Networking on a grand scale

Tridanite

I'd like to build a render farm and was wondering if there was optimal way to get everything networked. So things like data connections, servers, OS does this have to be the same as that of the one on the host system when rendering AE compositions and what OS would be the best as I was thinking Linux because of its command which I can't remember the name of right now haha.

Thanks for any advice!

If you want to build a giant render farm you can either get expensive servers or you could look into cluster computing.

Cluster computing is where you connect all the computers on the network together to help share the work load across them. It is cheaper than buying expensive servers.

Folding@home is an example of a variant of cluster computing. Where all the computers are connected together to help speed up what the master computer is doing.

Sounds awesome I'll look into it. Thanks!

Would the dependent computers be nodes? Because that is actually what I was also considering.

yea, master and slave is just another way of talking about it but it would be similar if not the exact same thing

Yeah use cluster computing to get more power for rendering, the setups ive seen have been clustered computers connected through a series of hubs and switches to a large data server for mass storage, all connected using fibre lines, dont know if that would apply to what you really need from it but its one of the best solutions ive come across