Cannot Install Ubuntu: A TPM error (7) occured

Here's a quick back story.

My school was throwing away a HP Compaq Pro 6300 Business PC with Win 7 on it. The boot time was terrible and the login required an administrative password that I did not know. I removed Win 7 and grabbed a Ubuntu 15.10 64 bit ISO USB image.

I boot, click install image and I get this error line.

A TPM error (7) occurred attempting to read a pcr value.

Ubuntu failed to install.

I looked around for an answer and they seemed to vary. Given the back story, I hope someone will give me an answer that will help my circumstance. Thanks.

What piece of hardware inside the computer could I replace to make it work? 

Remember to drink water!

It is possible you may be able to enable/disable TPM from your BIOS.

It may be listed as TPM or security chip.

My guess is it is disabled an you want to enable it. However if it is enabled you may want to try disabling it.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

It is a business grade laptop, which means it has a Security chip on-board. Look in the BIOS for security chip and enable it. If it s reporting an error, it means its disabled. That is error 7. I got the same error on my ThinkPad, it was disabled. Good luck!

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

3 hours ago, SubTract said:

It is possible you may be able to enable/disable TPM from your BIOS.

It may be listed as TPM or security chip.

My guess is it is disabled an you want to enable it. However if it is enabled you may want to try disabling it.

1 hour ago, silentmelodies said:

It is a business grade laptop, which means it has a Security chip on-board. Look in the BIOS for security chip and enable it. If it s reporting an error, it means its disabled. That is error 7. I got the same error on my ThinkPad, it was disabled. Good luck!

I was told this by a friend and I have searched the BIOS through and through and there was no option. Like I said in the OP, what piece of hardware can I replace to fix this issue? Motherboard?

Remember to drink water!

In a notebook, If you're going to replace the motherboard you may as well replace the entire machine. It will probably be cheaper.
But yes, The chip is on the motherboard.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

4 hours ago, SubTract said:

In a notebook, If you're going to replace the motherboard you may as well replace the entire machine. It will probably be cheaper.

Is it possible to bypass the tpm or try a different linux?

i can't imagine thats impossible. It sounds almost like hdd encryption of was on and needed disabling.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

4 hours ago, linuxfan66 said:

Is it possible to bypass the tpm or try a different linux?

i can't imagine thats impossible. It sounds almost like hdd encryption of was on and needed disabling.

you can blacklist the module. However you have to actually install it first.
I don't believe there is a way to disable modules during install via the GUI installer.
I could be wrong, It's been a while since I've installed Ubuntu.

Spoiler

11 hours ago, SubTract said:

The computer runs for over $1000 USD. A motherboard off of Newegg is $50 USD.

Is the security chip a physical item on the board that I could yank out?

Remember to drink water!

The computer runs for over $1000 USD. A motherboard off of Newegg is $50 USD.

Is the security chip a physical item on the board that I could yank out?

Laptops are custom boards not average desktop boards..

And parts are soldered nowadays...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

2 hours ago, linuxfan66 said:

Laptops are custom boards not average desktop boards..

And parts are soldered nowadays...

It's not a laptop.

Remember to drink water!

20 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

It's not a laptop.

Get an Arch Linux live CD and try to boot that, then report back.

Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850

Get an Arch Linux live CD and try to boot that, then report back.

Does it have to be a CD?

Remember to drink water!

1 minute ago, toastythomas said:

Does it have to be a CD?

The ISO i meant, in general, make bootable USB and boot it.

57 minutes ago, silentmelodies said:

The ISO i meant, in general, make bootable USB and boot it.

Okay, Fat32?

Remember to drink water!

1 minute ago, toastythomas said:

Okay, Fat32?

Use Rufus.

Use Rufus.

The last line state

Triggering uevents...

Do you want all of it?

Remember to drink water!

Just now, toastythomas said:

The last line state

Triggering uevents...

Do you want all of it?

Yes, Pastebin it.

18 hours ago, toastythomas said:

I was told this by a friend and I have searched the BIOS through and through and there was no option. Like I said in the OP, what piece of hardware can I replace to fix this issue? Motherboard?

OK, I remoted into the BIOS of one of the computers at work to give you this screenshot: BIOS -> Security -> System Security -> Embedded Security Device. This option is TPM in "HP-language". However, I do not recall running into issues with CentOS with the option enabled before.

Alternatively, change "Reset to Factory Settings" to Reset and see if that helps.

56b7b20c35e2e_Screenshot2016-02-0716.01.

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

4 hours ago, toastythomas said:

It's not a laptop.

Woops, Not sure why I assumed it was. My bad.
You may be able to replace the motherboards. I'm pretty sure all intel motherboards these days have security chips on them. But having an option to turn it on and off would be nice.
The problem however may still be in non-generic hardware. Many OEMs (HP, Dell, Acer... etc) Use custom parts in their machines. For example the motherboard will have a custom connector from the PSU to the motherboard, So if you replace the Mobo you may also need to replace the PSU. The other Issue would be finding a motherboard with the same CPU socket, you may end up needing a new CPU as well. At that point you might as well go all out and build a whole new rig.

2 hours ago, toastythomas said:

How long are you waiting for the system to boot?
On the boot selection screen press Tab and add "debug" to the kernel parameters, also remove "quiet" and "splash" if they're there.
The line should look something like this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda3 initrd=/boot/initramfs-linux.img debug

Then press enter. You should get a much more verbose output.

Edited by SubTract
New quote system is stupid.

Spoiler

On 2/7/2016 at 5:52 PM, SubTract said:

Woops, Not sure why I assumed it was. My bad.
You may be able to replace the motherboards. I'm pretty sure all intel motherboards these days have security chips on them. But having an option to turn it on and off would be nice.
The problem however may still be in non-generic hardware. Many OEMs (HP, Dell, Acer... etc) Use custom parts in their machines. For example the motherboard will have a custom connector from the PSU to the motherboard, So if you replace the Mobo you may also need to replace the PSU. The other Issue would be finding a motherboard with the same CPU socket, you may end up needing a new CPU as well. At that point you might as well go all out and build a whole new rig.

How long are you waiting for the system to boot?
On the boot selection screen press Tab and add "debug" to the kernel parameters, also remove "quiet" and "splash" if they're there.
The line should look something like this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda3 initrd=/boot/initramfs-linux.img debug

Then press enter. You should get a much more verbose output.

Sorry for the long reply, it's been a full week of middle school and Counter Strike.

Anyways, pressing tab does nothing.

Remember to drink water!