Project "All safe and connected" - Is this possible?

Hi all. I'm a complete noob in terms of servers and vpn. Please be patient :)

I have been digging for answers over google about this but there is so much information that I am a bit lost.

I have an idea for a project: Create a server, in a pc running linux, for my friends community. We are essentially gamers but the server would let us:

1. Have access to a vpn connection -> basically anyone that can connect to that machine will be able to use our vpn connection to surf the web safely. 8 houses with the same vpn account... I'm dreaming right?

2. Use the server like a dropbox account for everyone.

3. Use it has a game server for many games.

4. Host mumble and other platforms used by everyone.

Can I create something like this? How can I do it?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thank you

1. So you want these people to connect to you and then to the internet? Yes this is possible. Basically these connections are treated as they are local. This is the address translation. One account? well if you are hosting the VPN location that is up to you but typicaly these all have differnt VPN logins.

2. yes this works fine and drives can be mapped etc. 

3. yes works as if everyone is on the same lan

4. yes works as if everyone is on the same lan

The limitations to this are the limits of the host network/internet speed. It is best to use 2 boxes 1 for firewall to setup VPN the other as the host server that houses the game servers and the shared drive. 

How to?

tons of info about pfsense and VPN setup. Once this is created and user accounts are created. they connect using a vpn client to the pfsense box. 

the server setup consists of building a server and host the servers for Mumble\games\etc... 

creating a share and set permissions. 

This maybe vague but there is no single answer, you need to approach the task in 2 different setups. 1. VPN access. 2. Server setup. 

Thank you for replying

1. Yes that's it. Forget the one account thing.

But additionally ( I didn't mentioned on the original post)), I would like to link the server to a vpn service to get a different IP. 

So it would be like:   8 houses -> community server -> vpn service -> Safety and netflix

I have a connection with 215 mbs download and 23 mbs upload. Do I still need two boxes? ( You mean two computers right?)

Concerning the setups you mentioned, can you point me to the right direction on each one?

Thanks 

Edited by JonnyTeronni

2 hours ago, JonnyTeronni said:

Thank you for replying

1. Yes that's it. Forget the one account thing.

But additionally ( I didn't mentioned on the original post)), I would like to link the server to a vpn service to get a different IP. 

So it would be like:   8 houses -> community server -> vpn service -> Safety and netflix

I have a connection with 215 mbs download and 23 mbs upload. Do I still need two boxes? ( You mean two computers right?)

Concerning the setups you mentioned, can you point me to the right direction on each one?

Thanks 

What you propose to do is somewhat complicated, but would be best done in a true router operating system like PFsense or RouterOS, and possibly on dedicated router/firewall hardware (I'd recommend a ubiquiti or mikrotik router)

you need to tackle these things as seperate tasks:

1. Set up a VPN server on the router for the other users to log into. This grants them access to the local network, and all of their internet traffic would go through your internet connection.

2. Establish a VPN client connection on the router to the outside VPN provider of your choice, and configure the router to use this connection as the default route for all traffic OTHER THAN INCOMING VPN CLIENTS

3. On a seperate computer, create whatever game/voice/file server resources you want.

don't make this any more complicated by trying to do it all in one computer.

your 230/15 connection will technically work, but consider this: if a user downloads a file, the file has to come down your internet connection, and then be sent back up your internet connection to go to them. Your upload speed because their max download speed, and this would be shared across all users connecting to you. It would be better with a higher upload speed, ideally you want a symmetric speed like 230/230.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: