrade to skylake with a new Graphics card. a new Pentium G4500 would even do you a lot better.. you can even upgrade to say a 6600k later on. and you can grab a GTX 970 or R9 390ish on a good sale recently. if you can I would do something like this and salvage what you can from your old rig if you aren't going to sell it. 

Ideally get something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FDXT8d

or if you would want to spend less, go for something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CftwNG (no overclocking) or this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YPLhWZ (overclocking and upgradablility)

Thank you all for the help, i am going with Beeeyeee's middle suggestion, the Core i5 6500 setup. after thinking about it, i am spending more, but it will get me to an up to date platform with greater upgradability down the line. Plus who dont love a quad core with some DDR4 memory.

11 minutes ago, jstjohn91 said:

Thank you all for the help, i am going with Beeeyeee's middle suggestion, the Core i5 6500 setup. after thinking about it, i am spending more, but it will get me to an up to date platform with greater upgradability down the line. Plus who dont love a quad core with some DDR4 memory.

Good choice! Have fun building. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200