PCIe limit

Go to solution Solved by xiej,

Hi guys, I've got an Intel i7-4790K which has a maximum of 16 PCIe lanes. I've also got a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 G1 Gaming and an Intel 750 SSD which takes PCIe 3.0 x8 and PCIe 3.0 x4. I would like to run a surround setup with 3 screens and therefor add 2 screens. But I don't think my GPU could take Battlefield like that so I would have to add a graphics card more. But then I would have 2 GPUs needing at least 8 lanes each (as far as I understand) and a PCIe SSD taking 4 additional lanes adding up to 20 lanes which my CPU doesn't support (as I understand). Would I have to upgrade CPU and therefor also motherboard and RAM too in order to add a graphics card?

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.4GHz | RAM: G. Skill RipjawsX DDR3-2133 MHz C9 QC - 16GB | GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 G1 Gaming | PSU: Corsair AX860 | SSD: 2x Samsung 840 EVO SSD's in RAID 0

Sorry, you have to upgrade to Skylake or Haswell-E to get SLI and a PCIe SSD.

Any PSU is modular if you try hard enough....

1 minute ago, xiej said:

Sorry, you have to upgrade to Skylake or Haswell-E to get SLI and a PCIe SSD.

Will a Skylake support more PCIe lanes. In Intel Ark it seems an Intel i7-6700K will also only support 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes.

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.4GHz | RAM: G. Skill RipjawsX DDR3-2133 MHz C9 QC - 16GB | GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 G1 Gaming | PSU: Corsair AX860 | SSD: 2x Samsung 840 EVO SSD's in RAID 0

11 minutes ago, xiej said:

Nice, thank you.