Want advice for "beginner" headphones

Bjarnleckarn_49850

Straight to the point, i've always been rolling with "gaming headsets" becuase i mostly play games and listen to music but now i want some quality headphones but i dont really now what to buy...
I like bass and just generally good, clear sound i wont be making music or mixing or w/e i just want to listen to music and play games with good sound quality!

My budget is 150€ish

question: Im currently using Plantronics 788. and will the sound quality be worth the money with 150€ headphones?

I've been looking into beyerdynamic dt770 and Audio-technica ATH-M50X but i dont really know what to buy

I would prefer closed back headphones

sorry if i dont make any sense, my english is horrible and im new to this hifi/headphone/audiophile thingy

If you like the bass the ATH-M50 series is nice for that. I have an older set of M50s that I still use quite often. I would highly recommend you go to a store and actually try different pairs on. If you game / listen for a long time you might find one set too heavy or uncomfortable for long sessions. While I love my M50s after a few hours I'm usually happy to take them off. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

ATH-M50, in my opinion

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

10 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

ATH-M50, in my opinion

17 minutes ago, Papakuma said:

If you like the bass the ATH-M50 series is nice for that. I have an older set of M50s that I still use quite often. I would highly recommend you go to a store and actually try different pairs on. If you game / listen for a long time you might find one set too heavy or uncomfortable for long sessions. While I love my M50s after a few hours I'm usually happy to take them off. 

M50 is one of the most overated headphones, and represents a bad value. The M40X is a much better value, and there may still be better options depending on the need.

As one previous member would say "If you recomend M50X ill send you dick pics"

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

ATH-A700x, nice V-shape that modern music tends to fit without overdoing it, and closed full-size Audio-Technicas still have an enormous soundstage.

There my shilling is complete.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

26 minutes ago, Papakuma said:

hmm, i do play for quite long sessions and i have a pretty big head and ears... will that be a problem? 

If comfort is an issue, then the M50X should be on the very bottom of the list.

NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 is my go to "beginner" headphone. 

Just now, Bjarnleckarn_49850 said:

hmm, i do play for quite long sessions and i have a pretty big head and ears... will that be a problem? 

Maybe? It is different for different people. For example, I can wear them much longer than my wife can...she finds them to be uncomfortable after about 45 minutes to an hour. I have known other people who can wear them for 8 hours or more without any issue. 

As I said in my original reply, I'd highly advise you to go to a physical store and try a bunch of different headsets in your price range out. Maybe even a few that are a bit more expensive to see if saving a little longer might be worth it to you. This will not only give you the chance to test each pair with the music you enjoy (if you have a smart phone you could also load up some game footage), but it will allow you the opportunity to test for comfort, durability, and build quality. Things that we all have opinions about but the ultimate decision comes down to your ears. Once you find what you like, then you can buy there or order online for a lower price if you like. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

6 minutes ago, Bjarnleckarn_49850 said:

The M50's are way overpriced for what they are, so I would steer away from them in my opinion. Also, the link I gave you that is supposed to go to a list of recommended headphones seems to be broken - @SSL.

If you want closed-back headphones for that price, I would go with these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-Pro-Headphones-Ohm/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1454631607&sr=8-18&keywords=closed+back+headphones

You may need a decent sound card or amp setup to get the most out of them, though.

11 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

The M50's are way overpriced for what they are, so I would steer away from them in my opinion. Also, the link I gave you that is supposed to go to a list of recommended headphones seems to be broken - @SSL.

If you want closed-back headphones for that price, I would go with these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-Pro-Headphones-Ohm/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1454631607&sr=8-18&keywords=closed+back+headphones

You may need a decent sound card or amp setup to get the most out of them, though.

Is there a big difference between the 80ohm and 32ohm versions i will most likely only use it on my stationary computer with my mobo soundcard?

5 minutes ago, Bjarnleckarn_49850 said:

Is there a big difference between the 80ohm and 32ohm versions i will most likely only use it on my stationary computer with my mobo soundcard?

What motherboard do you have?

8 minutes ago, Bjarnleckarn_49850 said:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

It might do it. If not the Fiio E10k is about $60 (your currency I mean - I don't know how to do the symbol)

46 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Thanks, fixed.

Did I call it or what? Every fucking time.

Aside from that shitty recommendation, the NVX XPT100 recommendation is a great one that represents a great value! If you want open of course there is the Sennheiser HD558.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Open: AKG k612 pro, but they can be too flat for you, HD 558 they have a normal Sennheiser sound so if you don't like the way Sennheiser sounds then stay away from them.

Closed: akg k550, Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO.

If you can try the headphones in a shop or if you have a friend that owns any of them, then do it. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.