HDD at 100%

TommyF

So my friend has windows on a partition on a hard drive which is at 100% utilization during the first 5min after he boots up his desktop. During these 5min he can't use his desktop except opening task manager and file explorer, when it starts working again and he opens up any program the computer freezes for a couple of more miunutes. Do anyone have any suggestions to what is wrong?

Windows 10: Task manager and remove all startup items except antivirus and GPU, audio driver
Windows 7: Win+R --> msconfig ---> startup and then remove all startup items except antivirus and GPU, audio driver

EDIT: If doesn't work then buy more ram

4 minutes ago, TommyF said:

So my friend has windows on a partition on a hard drive which is at 100% utilization during the first 5min after he boots up his desktop. During these 5min he can't use his desktop except opening task manager and file explorer, when it starts working again and he opens up any program the computer freezes for a couple of more miunutes. Do anyone have any suggestions to what is wrong?

Is it a mechanical HDD or an SSD? 

This is pretty common for an older/slower HDD

Almost as cool as my temps  

1 minute ago, Benergy said:

or IDE hdd are slow af

2 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

Windows 10: Task manager and remove all startup items except antivirus and GPU, audio driver
Windows 7: Win+R --> msconfig ---> startup and then remove all startup items except antivirus and GPU, audio driver

EDIT: If doesn't work then buy more ram

Ok, thank you

1 minute ago, Benergy said:

It's a HDD but it was bought this summer

1 hour ago, FilipSebik said:

or IDE hdd are slow af

If it's an IDE drive then this is to be fully expected. I'm also assuming the rest of the PC isn't very powerful (or modern) considering it's using an IDE drive as its boot drive - this exacerbates the problem.

1 hour ago, TommyF said:

Ok, thank you

It's a HDD but it was bought this summer

Ah, is it a WD Green per chance? Low RPM drives designed for archival storage are really bad to use as boot drives.

If it's not, it's possible there's too many programs running on startup or there's something sucking up all your resources in the background (e.g. antivirus)

Almost as cool as my temps  

2 minutes ago, Benergy said:

If it's an IDE drive then this is to be fully expected. I'm also assuming the rest of the PC isn't very powerful (or modern) considering it's using an IDE drive as its boot drive - this exacerbates the problem.

It's not that powerful no

I think it's a seagate drive but I can ask him the exact model number if you want?

He just removed a lot of programs from startup so he'll try booting it again very soon. He's off eating supper right now :)

So it seems it worked just removing start up programs, thank you to you both

Might want to slowly add the startup items back and figure out which application it was, because the next time you open that application it is just going to add itself back to startup items.

On 02/02/2016 at 11:05 PM, Mikensan said:

Might want to slowly add the startup items back and figure out which application it was, because the next time you open that application it is just going to add itself back to startup items.

Good idea, but he's getting a ssd now so he'll hopefully not have any issues like that again :) If he does we will do that though