English Exam

★ Coups ★
Go to solution Solved by StarSearch,
12 hours ago, KE2012 said:

I would avoid going too technical.  While what you say might make sense to us it might not to someone who isn't tech savy and the marker could think your talking gobledy gook. 

I disagree.  It's only "techie" if you use techie language and acronyms.  The challenge (and it would be a lot of fun!) is to explain it in layman's terms and make it exciting at the same time.

Example: "What is neat about the PC, and one thing has to do with its size being bigger!, is that the individual components that are connected to a motherboard are typically more powerful.  Another is the control and adaptability of the individual components that are updated by their respective manufacturers which allow constant improvement, whether it's a simple "bug" (or error) fix, or to the adding of whole new features.  Too, having control over all these elements is usually a major PLUS if you do not like to be limited.  But, it does require a certain aptitude and sense of adventure to dig into these things!"

Compare and contrast.  Basic english course skill that is utilized throughout one's life.

So basically my English Exam is coming up. Where I live we do an English exam called "Speaking and Listening". It is basically where you chose a topic and speak about it for around 7 minutes. (Uneven number. Fuck me.)

So, I'd like to do it on the PC Master race, and the benefits and disadvantages of a console and PC. It may sound really geeky but Im proud.

So, do you guys think its a good topic? I think I can get into a lot of depth and detail with a topic like this, and I think I know my stuff fairly well. What do you guys think? Any tips or things I should know before considering this?

Also, I cannot bring any scripts in, its all free-minded. (If thats a word)

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

its not a bad idea, i imagine you know a far amount about the jargon in this community and by saying something like central processing unit you can get a lot of praise from the exam judges. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Sure just speak about whatever your are most passionate about 

7 minutes is a long time to talk for

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

when speaking making eye contact with members of the audience is always good, also personal i learn key facts then make up most of the speech as I go 

GPU: GTX 980 Matrix            CPU: I5 4690k           Case: Cosair 750D         Motherboard: Maximus vii formula            Memory: 4x4 gb hyperx fury           Storage: samsung 840 evo 256gb     

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Sure just speak about whatever your are most passionate about 

7 minutes is a long time to talk for

depending on your speed its around 1000-2000 words which is quite a lot.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

There is no audience I beleive. Its just a room with a teacher and a microphone.

Just now, JCtech00 said:

when speaking making eye contact with members of the audience is always good 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

do you have to hand in a written copy of the speech? 

GPU: GTX 980 Matrix            CPU: I5 4690k           Case: Cosair 750D         Motherboard: Maximus vii formula            Memory: 4x4 gb hyperx fury           Storage: samsung 840 evo 256gb     

Just now, JCtech00 said:

do you have to hand in a written copy of the speech? 

7 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

I cannot bring any speeches in or anything like that.

Should be fine for a topic if you add good amounts of detail, otherwise you might end up running out of things to talk about, I've never run into that issue with my speeches but I generally have to talk about really in depth topics like a complete overview of why humans sleep and the chemical processes involved, but getting a ~10min speech just requires being detailed is all from my experience.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

probably the best thing to do then would be to learn you key arguments/ points, then during the speech expand on them 

Tho i love tech, i dont really mix it with my school.

This is mainly because the people i will explain this to, mostly will not understand it, and see it the way i do. 
Two weeks ago, i had a project presentation, and two of my friends decided to make it about tech and so, but as it is to "advanced" to many teachers, they only got 4. Tho they are as good as us, and their presentation was as good as ours.  (4 is in the middle, i guess its the same as a C), where my friend and i, talking about  the cold war got 12. (the highest, - guess its the same as A+.) 

But if you just explain it, on a basic level then i'm sure you will be fine.

Good luck. 

Yes, the username is cringe. 

I did this exam and honestly, if you naturally know and understand the topic, then it will be a piece of cake.

FX 8350 4.4ghz//R9 290//8gb Ram//120gb ssd//500gb hdd

If you know a lot about the subject go for it, a few things you may want to cover:

• Control (Open source vs Closed Source)
  • Experience (Convenience vs Power)
  • The value of either side (Paid subscriptions, cheaper hardware vs free networks and greater upfront costs)
  • Quantity of games 

Depending on the format, you will have to either convince the viewers to go with one of them, or to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of either platform

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

6 hours ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

So basically my English Exam is coming up. Where I live we do an English exam called "Speaking and Listening". It is basically where you chose a topic and speak about it for around 7 minutes. (Uneven number. Fuck me.)

So, I'd like to do it on the PC Master race, and the benefits and disadvantages of a console and PC. It may sound really geeky but Im proud.

So, do you guys think its a good topic? I think I can get into a lot of depth and detail with a topic like this, and I think I know my stuff fairly well. What do you guys think? Any tips or things I should know before considering this?

It's wonderful they're having you do something like this, I compete around the world via Model UN and while this isn't exactly the topic I'd compete with it's still unique.  I never ever have written or scripted speeches.  Never once have I ever had a written speech, it is ALWAYS impromptu.  Study study study, make sure you bullet point and out line everything you'd like to speak about,  and don't really think about it too hard.  Simply, organize everything in your head make sure you never look them in the eyes but at the forehead.  Making eye contact throws you off and locks you in.  Though, if you look at their foreheads they can't you aren't looking them in the eye.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

I would avoid going too technical.  While what you say might make sense to us it might not to someone who isn't tech savy and the marker could think your talking gobledy gook. 

12 hours ago, KE2012 said:

I disagree.  It's only "techie" if you use techie language and acronyms.  The challenge (and it would be a lot of fun!) is to explain it in layman's terms and make it exciting at the same time.

Example: "What is neat about the PC, and one thing has to do with its size being bigger!, is that the individual components that are connected to a motherboard are typically more powerful.  Another is the control and adaptability of the individual components that are updated by their respective manufacturers which allow constant improvement, whether it's a simple "bug" (or error) fix, or to the adding of whole new features.  Too, having control over all these elements is usually a major PLUS if you do not like to be limited.  But, it does require a certain aptitude and sense of adventure to dig into these things!"

Compare and contrast.  Basic english course skill that is utilized throughout one's life.