Shadowtrooper [FT05 build]

mr_yu

Shadowtrooper

A silent optimized air cooled pc with a Star Wars motif.

PJXYXUx.jpg

Intro

This was my second pc build in many years and the first with a custom made part. I decided against a custom loop or AIO solutions for the sake of simplicity and budget constraints. The goal was to create a clean simple build with a subtle Star Wars theme. I recently joined a maker space and thought this would be a fun project to design and make a custom cover for the NH-D14.

Parts

The project centered around the Silverstone FT05. This unique case with its rotated motherboard and a relatively small mid tower footprint allows great airflow, with the NH-D14 being passively cooled by natural case airflow. The other parts followed the same mindset for silent operations with the power supply being the Seasonic 520w fanless and graphics the 980 Strix. In addition all SSD storage ensures speedy silent performance. Finally you can’t have 1440p gaming without a monitor and the Acer XB27OHU was an excellent choice with G-sync.

RD0Gzda.jpg

Ordered the correct LTT NF-A14s fans shortly after this photo

Concept and Design of Heat Sink Cover

The main custom piece was a laser cut acrylic cover to go on top of the NH-D14.

6C0e2h4.jpg

The design is based on the Imperial crest of the Galactic Empire and was initially designed in sketchup. A prototype was 3d printed to test any clearance issues with the final design being made in corel draw. The final piece was made in three layers of acrylic to allow spacing for the heat pipes.

Final piece.

zj5bWoa.jpg

Finished Product

Some custom cables and obsessive cable management brings the whole thing together.

bjRXlkl.jpg

VGwRg4I.jpg

rUSvNhP.jpg

Can’t beat LTT Noctua fans

kB1rfci.jpg

Acoustics

XPGe8uI.jpg

Wow only a 6dB delta - amazing! Pseudoscience aside, with two fans at low rpms as the only intake, it is inaudible at idle. Under load the 980 is the loudest part with a slight hum above quiet ambient room levels but is hardly noticeable during the day with city noise outside my apartment.

Final Setup

With my Ikea hack standing desk on a tatami mat I finally have my ideal setup. Thanks for reading.

ECdv2Wy.jpg

How do you like working in the FT05? I'm litterally 3 inches away from impulse buying it ... since this morning  

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

14 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

How do you like working in the FT05? I'm litterally 3 inches away from impulse buying it ... since this morning  

Its ok. I like it for the rotated mobo and the overall design of the case. It has solid build quality but is expensive. Its a bit challenging  to manage cables behind the mobo trey and the lack of rubber grommets for a case at this price is annoying. Overall if your looking for a unique design and layout go for it. But if you're looking for an easy build  i'd look elsewhere.

Just now, mr_yu said:

Its ok. I like it for the rotated mobo and the overall design of the case. It has solid build quality but is expensive. Its a bit challenging  to manage cables behind the mobo trey and the lack of rubber grommets for a case at this price is annoying. Overall if your looking for a unique design and layout go for it. But if you're looking for an easy build  i'd look elsewhere.

Seeing as I am using a Prodigy M and a Hadron Air, I like a challenge. 

How loud are the stock 180 fans? 

Based on the Cable management allowed, you did an amazing job. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

5 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

How loud are the stock 180 fans?

At the lowest rpm not bad. I switched them out for noctuas because they weren't quiet enough for me.

I wish I could make my build as clean looking as yours..

Feels bad man.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.