Will an old computer from 2007 serve well as a NAS?

ShiroArikawa

Woo, titles. ^ -^

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

Up to last year I used my old windows XP computer for a nas. Now I have a server for my nas. To answer the question yes just make sure you make it a clean install to free up the most of the hard drives.

Depends on the PC... If it's a Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad or dual core Pentium, it should be fine :D

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

Forgot to list specs: pentium e2200, 3gb ram, hd 4760.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

52 minutes ago, ShiroArikawa said:

What would you be using the NAS for? What OS would you be running? Do you intend to transcode with it? Stream from it (without transcoding)? Just use it as a file server? etc...? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

48 minutes ago, ShiroArikawa said:

Depends on the performance that you want. That GPU is not going to do be doing anything in the NAS so I would take it out to conserve power. What do you intend to do on it? Simple file storage and transfer or do you intend to run a Plex server or the like on it. Also what OS do you plan to use, for FreeNas (my favorite and one of the more common) you should be using at least 8GB RAM.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

What would you be using the NAS for? What OS would you be running? Do you intend to transcode with it? Stream from it (without transcoding)? Just use it as a file server? etc...? 

@Bgordy2013 using win Xp and just for files, juicy files.

Win XP lost support a while back, so if it has web access it'll be a gaping hole. But you could even put ubuntu on there or Nas4free and setup a samba/CIFS share... Allow guest access and call it a day (assuming you don't care who on your LAN has access to it)

Sorta want it across wifi, as my mother has a laptop and moves, and is running outta storage.

39 minutes ago, ShiroArikawa said:

Sorta want it across wifi, as my mother has a laptop and moves, and is running outta storage.

You can still share it from your desktop, nothing is preventing you from doing that unless you live in a different house - even then a tunnel could fix that.

On 2/1/2016 at 3:02 PM, ShiroArikawa said:

@Bgordy2013 using win Xp and just for files, juicy files.

Yeah that'll do then. As Mikensan said go with Ubuntu over XP. Really easy to set up a CIFS or Samba share. I really wouldn't reccomend XP for any purpose at this point.