My First PC build *in progress*

So I've been hoarding some PC parts that I've been finding on good deal since Christmas 2015 to make this PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ohdatpro/saved/wbhbt6#compatibility_dialog

I already have the case, PSU, SSD, & RAM all of which I've saved apx $100-$200 ish. The CPU is to be bough today or sometime this week. Im thinking about replacing the CPU cooler with an H100i from corsair, but I'm still unsure. My GPU is also something I'm u sure of, butbi don't want to go too much over the price. Feel free to leave your comments!

i mean if your cooler works and you like it then keep it, it should be able to handle a overclock

Also for your first gpu i'd get a R9 380 particular brand from Sapphire, Msi or XFX

as for PSU, first off 750w is Overkill 

Second, just get a PSU from Seasonic, XFX, or Superflower, (Very reliable and good)

dont ask for the reason because it just ends in a flamewar

Also for wattage i'd get something around 450-500+

I know, but it was such a steal. I got it from newegg for around $50

I thought about that, but then I also thought of adding another 950 for duel SLI later on @Aytex

I would recommend a GTX 960 or 970. Also, with your system, you are in the market for a new PSU.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600 MHz Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Case: NZXT H440 White 

5 minutes ago, ohdatpro said:

I know, but it was such a steal. I got it from newegg for around $50

just because its cheap dosen't mean its good

1 minute ago, ohdatpro said:

I thought about that, but then I also thought of adding another 950 for duel SLI later on @Aytex

950 sli is NOT worth it at all

not all games support sli

you will be way better off in terms of FPS/Performance with a 380 and crossfireing in the future

its only $10-$20 more for  alot more preformance

What are you going to be using the computer for?  If mostly gaming, instead of going with the i7 4790k you can get a i5 6600k and use the extra money for a beefy GPU.  If more hard core application and rendering stuff, then might be worth spring for the i7 5820k. Again, really depends on what you plan to use it for and how long you want to stretch time before your next upgrade.

Even though I have always leaned towards NVIDIA for various reasons, I agree that for your price point you are probably going to get more bang for you buck with an AMD GPU.

Also, I personally think a 750w PSU is a better option, even if you don't need each and every watt, the extra cabling comes in handy.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

you will be way better off in terms of FPS/Performance with a 380 and crossfireing in the future

^ What he said.

Also, Linus actually has an NCIX video on GTX 950's. Not a terrible idea, but I would go with the GTX 970 for a better price/performance factor.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600 MHz Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Case: NZXT H440 White 

1 minute ago, ohdatpro said:

@Aytex its 80+ bronze certified and its corsair.

Fine you want the reason?

Because CX are known to "Explode alot"

when its not entirely true, the parts in the psu are cheap Chinese capaciters which increase the chance of your PSU malfunctuning

I have a CX my self and I don't really reccomend them for gaming pc's

2 minutes ago, ohdatpro said:

@Aytex its 80+ bronze certified and its corsair.

Does not mean that it is a good PSU. In fact, CS and CX power supplies are generally regarded as lower tier power supplies. For what you have, definitely needs an upgrade.

I'm also pretty sure that SLI is not supported on CX power supplies... I might be wrong..

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

just because its cheap dosen't mean its good

its only $10-$20 more for  alot more preformance

It depends on who you buy it from. I'll most likely go with MSI because it goes with my color scheme and MSI makes good products. 

Just now, ohdatpro said:

It depends on who you buy it from. I'll most likely go with MSI because it goes with my color scheme and MSI makes good products. 

so you going for the msi 380? its a great card

4 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

What are you going to be using the computer for?  If mostly gaming, instead of going with the i7 4790k you can get a i5 6600k and use the extra money for a beefy GPU.  If more hard core application and rendering stuff, then might be worth spring for the i7 5820k. Again, really depends on what you plan to use it for and how long you want to stretch time before your next upgrade.

Even though I have always leaned towards NVIDIA for various reasons, I agree that for your price point you are probably going to get more bang for you buck with an AMD GPU.

Also, I personally think a 750w PSU is a better option, even if you don't need each and every watt, the extra cabling comes in handy.

Streaming, gaming, video editing, and things of that nature.

7 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Fine you want the reason?

Because CX are known to "Explode alot"

when its not entirely true, the parts in the psu are cheap Chinese capaciters which increase the chance of your PSU malfunctuning

I have a CX my self and I don't really reccomend them for gaming pc's

7 minutes ago, Aytex said:

so you going for the msi 380? its a great card

More than likely. 

Just now, Aytex said:

i have a fricking CX in my computer right now and im saying, dont buy it...

I already own it. 

Save for R9 Nano

CPU: Xeon X5650 6C/12T @4.87Ghz GPU: R9 390 Strix RAM: 16Gb Kingston Fury 1866Mhz Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Storage: Kingmax 240Gb SSD 3x 1TB's Case: Fractal Design Define XL with 480mm Radiators + 360mm Radiator PSU: Enermax Revo95+ 920W Speakers: Logitech Z-5500D THX Surround Sound System Headset: Audio-Technica ATH700X Audio: Creative SB ZxR Moniter: BenQ 27Inch 1920x1080 Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Mouse: Logitech G9x/Microsoft Basic Optical OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider

12 hours ago, ohdatpro said:

Streaming, gaming, video editing, and things of that nature.

Ok, then don't skimp on the CPU and get an i7.  The i7 4790k is a good CPU, but you are only $40 to $60 away from newer and/or much better tech.  The six core (12 threaded) i7 5820 is only $40 more, basically their extreme line, allows for more PCIE channels, and known to be very overclockable. The i7 6700k is also a great CPU, and I do think you can get a z170 board with DDR3 ram.  However, if going with a better processor means skimping on the GPU, then stick with i7 4790k.

Also, small thing, but go with a different CPU coolant.  Antec Diamond sounds good, but the staple Arctic Silver has been shown to run cooler by several C and isn't more expensive.

Lastly, Asus has been getting a lot of negative reviews lately for quality control, so might want to look at an MSI, which would also match your GPU, if you are going that rout, as well.  I have always had great experience with MSI. 

Ultimately, regardless of what you choose, it will be a great computer :)

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

1 hour ago, Low_Battery said:

Ok, then don't skimp on the CPU and get an i7.  The i7 4790k is a good CPU, but you are only $40 to $60 away from newer and/or much better tech.  The six core (12 threaded) i7 5820 is only $40 more, basically their extreme line, allows for more PCIE channels, and known to be very overclockable. The i7 6700k is also a great CPU, and I do think you can get a z170 board with DDR3 ram.  However, if going with a better processor means skimping on the GPU, then stick with i7 4790k.

Also, small thing, but go with a different CPU coolant.  Antec Diamond sounds good, but the staple Arctic Silver has been shown to run cooler by several C and isn't more expensive.

Lastly, Asus has been getting a lot of negative reviews lately for quality control, so might want to look at an MSI, which would also match your GPU, if you are going that rout, as well.  I have always had great experience with MSI. 

Unfortunately, the i7 5820k does not support DDR3, according to the amazon description and I believe that I've had my RAM for too long to return it. Also, from reading this => http://www.pcgameware.co.uk/reviews/motherboards/asus-z97-pro-gamer-motherboard-review/ it gives me a sense of reassurance for this board, but I may still look at other boards. If you have any MSI suggestions, I'd love to take a look. 

2 hours ago, Low_Battery said:

however, the 6700k does support DDR3. Will the $60 make all that much difference betwen the 4790k and the 6700k?

9 hours ago, ohdatpro said:

however, the 6700k does support DDR3. Will the $60 make all that much difference betwen the 4790k and the 6700k?

In all honesty, the i7 6700k processor will not provide substantial benefit over the i7 4790k, but there are some potential positives.  One potential benefit has to do with the features of the MB / chipset that the i7 6700k uses, but in your circumstance, I would probably take that money and put it towards a better GPU or other component.  Cheers!

20 hours ago, Low_Battery said:

In all honesty, the i7 6700k processor will not provide substantial benefit over the i7 4790k, but there are some potential positives.  One potential benefit has to do with the features of the MB / chipset that the i7 6700k uses, but in your circumstance, I would probably take that money and put it towards a better GPU or other component.  Cheers!

That is currently the plan. I looked at some benchmarks and comparisons and it did seem as though the 4790k was the better option. Also, I think that I will get this MSI mobo instead of ASUS => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770&cm_re=msi_motherboard-_-13-130-770-_-Product