HDD constantly 90-100% busy

Deli

Hi, this problem has been plaguing several(eight in total) desktops at the company office for like two months. The HDDs are always busy, like at 90-100% even when idling. I checked the task manager. The CPU(Intel i5) are at 5% and RAM at 25%(8GB). And there is no major process going on. I asked the IT department. The guy said Windows Office was updating. But it's been like this for the past two months, that the HDDs are super busy most of the time.

HDD are Seagate Barracuda 1TB at less than 50% full. Most of the data are stored at the company central server and data center. However there are some files stored locally. With the HDD constantly running at 100% for doing nothing. It's hard to access some local files, and getting very annoying. System maintenance is done by the our IT department. So it's a bit out of my hand.

Never seen this happening with my own PC. Guys at our office couldn't figure out what's going on.

When you go to your task manager it will tell you what process is using the disc as indicated by a % figure.

However this is typical behavior of malware as well.  

it might be some background program that's constantly writing/reading. Check taskmanager to see what's causing it.

But in my case it was just my hard drive being super slow.

1 hour ago, JWMutant said:

When you go to your task manager it will tell you what process is using the disc as indicated by a % figure.

However this is typical behavior of malware as well.  

We did look at the task manager. Nothing looked out of place. Like I said, evening when idling, all processes are at 0%. The HDDs would still working at 90-100%.

One month ago, we did hit by ransomware. However we have backup to restore the system, so there is no major damage done. At least that appears to be the case. The system admin said virus scan returns nothing. Although there might be something else slips through.

There is a quick and easy way to see what process use the disk/s using https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

The program is free and completely portable.

For example from my pc:

Fu561c1.png

Its clearly visible which process uses resources. :)

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

1 hour ago, Belgarionbg said:

There is a quick and easy way to see what process use the disk/s using https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

The program is free and completely portable.

For example from my pc:

Its clearly visible which process uses resources. :)

Looks like exactly what I need. Big thanks. :-)