Quick question about cutting PSU cables

Dovin
Go to solution Solved by WittItDew,

I am currently building in a Sugo sg09 and I'm using a Corsair H80i. The H80i needs a sata power connector to power the pump, so I would only need one more sata power connector.

I have an HX850 semi modular PSU. Since I only need one more sata power, could I cut the rest of the cable off and put heatshrink on the ends to keep them from touching, or would I ruin the whole cable and destroy my pc?

I have one pic of the cable, and one showing in red where I want to cut and marked in red the part I want to cut away.

So does anyone know if this would work or not?

Thanks for any help, I'm not very good at the laws of electricity.

-Dovin

You cutting off the connectors/wires that you don't need and then correctly terminating the wires, would do as much damage to the PSU as leaving them there and not plugging any drives/pumps/whatever into those last three connectors. Comprende? Do it right and you're fine

I am currently building in a Sugo sg09 and I'm using a Corsair H80i. The H80i needs a sata power connector to power the pump, so I would only need one more sata power connector.

I have an HX850 semi modular PSU. Since I only need one more sata power, could I cut the rest of the cable off and put heatshrink on the ends to keep them from touching, or would I ruin the whole cable and destroy my pc?

I have one pic of the cable, and one showing in red where I want to cut and marked in red the part I want to cut away.

post-2678-0-18768400-1378488994_thumb.jp

post-2678-0-77381000-1378489005_thumb.jp

-Dovin

Why would you do it anyways?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's doable, but don't. There's no point risking damage to your PSU, or other parts of your system over something stupid like this, I'm sure you can find a way to hide the rest of the cable.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

-Dovin

You cutting off the connectors/wires that you don't need and then correctly terminating the wires, would do as much damage to the PSU as leaving them there and not plugging any drives/pumps/whatever into those last three connectors. Comprende? Do it right and you're fine

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

This was my theory, just had to confirm it. Thank you :)