Do long distance relationships work?

FinestRyeBread

Do long distance relationships work in your opinion?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do they work?

• Yes no matter what
    • Only if they meet irl
    • Only if they see each other occasionally
    • No
    • Turnip

Do they?

Explain your answer if you want

If the answer is not up there feel free to not answer or just put your answer in the replies

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA

Well this is coming from a guy hoping to have a long distance relationship, but usually it depends on the people who are in the relationship. I personally can do it, but we would have to meet each other sometimes, but like every week or month. I mean I dont have any experience in long distance relationships, or any relationship at that, sooooo... hehe

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

It depends on the personalities of those in the relationship. Some need to be with their partner as much as possible, while others like having their own space. If you're (both) the latter, it can work. 

I personally prefer long distance, but I don't particularly like being around people all the time, so that's probably why. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It depends on the personalities of those in the relationship. Some need to be with their partner as much as possible, while others like having their own space. If you're (both) the latter, it can work. 

I personally prefer long distance, but I don't particularly like being around people all the time, so that's probably why. 

I don't necessarily like being around people all the time either. But I don't really think long distance works unless they see each other occasionally.

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA

2 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

No. Never. Pretty much proven fact.

Have you been in one? 

4 minutes ago, FinestRyeBread said:

I don't necessarily like being around people all the time either. But I don't really think long distance works unless they see each other occasionally.

Depends on the type of relationship. Some people don't need/want physical contact, and others have no sexual/physical desires at all, so there may not be any need for face to face communication. 

13 minutes ago, FinestRyeBread said:

Have you been in one? 

No not really. I've casually dated girls in other cities but I travel every day for work so its usually more of a "hook up when in town" kind of deal. 

I have slept with a woman who was in a long distance relationship with someone else though.

I'm old now. I've had plenty of relationships and everyone around me has had plenty of relationships and I'm not really aware of a true long distance relationship that has worked, though I'm sure there's some. Its usually people who have been together and then moved apart and eventually moved on, or people who are insane and just filling an insecurity/desperation to be in a relationship. 

Proximity and physical intimacy are as key to a relationship as passion, personality and intelligence.

31 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

No. Never. Pretty much proven fact.

Are you sure? because i have know a few people who have done the distance,  One of them have been dating over 5 years and are moving in together. I am also in a long distance relationship and we have been going strong for 2 years 

I am happy little Vegemite.

5 minutes ago, Smiles1946 said:

Are you sure? because i have know a few people who have done the distance,  One of them have been dating over 5 years and are moving in together. I am also in a long distance relationship and we have been going strong for 2 years 

Have no statistics to back it up (though could probably find them, on quick search seems to be the average length is about 4.5 months - I would have thought longer since not seeing each other would take longer for the relationship to progress).

Obviously there are ones that work, but distance means less commitment and every single person I've known in a long distance relationship was being cheated on/cheating. Usually I was the mutual friend and messenger boy, because I travel so much 

Now all of my friends are single or in close distance relationships.

And I'm excluding relationships where one partner is away to provide support for the other partner (military, FIFO workers etc), though I know some horror stories from those relationships too.

47 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

Have no statistics to back it up (though could probably find them, on quick search seems to be the average length is about 4.5 months - I would have thought longer since not seeing each other would take longer for the relationship to progress).

Obviously there are ones that work, but distance means less commitment and every single person I've known in a long distance relationship was being cheated on/cheating. Usually I was the mutual friend and messenger boy, because I travel so much 

Now all of my friends are single or in close distance relationships.

And I'm excluding relationships where one partner is away to provide support for the other partner (military, FIFO workers etc), though I know some horror stories from those relationships too.

I know someone who's in a long distance relationship rn, idk how long they've been in it but it seems to be for a while and they seem fine.

On 06/02/2016 at 1:06 AM, FinestRyeBread said:

Do they?

Explain your answer if you want

If the answer is not up there feel free to not answer or just put your answer in the replies

I think it's pretty much a no unless they are committed as all hell.

It's likely they'll grow further apart as time passes, communicating less and less. Physical contact is usually pretty important.

5 minutes ago, FinestRyeBread said:

I know someone who's in a long distance relationship rn, idk how long they've been in it but it seems to be for a while and they seem fine.

I don't mean to make assumptions but uh, 'seem' could be a facade.

Almost as cool as my temps  

9 minutes ago, Benergy said:

I think it's pretty much a no unless they are committed as all hell.

It's likely they'll grow further apart as time passes, communicating less and less. Physical contact is usually pretty important.

I don't mean to make assumptions but uh, 'seem' could be a facade.

I've talked to both of them online (only know 1 irl), they get along pretty well, and I read some of their messages (accident and person didn't care) and looks like they talk alot. They also skype very often.

i think so. i had a friend who met someone (shes from america) from new z about 5 or 6 years ago via the internet, anddddd

they're engaged now 

Quite honestly, Turnip is the only correct answer here.

A long distance relationship can only work if both people put a lot of effort into it and do a good job maintaining it. I've seen them both succeed and fail, it all depends. There are certainly people who are incapable of maintaining a long distance relationship.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

It's only gonna work if both sides try to make it work. Sometimes you're better off not trying.