1080P Gaming on a 4K Monitor Issues?

Makifo

This is the current monitor I have. I have two GTX 970s SLI with a display port running to my Monitor. When I play games in 4K or even 1440p the colors look just great. But when I scale it down to 1080p the text looks badly scaled and there's a horrible blue tint to the display. It started ever since I had the monitor and 1 970. I have never figured out how to get rid of this issue for about a year now. I haven't even found any posts about this issue.

Driver updates didn't help, Editing the color settings didn't help. messing with the Color scale in NVIDIA Control Panel.

Can anyone help me?

could you post a picture of it? Does that monitor have any kind of upscaler?

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

thats strange, 1080p should scale better than 1440p on a 4k screen. can you take a picture of it? maybe it has something to do with it beeing a freesync monitor and youre using nvidia cards.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

9 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

thats strange, 1080p should scale better than 1440p on a 4k screen. can you take a picture of it? maybe it has something to do with it beeing a freesync monitor and youre using nvidia cards.

that is a common misconception... 1440p will always look better

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

3 minutes ago, MrSuperb said:

that is a common misconception... 1440p will always look better

well depends on the interpolation i guess, i own a 4k monitor and 1080p looks sharp to me where 1440p looks blurry-ish. and i own quite a few monitors for comparison.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

6 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

I am not home right now. I will be able to take a picture when I get home. But its really strange...

27 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Not that I know of. I have it set in gamemode now. So now it disables any upscaling in preference of performance. Ill have to grab one when I get home...

30 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

This isn't my monitor but this is more or less what it looks like when the screen has a blue tint. I have found that it happens when I am not in 3840 x 2160 or 2056 x 1440. Any other resolution is hit and miss.

s0pDIt6.jpg

26 minutes ago, Makifo said:

This isn't my monitor but this is more or less what it looks like when the screen has a blue tint. I have found that it happens when I am not in 3840 x 2160 or 2056 x 1440. Any other resolution is hit and miss.

s0pDIt6.jpg

tried using another DP/HDMI cable/port on your gpu?

Fire Strike Score

3 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

tried using another DP/HDMI cable/port on your gpu?

Yes sir... Both DPs...

55 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

well depends on the interpolation i guess, i own a 4k monitor and 1080p looks sharp to me where 1440p looks blurry-ish. and i own quite a few monitors for comparison.

that is more than strange. I am not aware of any 4k monitor doing pixel doubleing so 1440p should always be sharper.

Something worth trying is going into your Nvidia Control Panel and under scaling tell it to scale on your GPU, not on your monitor.  It defaults to your monitor and with mine it took at lot of the contrast out of the picture.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

2 minutes ago, MrSuperb said:

that is more than strange. I am not aware of any 4k monitor doing pixel doubleing so 1440p should always be sharper.

cant compair to another 4k monitor since i own only one. the other ones are 1440p and ultrawide 1440p

just telling like it is for me :D

Fire Strike Score

Just now, Minsekt said:

cant compair to another 4k monitor since i own only one. the other ones are 1440p and ultrawide 1440p

just telling like it is for me :D

which one?

4 minutes ago, MrSuperb said:

which one?

PG27AQ, PG278Q, PG279Q and Predator X34 :ph34r:

Fire Strike Score

6 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

PG27AQ, PG278Q, PG279Q and Predator X34 :ph34r:

only really was interested in the 4K model :P ...

Still seems strange that you find 1080p to be better than 1440p.

Reviews would disagree.

The monitor may be switching color and scaling modes to "TV"-optimized defaults whenever you switch to a " TV" resolution like 1080p or 1366×768. As suggested before make sure in the NVIDIA control panel you've set scaling to be performed on the GPU, not display. Set it to "Aspect Ratio" as well.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

The monitor may be switching color and scaling modes to "TV"-optimized defaults whenever you switch to a " TV" resolution like 1080p or 1366×768. As suggested before make sure in the NVIDIA control panel you've set scaling to be performed on the GPU, not display. Set it to "Aspect Ratio" as well.

Will do and I will update you this evening. Thank you!

20 hours ago, Glenwing said:

That did in fact fix the issue. I needed to change the Scaling for the GPU to manage it. 

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Makifo said:

That did in fact fix the issue. I needed to change the Scaling for the GPU to manage it. 

Thank you!

I have the same monitor as you - this is good to know xD

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung