How hot is too hot for a smartphone?

steezemageeze

My Droid Turbo gets really hot when it's charging, GSam battery monitor is saying that it's 130°F right now, which is hotter than my Athlon at load. I can barely hold the damn thing. Is this a problem? 

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

If you can barely hold it, yes that's a problem, regardless of whether or not the components can take that heat

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i don't know if the droid turbo has quick charging but usually quick charge heats up the phone a bit, more-so when the battery's nearly dead. but it shouldn't be extremely hot. did you check out the charger itself? 

When you can actually notice the huge increase of temperature. I base it off room temperature. If my phone feels way hotter than room temperature, then I know somethings up.

7 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

My Droid Turbo gets really hot when it's charging, GSam battery monitor is saying that it's 130°F right now, which is hotter than my Athlon at load. I can barely hold the damn thing. Is this a problem? 

What is the amperage of your charger? 

~ Luc Luc

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i don't know if the droid turbo has quick charging but usually quick charge heats up the phone a bit, more-so when the battery's nearly dead. but it shouldn't be extremely hot. did you check out the charger itself? 

It does have quick charging, but it never used to get this hot. I'll try using a Samsung charger I have lying around and see if it overheats

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

6 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

That sounds like possibly an issue with the device. It's too bad that Motorola's service sucks. on the topic of insane heat, my old iMac would practically burn my hand if I touched it after some... light, uhh... gaming  troll_icons_2_28891_7697_thumb.png

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

6 minutes ago, Tornation said:

What is the amperage of your charger? 

Not sure... It's the Motorola brick that came with it and an AmazoncBasics cable. I think it says 1.6A but the text is faded

Just now, steezemageeze said:

Not sure... It's the Motorola brick that came with it and an AmazoncBasics cable. I think it says 1.6A but the text is faded

Odd... That should be well within reasonable limits especially since I assume it came with the device. This might point to a flaw within the phone itself. But honestly idk.

~ Luc Luc

16 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

14 minutes ago, Tornation said:

Odd... That should be well within reasonable limits especially since I assume it came with the device. This might point to a flaw within the phone itself. But honestly idk.

The Motorola Turbo Charger is 1.2A, but remember that that's at 12V and not the normal 5V. It's almost 20 watts of power which is twice as much as standard 5V/2A chargers. Quick Charge 2.0 makes a lot more heat than regular charging, but it shouldn't be to the point where you can barely hold it. My S6 Edge under quick charge does get hot to the point where it feels strange because you're not used to a device getting so warm when charging (even though it's normal), but it's definitely not to the point of being uncomfortable and/or worrying.

"Rawr XD"

39 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have had my tablet at 75 degrees before

Same - I've got the CPU on my shield tablet (overclocked to 2.5 GHz) up to 70s or low 80s before, but even then the battery was never as high as 50C.  I think those two parts a very different in what they can handle

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Same - I've got the CPU on my shield tablet (overclocked to 2.5 GHz) up to 70s or low 80s before, but even then the battery was never as high as 50C.  I think those two parts a very different in what they can handle

Mine was doing 1080p60 youtube playback and running on a wireless charger with the screen brightness up. My nexus 7 charges faster over wireless, I think its stupid it only draws half of what its stock charger is rated at over a wired connection

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

(Wrong photo attached above, cannot edit for some reason)

Mine was doing 1080p60 youtube playback and running on a wireless charger with the screen brightness up. My nexus 7 charges faster over wireless, I think its stupid it only draws half of what its stock charger is rated at over a wired connection...Screenshot_2016-01-24-22-17-38.thumb.png

10 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

(Wrong photo attached above, cannot edit for some reason)

Mine was doing 1080p60 youtube playback and running on a wireless charger with the screen brightness up. My nexus 7 charges faster over wireless, I think its stupid it only draws half of what its stock charger is rated at over a wired connection...

I see your overheating tablet and raise you another :D

(Actually idk what was going on here - the sensors were confused I think since the device was around 15 to 20 c)

Screenshot_2015-12-18-14-33-19.png