Help picking parts

tTIKA

Hi

I am new to PC building. Actually pc’s in general. I want to build a pc to play some casual games on it. I mean I want to play games like Star Wars BF or Battlefield on it but obviously I don't aim to achieve high settings. (I don’t have a huge budget anyways). I have all other accessories( mouse, keyboard etc) and a dell 3440x1440. Can you tell me what do you think about these parts?

EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti $110 (or any other recommendation?)

Intel Core i3 i3-4170 Dual-core (2 Core) 3.70 GHz $125 (or AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition CPU Quad Core $75)

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s $67

MSI Computer Corp. LGA1150/Intel H81/DDR3/SATA3 $48 (or Gigabyte AMD FM2+ GA-F2A68HM-H $50 for amd)

Crucial BX200 240GB SATA 2.5 $64

EVGA 600 B1 80+ BRONZE, 600W Continuous Power $45

Xion Performance mATX USB 3.0 Tower Case $25

We cant see on dark theme

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

To ensure you get the best value when buying PC components I recommend using http://pcpartpicker.com/ to get the best value

You definately will want more GPU and CPU power if you want to play games like SWBF or Battlefield, but for games like TF2, I would say its solid, but don't try to throw triple a games at it, and expect to get 1080p 60fps low, more like 720p 30fps low 

That's a big resolution for a 750 ti. 

If you have an actual budget that you want to stick to, people can be a lot more helpful in recommendations if you disclose that information(including what currency you're talking about.. there's a huge difference between usd or cad)

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

10 minutes ago, tTIKA said:

Hi

I am new to PC building. Actually pc’s in general. I want to build a pc to play some casual games on it. I mean I want to play games like Star Wars BF or Battlefield on it but obviously I don't aim to achieve high settings. (I don’t have a huge budget anyways). I have all other accessories( mouse, keyboard etc) and a dell 3440x1440. Can you tell me what do you think about these parts?

Intel Core i3 i3-4170 Dual-core (2 Core) 3.70 GHz $125 (or AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition CPU Quad Core $75)

MSI Computer Corp. LGA1150/Intel H81/DDR3/SATA3 $48 (or Gigabyte AMD FM2+ GA-F2A68HM-H $50 for amd)

okay well if you have a 4k display your going to have better parts, just save up money if you have an intense display. When you get enough money I recommend this maybe a  core i5 processor and at least a R9 390 or a Geforce Gtx 970

13 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

To ensure you get the best value when buying PC components I recommend using http://pcpartpicker.com/ to get the best value

You definately will want more GPU and CPU power if you want to play games like SWBF or Battlefield, but for games like TF2, I would say its solid, but don't try to throw triple a games at it, and expect to get 1080p 60fps low, more like 720p 30fps low 

do you have any gpu recommendations for higher setting?

12 minutes ago, givegomezthegun said:

That's a big resolution for a 750 ti. 

If you have an actual budget that you want to stick to, people can be a lot more helpful in recommendations if you disclose that information(including what currency you're talking about.. there's a huge difference between usd or cad)

its in US Dollars, $500 is where my budget is around. I can go a bit higher if there is a good deal but since this is my first build, I dont want to put a guge amount of money at in it.

and any comments on the build?

2 minutes ago, tTIKA said:

do you have any gpu recommendations for higher setting?

its in US Dollars, $500 is where my budget is around. I can go a bit higher if there is a good deal but since this is my first build, I dont want to put a guge amount of money at in it.

and any comments on the build?

I would recommend the 960 or the R9 380 

4 minutes ago, Nohemi said:

okay well if you have a 4k display your going to have better parts, just save up money if you have an intense display. When you get enough money I recommend this maybe a  core i5 processor and at least a R9 390 or a Geforce Gtx 970

its not 4K,  its an ultra-wide, and what do you think about AMD

The reality is that $500 just isn't going to cut it to game at 3440x1440

But.. you could go for something like;

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($115.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Directron) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 2GB PCS+ Video Card  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $486.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-31 12:38 EST-0500

my work in progress

custom water loop

3 minutes ago, tTIKA said:

its not 4K,  its an ultra-wide, and what do you think about AMD

oh well in that case man AMD might be the way to go, but if you want upgrade ability than you might want to go with Intel but that might difficult because you have a low budget 

8 minutes ago, tTIKA said:

Hi

First, I'm sorry to inform you that you won't be running any games at 1440p with that GPU and no AAA games like SWBF with that CPU.

The 750ti is an okay GPU, but it's a low-end card. So it runs things like League, TF2, and other non-taxing titles fine at 1080p, but games like SWBF will need to be set to lower resolutions and lower setting to get even 30fps with lower settings.
To run games, especially modern ones, at that resolution you'll need a high-end GPU.
Or to run them at 1080p (a fine option) you'll want at least something mid-range for modern titles to run around medium settings.

The i3 is a dual core(w/ hyper-threading) but does not perform like a quad-core the same way an i7 doesn't perform like an 8 core. CPUs, while not as crucial in many cases as a GPU, are still a vital part of a system when playing games and can be a bottleneck resulting in lower frames.
A quad-core such as a core i5 or amd equivalent are recommended. Personally I'm an intel person but AMD has amazing price to performance. 

Lastly your system lacks a massive storage option. Games take a lot of space and while SSDs are fast they're more commonly used as storage for your OS and programs/games that have long loading times. A 1TB HDD will go long way and are fairly priced. 

To further help you I and the rest of the community here will want to know your budget for building this system to further help you get the best performance for your dollar in our opinions. From what I can tell it appears to be a low, so in my opinion the best case may be to give yourself more time to increase your budget so that you may get an adequate gaming experience with modern titles.

Hope we can help, Mike

P.S. http://pcpartpicker.com/ is a great place to go to compare system parts and prices as well as check out other builds for reference.
Once you have a build together post the perma-link from the upper left so we can review it without the need for you to type it all out in the post. 

5 minutes ago, Nohemi said:

oh well in that case man AMD might be the way to go, but if you want upgrade ability than you might want to go with Intel but that might difficult because you have a low budget 

well my budget is not a strict $500. the thing is I have never gamed in pc before (coming from console) thats why I don't know how much I will enjoy this, and I might end up needing to sell the pc. If its gonna be a noticeably different experience, $700 - $800 are ok with me to.

and how do I understand which GPU is capable of what? yes a Gtx 970 is better than GTX 750Ti, but exactly how much better?

1 minute ago, tTIKA said:

well my budget is not a strict $500. the thing is I have never gamed in pc before (coming from console) thats why I don't know how much I will enjoy this, and I might end up needing to sell the pc. If its gonna be a noticeably different experience, $700 - $800 are ok with me to.

and how do I understand which GPU is capable of what? yes a Gtx 970 is better than GTX 750Ti, but exactly how much better?

Setting your budget up to $800 gives you a MUCH better system, which could even reasonably play many games at the native resolution of your ginormous monitor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NyyQt6 

my work in progress

custom water loop

8 minutes ago, MichaelGavel said:

First, I'm sorry to inform you that you won't be running any games at 1440p with that GPU and no AAA games like SWBF with that CPU.

The 750ti is an okay GPU, but it's a low-end card. So it runs things like League, TF2, and other non-taxing titles fine at 1080p, but games like SWBF will need to be set to lower resolutions and lower setting to get even 30fps with lower settings.
To run games, especially modern ones, at that resolution you'll need a high-end GPU.
Or to run them at 1080p (a fine option) you'll want at least something mid-range for modern titles to run around medium settings.

The i3 is a dual core(w/ hyper-threading) but does not perform like a quad-core the same way an i7 doesn't perform like an 8 core. CPUs, while not as crucial in many cases as a GPU, are still a vital part of a system when playing games and can be a bottleneck resulting in lower frames.
A quad-core such as a core i5 or amd equivalent are recommended. Personally I'm an intel person but AMD has amazing price to performance. 

Lastly your system lacks a massive storage option. Games take a lot of space and while SSDs are fast they're more commonly used as storage for your OS and programs/games that have long loading times. A 1TB HDD will go long way and are fairly priced. 

To further help you I and the rest of the community here will want to know your budget for building this system to further help you get the best performance for your dollar in our opinions. From what I can tell it appears to be a low, so in my opinion the best case may be to give yourself more time to increase your budget so that you may get an adequate gaming experience with modern titles.

Hope we can help, Mike

P.S. http://pcpartpicker.com/ is a great place to go to compare system parts and prices as well as check out other builds for reference.
Once you have a build together post the perma-link from the upper left so we can review it without the need for you to type it all out in the post. 

Thanks mike,

my budget is not a strict $500. the thing is I have never gamed in pc before (coming from console) thats why I don't know how much I will enjoy this, and I might end up needing to sell the pc. If its gonna be a noticeably different experience, $700 - $800 are ok with me to.

I alredy have an external USB 3.0 ssd, so storage will be fine.

do you have any spesific recomendations on the GPU

1080p is fine with me but how much more i would need to pay for 1440p

11 minutes ago, tTIKA said:

It'll take some researching but benchmarks are a good way to look at hard numbers of performance vs price. Most people use 3DMark, but for a quick look over I usually go to http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

*EDIT* The numbers are a bit arbitrary as to what games you will or won't be able to run at high settings since every game is different in how taxing it is on your system and they only tell you the speed of the processing unit inside the card. Games like GTA require a fast card with good amount of VRAM (video card memory) to keep the large open world running smoothly. While other games like Metro Last Light have taxing textures in game that use VRAM. For games like SWBF they have tons of lighting and particle effects as well many other graphic intense processes that require the speed of the card to be up to par to keep the frames high.*EDIT*

700-800 is a much more flexible budget to work with and can make a lot of difference, it's also important to factor in the cost of OS (which I assume is Windows)

When it comes to gaming I started on console as well and spend most of time there until I got a proper gaming PC. PC is a very open experience to gaming since you can use countless number of peripherals like mouse/key, controller (xbox and ps are supported) and just in general has a lot more to offer over the console counterparts in communities, modding, game prices, and performance. Believe me, wanting 60fps max settings will begin to become a NEED more than a WANT very quickly once you become accustomed to it haha. So I believe the increased budget is worth it.

5 minutes ago, MichaelGavel said:

It'll take some researching but benchmarks are a good way to look at hard numbers of performance vs price. Most people use 3DMark, but for a quick look over I usually go to http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

700-800 is a much more flexible budget to work with and can make a lot of difference, it's also important to factor in the cost of OS (which I assume is Windows)

When it comes to gaming I started on console as well and spend most of time there until I got a proper gaming PC. PC is a very open experience to gaming since you can use countless number of peripherals like mouse/key, controller (xbox and ps are supported) and just in general has a lot more to offer over the console counterparts in communities, modding, game prices, and performance. Believe me, wanting 60fps max settings will begin to become a NEED more than a WANT very quickly once you become accustomed to it haha. So I believe the increased budget is worth it.

Thanks mike thats was very helpful,

finally, do you have any specific recommendations for any of parts, 

a higher end with AMD or an intel( or is  Athlon X4 860K is fine)

any specific GPU?

motherboard has only 1 slot for gpu, should I spend more for a future sli (or in the future just get a single, better card)

17 minutes ago, tTIKA said:

it is much better I know its hard at first but you have to do your research and look up benchmarks on YouTube or google of the games you want to play at your resolution. The more frames the better. Games are usually playable at 60+ fps

12 minutes ago, tTIKA said:

Thanks mike thats was very helpful,

finally, do you have any specific recommendations for any of parts, 

a higher end with AMD or an intel( or is  Athlon X4 860K is fine)

any specific GPU?

motherboard has only 1 slot for gpu, should I spend more for a future sli (or in the future just get a single, better card)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GDTtjX

This is what i quickly threw together and I believe would serve as a great introduction into PC gaming.

The CPU is an i5 4460 that can handle more than a great amount of modern games and other computing functions you may also use the PC for.

The GPU is an AMD R9 380 by sapphire it has 4GB of VRAM and should be fast enough to handle most things you throw at it very well at 1080p with varying setting depending on the game.

This also has both an SSD for your OS and programs as well as a 1TB HDD for your games to be stored on.

I have also factored in the cost of OS on disk(which will require the purchasing of a cheap $15 optical drive) but you can also install windows via a boot-able flash drive (which will save you from purchasing an optical drive)

If you find yourself liking PC gaming you can easily swap the graphics card in this system for a higher-end to get better performance in modern games as well as ones to come.

The community here is great at making systems, so hear them out too and weigh your options. 

Welcome to the master race and have fun man, Mike.