Need a bit of help with New Build!

WaitDontSh00t

1. Budget & Location

Max $4000 (Of course cheaper the better!) - U.S.A.

2. Aim

Gaming (ArmA III, GTA V, Battlefield 4, Big titles - etc..), Everyday Use, Bit of Video Editing

3. Monitors

2 Monitors as of now. One 1440p Gaming Monitor. Secondary Screen most likely will be 1080, but just used for multitasking and a secondary screen while gaming.

4. Peripherals

(Listed in Parts List below)

5. Why are you upgrading?

New and updated Gaming Machine from current one!

---------------------------

Hey guys! So today, I went to my local Frys and Microcenter to get some ideas for prices for my new build I'm going to have soon. I'll list the parts and prices below, and then my questions under that, thanks in advance!

CPU: i7-6700k - $389.99

RAM: Corsair DDR4 32GB 3000MHz - $249.99

Mobo: *Undecided* (Possibly Asus Z170 Hero - $229.99)

PSU: *Undecided* (Possibly EVGA 1200P2 Supernova - $259.99)

CPU Cooler: *Undecided* 

Possible Candidates:

- Corsair H110iGT $109.00

- Kraken X61 $139.99

- Swiftech H240-X $159.99

HDD: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB - $279.99

GPU: EVGA 980TI Hybrid - $680 to $709.99

Case: *Undecided*

Monitor: Main Monitor - Asus PG279Q - $799

Estimated/Rough Total: $3,027

----------------------------------------------------------------

CPU....Heard so many back and forths between a 6700k and 5820k. Also heard X99 can be more expensive? I will mainly be gaming and do a bit of editing here and there. I'll most likely be recording as well, though I've been doing all that with my i5-3570k as of now. Based on what I've heard is if I'm mainly gaming, people tend to recommend the 6700k. Open for input of course!

Alright....so as far as a Mobo goes, I have no idea which to go with, or what features I need/don't need, that can overclock good, etc.... etc...

Ram....How fast of a stick is too much..? I thought the one I listed above would be fine, unless I'm missing out on something. Though I would most likely like to have 32GB.

Power Supply....One 980 Ti Hybrid is a for sure. And I may SLI in the future, so that's why I picked a higher PSU. Not sure how far less I could go though.

CPU Cooler....I'd love to keep my CPU as cool as possible of course, without having to do custom cooling. So I'm not quite sure what's the "Best" one, though I heard good things about the ones I've listed.

Case...Can't think of one that'd fit everything with it still nice and roomy inside the case for airflow and clean wiring, etc..

(Two I saw at the store today and liked: Corsair Air 540 and Corsair Graphite 760T) Open for suggestions! May need it to fit 2 hybrids, if not one for sure and a beefy CPU Cooler.

GPU....To SLI or not to SLI..How well should games be running maxed out in 1440 with that GPU?

Monitor...I think I've decided on the one I put above, saw in the store today and it looked amazing to the old 60hz 1080p TV I have right now.

Yikes...did I miss anything? If I did I'll post again, but hopefully that is enough info for you guys to help me out! 

ANY help, input, recommendations is GREATLY Appreciated! Thank you! I will most likely be building this PC this month, and if everything works out, possibly in the coming weeks!

Right off the bat, I'll tell you that the 5820K would be best for a SLI build and that EVGA 1200 P2 is overkill.

I'll wait for you to finish the post before giving my recommendation :)

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

17 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Right off the bat, I'll tell you that the 5820K would be best for a SLI build and that EVGA 1200 P2 is overkill.

I'll wait for you to finish the post before giving my recommendation :)

Done ;)

Looking forward to hear from you!

17 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Done ;)

Looking forward to hear from you!

Right.

Both of the cases you've picked ain't bad at all. I've just gone for the EVOLV because it's a personal favourite of mine.

For the CPU. I believe the 5820K is the best choice, due to it's better performance with SLI builds and it's similar performance in gaming to the 6700K when overclocked. You'll also see a significant performance boost with games utilising more cores, always a bonus. And you'll fare better in your video editing, which is always nice.

As for RAM, speed doesn't matter much to be honest. You won't see much performance difference. While 32GB is fine and dandy, 16GB should be enough for multiple tabs, web browsing and video editing. I've left a $100 gap in the budget if you want to add anther 16GB anyway.

If you wish to SLI, a 850W PSU is more than enough. I wouldn't go past that to be honest. 1200W is overkill, to say the least.

The X61 Kraken is one of the best AIO coolers you can get on the market (if not the best). Nothing else to say here. Anyway, here's my take (I've only used Amazon, Newegg and Microcenter):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($384.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($80.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($309.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card  ($689.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($118.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($799.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $2924.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 06:57 EST-0500

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KKB2Hx

ok so here's my suggested build,  i have added a Gigabyte Extreme 980Ti Hybrid,  and a 1000W power supply 

this build without overcloocking will take 479W, so if you whether overclock along with the SLI it would be sufficient. 

any other thing which troubles you just ask

10 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Right.

Both of the cases you've picked ain't bad at all. I've just gone for the EVOLV because it's a personal favourite of mine.

For the CPU. I believe the 5820K is the best choice, due to it's better performance with SLI builds and it's similar performance in gaming to the 6700K when overclocked. You'll also see a significant performance boost with games utilising more cores, always a bonus. And you'll fare better in your video editing, which is always nice.

As for RAM, speed doesn't matter much to be honest. You won't see much performance difference. While 32GB is fine and dandy, 16GB should be enough for multiple tabs, web browsing and video editing. I've left a $100 gap in the budget if you want to add anther 16GB anyway.

If you wish to SLI, a 850W PSU is more than enough. I wouldn't go past that to be honest. 1200W is overkill, to say the least.

The X61 Kraken is one of the best AIO coolers you can get on the market (if not the best). Nothing else to say here. Anyway, here's my take (I've only used Amazon, Newegg and Microcenter):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($384.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($80.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($309.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card  ($689.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($118.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($799.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $2924.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 06:57 EST-0500

Thanks for the recommendation! As far as the CPU goes, how does the 5820k compare to the 5930k then? 

Say I overclock the 5820k to match performance of a 6700k. Would I still get more performance in games if the 6700k was overclocked? Or would the 5820k still come out on top on everything still?

And then as far as a PSU goes you say an 850 is enough, even for SLI. Would that still also be the case with more HDDs added, I have about 2 HDD and 1 SSD in my current PC that I will move over, and OC's for example?

8 hours ago, sohaibshtf said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KKB2Hx

ok so here's my suggested build,  i have added a Gigabyte Extreme 980Ti Hybrid,  and a 1000W power supply 

this build without overcloocking will take 479W, so if you whether overclock along with the SLI it would be sufficient. 

any other thing which troubles you just ask

Thanks for your suggestion! Any reason you put the Gigabyte instead of the EVGA Hybrid?

7 hours ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Thanks for the recommendation! As far as the CPU goes, how does the 5820k compare to the 5930k then? 

Say I overclock the 5820k to match performance of a 6700k. Would I still get more performance in games if the 6700k was overclocked? Or would the 5820k still come out on top on everything still?

And then as far as a PSU goes you say an 850 is enough, even for SLI. Would that still also be the case with more HDDs added, I have about 2 HDD and 1 SSD in my current PC that I will move over, and OC's for example?

The 5930K only has more PCIe lanes, which isn't worth it for a 2-way SLI build like this. The 5820K is a better overclocker than the 6700K, and you'll see both have very similar performance, and even better performance in games like ARMA 3.

Yep, the 850W will still be plenty for those HDDs and SSD, on top of everything else being overclocked. The only reason why you'd need a bigger PSU is if you're going to 3-way SLI, which isn't worth it at all.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

The 5930K only has more PCIe lanes, which isn't worth it for a 2-way SLI build like this. The 5820K is a better overclocker than the 6700K, and you'll see both have very similar performance, and even better performance in games like ARMA 3.

Yep, the 850W will still be plenty for those HDDs and SSD, on top of everything else being overclocked. The only reason why you'd need a bigger PSU is if you're going to 3-way SLI, which isn't worth it at all.

Thank you! I'll look into that more.

Another question, if you don't mind..

How is the Mobo I picked, is that a good one for feature, overclocking, etc..?

And are there any other cases you would recommend?

And those new storage devices I've heard of...the M.2 or something like that? Are those for both Z170 and X99? And if so are they worth looking into getting?

Thanks again so far for everything, really appreciate it!

you said 4000..thats with the monitors right?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

4 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Thank you! I'll look into that more.

Another question, if you don't mind..

How is the Mobo I picked, is that a good one for feature, overclocking, etc..?

And are there any other cases you would recommend?

And those new storage devices I've heard of...the M.2 or something like that? Are those for both Z170 and X99? And if so are they worth looking into getting?

Thanks again so far for everything, really appreciate it!

ASUS has a great BIOS from my own experience, and it'll be fine for overclocking and has plenty of features.

As for cases, can't really think of much except maybe the Coolermaster Mastercase Pro 5?

M.2. PCIe SSDs are faster but you won't see much difference in daily tasks. That and the questionable price to performance doesn't make me an advocate of them. A simple SATA SSD like Samsung 850 EVO would do fine.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, techguru said:

you said 4000..thats with the monitors right?

Yup. Excluding a second monitor as of the parts list though. Only because haven't decided if I'll keep my old one as a secondary or not yet, and not sure what I'd get if I did get a new one.

2 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

ASUS has a great BIOS from my own experience, and it'll be fine for overclocking and has plenty of features.

As for cases, can't really think of much except maybe the Coolermaster Mastercase Pro 5?

M.2. PCIe SSDs are faster but you won't see much difference in daily tasks. That and the questionable price to performance doesn't make me an advocate of them. A simple SATA SSD like Samsung 850 EVO would do fine.

Well, thank you again! I appreciate all your help!

On 2/7/2016 at 4:07 AM, WaitDontSh00t said:

Thanks for your suggestion! Any reason you put the Gigabyte instead of the EVGA Hybrid?

Its Gigabyte Extreme Edition GPU,  once i went to Nvidia conference and they demo their 980Ti Extreme,  it can withstand so much dust water vapors they even spread chilly sauce on it and it was working just fine