Taking HDMI Out from GPU to HDMI In to Laptop

I'm looking for a way to take my GPU's output to my laptop's display. I assume it will be some sort of capture device but I'm not certain.

Thanks for any ideas or help

Well first off you would want to see what kind of video inputs (if any) your laptop has now. If it has video input then it's likely just a matter of adapting. If you do not have any video inputs, yes you will need a capture device, most likely through USB.

Did everyone see that? Because I will not be doing it again.

Yes, a caapture device will be necessary. And if your laptop has USB3.0, get a 3.0 device. I cannot personally recommend any specific device as I have a Hauppauge Colossus in my workstation. You have the right idea, I dont know if there is actually any other way to do that.

2 minutes ago, VicariousStudio said:

Well first off you would want to see what kind of video inputs (if any) your laptop has now. If it has video input then it's likely just a matter of adapting. If you do not have any video inputs, yes you will need a capture device, most likely through USB.

I dont know, so Im asking..... Are there laptops with video input on the market? Ive never seen one. That would definately be something I wasnt aware of.

6 minutes ago, ShnizleGhost said:

I'm looking for a way to take my GPU's output to my laptop's display. I assume it will be some sort of capture device but I'm not certain.

Thanks for any ideas or help

Are you trying to use your laptop's display as a monitor for your GPU?  While a capture card will indeed display the output of an external device on your laptop's display, video capture cards are used for video streaming/editing.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

3 minutes ago, VicariousStudio said:

I am fairly certain this is the one we used http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-2560x1440-1920x1200/dp/B00BPEV1XK

It comes with dvi/hdmi adapters as well.

That's an output device.  It uses a USB port to add a second or third monitor to your laptop.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, Chris_Hercules said:

I dont know, so Im asking..... Are there laptops with video input on the market? Ive never seen one. That would definately be something I wasnt aware of.

There are laptops with HDMI input, I know some Alienware have them.  The chances that the poster has one of these laptops with the input is very small.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, Chris_Hercules said:

Honestly @Chris_Hercules I'm not sure honestly. Personally, I haven't seen one either, but I've learned over the years when giving tech advice to never rule anything out. There are expansion cards that allowed it, I do know that much. But from personal experience, no I haven't seen one either.

Just now, ShnizleGhost said:

I'm trying to use my laptop as a streaming machine lol

Not to be rude or outside of your question, but is network / LAN streaming not an option?

I'm wanting high image quality and I do not know of a way to do that over the network.

I do have gigabyte throughout my place

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

There are laptops with HDMI input, I know some Alienware have them.  The chances that the poster has one of these laptops with the input is very small.

a lot of things are possible in the computer world, Ive taught myself a lot over the years, but, I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING. Matter fact I know comparitively very little.

4 minutes ago, ShnizleGhost said:

@ALwin I have never seen one of those before, that is super neat!

EDIT: Wow that is expensive.

You can always look at one of the other stuff in another comment I made.

The Livestream Broadcaster Pro device that I first linked doesn't need a computer.  Just connect your HDMI cable for video in, connect the device to a network, set up your streaming service and go.