Making a Computer a Wireless Access Point

Kirihuna

The wireless sucks at my part of my building where I live at college. Like, anything of mine, it gets kicked off every 5 minutes.

Is there a way to set my computer to be a wireless access point? But only for me to use? Computer is hard wired.

Not allowed to use routers or network switches (I don't know how they'll know about network switches). So I need to set up my computer to be an access point for only me to use the internet and for me to wireless back up things.

I have my PC, rMBP, Xbox 360, PS3, Samsung Smart TV, iPad, and Galaxy S4 I want to hook up.

Not all at once.

My desktop has a wireless card.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Add a wireless PCI card and have it set up to function as a network bridge.

(At least I think that's a possibility, feel free to look into it.)

Actually that might not work with so many devices. Why can't you use a router? I don't think there's any way for them to tell unless they're watching your data and the SSID can be hidden.

You can add another network card with a standard Cat 5 out and connect a router to that.

Error: 410

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

Right Click Wireless Card>Properties>Sharing>Enable ICS (Tick Top Box)

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Manage Wireless Networks

Add>Create an ad hoc network

or this

Why can't you use a router? I don't think there's any way for them to tell unless they're watching your data and the SSID can be hidden.

Add a wireless PCI card and have it set up to function as a network bridge.

(At least I think that's a possibility, feel free to look into it.)

Actually that might not work with so many devices. Why can't you use a router? I don't think there's any way for them to tell unless they're watching your data and the SSID can be hidden.

You can add another network card with a standard Cat 5 out and connect a router to that.

I don't plan on running them all at once. At the most, there would be 5 devices. PC, which is hardwired. rMBP and PS3 / TV. iPad and S4 are always hooked up to wi-fi.

Oddly enough, wi-fi works better for my mobile devices than laptops / anything else.

And somehow they can tell if you run a router because I have friends who've used routers before and they shut off the internet to their room.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I don't plan on running them all at once. At the most, there would be 5 devices. PC, which is hardwired. rMBP and PS3 / TV. iPad and S4 are always hooked up to wi-fi.

Oddly enough, wi-fi works better for my mobile devices than laptops / anything else.

And somehow they can tell if you run a router because I have friends who've used routers before and they shut off the internet to their room.

It's because their network gets your MAC address, and the first part of that is the manufacturers ID, and they know that most people don't use Linksys or D-Link nics

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

run DD-WRT on a router, and change the MAC address of it to that of your computers?

My build: i5 3570k @ Stock // Arctic Freezer i30 CPU Cooler // 7970 3GB @ 1000MHz Core 1500Mhz Memory // 8GB RAM @ 1333MHz // WD Caviar Black 1TB // WD Caviar Blue 1TB // Corsair 300R

If you change the routers MAC address they should not be able to detect the devices that are behind that NAT.