New Computer.... What should I get?

Hey guys! 

I'm new to computer builds, but not new to tech.

So let me start off with why I am upgrading. A couple of days ago before I went to bed I decided I should save energy, so I turned off my computer. The next day I go back to my computer and I get a lovely windows 8.1 (because my computer didn't like windows 10) blue screen of death, of course with their stupid  :( and stuff staring you in the face... anyway long story short, I'm taking this opportunity to get (build) a new computer. This will be my first build.. and I want it to last... By which I mean I want to be able to upgrade it in the future (maybe).

These are my requirements / purposes for my computer:

• I want an SSD as the boot drive, and a HDD as regular storage
  • I need it to run games at a nice speed (so a medium graphics card) right now I have 4 monitors, none are 4k, but I need something that can run games, and spit out lots of pixels without getting mad)

<sidenote / background info>

So basically... I want to tell you what I do, so you know what kind of computer I need....

In short, I do everything... One week I play Minecraft, the next I am editing video, the next I am building a website...

I need this computer to be fast no matter what I throw at it.

</sidenote / background info>

ok so lets continue:

• I want a nice processor, not too caught up on 6 or 8 cores, as long as its fast ((I am prepared to spend a fair chunk of the budget on this)
  • Ram wise.... I have two 8gb sticks of:
    DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)

Not sure if I should keep that ram.... or get ddr4 (if the cpu supports it)

OK, well other than that (and possibly a windowed case ((window not necessary))) this is all that I require, so the most important part is the budget, my budget is between $1000 and $1400 cad, this total must include tax!

Thanks a ton!

Tr3v0r_C

I can't read this.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

Uhh, no.

Do not buy AMD for a gaming build. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Uhh, no.

Do not buy AMD for a gaming build. 

humm no amd for gaming? then why are all the intel fan boys going to the 390 over other GPU's?

1010011010/29A

humm no amd for gaming? then why are all the intel fan boys going to the 390 over other GPU's?

I am not talking about GPUs, and I am not a fanboy.

I have had 2 AMD FX CPUs, and neither (4300, 8320) could even slightly compare to my I5 4690k (OCed to 4.5)

Intel is better for gaming, and until AMDs new CPUs come out, that will remain to be the case.

As for GPUs, I may have a 970, but I will be the first to recommend a 380/390/390x over a 960/970/980.

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

I had AMD it was ok, I got intel and i will never go back!

My Rig: CPU - Intel i7 2600k OC @ 4.5 GHz | CPU Cooler - Coolermaster Hyper 212+ (Push & Pull) | Motherboard - Asus P8P67 Deluxe | RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600GPU - EVGA GTX 980 (SC) | Case - Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition | PSU - Corsair TX850W | DisplaysDell S2417DG, BenQ XL2420T | Keyboard - Logitech G213 Prodigy |  Mouse - Logitech G303 | Headset - Sennheiser PC363D | Questions? Twitter=@Mattler119 

I have had 2 AMD FX CPUs, and neither (4300, 8320) could even slightly compare to my I5 4690k (OCed to 4.5)

Intel is better for gaming, and until AMDs new CPUs come out, that will remain to be the case.

As for GPUs, I may have a 970, but I will be the first to recommend a 380/390/390x over a 960/970/980.

you said do not buy AMD for a gaming build. AMD does not mean only their CPU's. it means ANY product made by AMD 

1010011010/29A

you said do not buy AMD for a gaming build. AMD does not mean only their CPU's. it means ANY product made by AMD 

I was unclear, I apologize. 

I tend to call their GPUs Radeon anyways. 

Solitaire. 

I never said this had to be a purely gaming build! It just has to be able to handle games, if thats what I throw at it!

He explained himself, no need to be an annoying knife in his side.

I never said this had to be a purely gaming build! It just has to be able to handle games, if thats what I throw at it!

If you want to have good performance in games (and many other things that like CPU speed), please get intel.
I have an AMD processor right now, and it is heck for its price and performance.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

He explained himself, no need to be an annoying knife in his side.

-snip-

On GPUs, view a previous topic I made here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/526208-lets-take-a-vote-fanboyism-allowed/

On CPUs, look, I hate to say that one company is straight up better than another, but, for gaming at least, it is really hard to justify AMD unless you really cannot afford an I3. The numbers do not lie, Intel performs better. 

Solitaire. 

For gods sake people the op didn't ask for f-ing flame war,

*Pcpartpicker build in a minute*

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

-snip

Why would I mention any CPU as old as that, it serves no purpose.

I am comparing Intel's Haswell, Haswell-E, Broadwell and Skylake to AMDs FX-Series CPUs, which is almost always assumed.

I hate saying that one brand is better than another in every way, but the numbers do not lie. There are very few situations where an AMD CPU does better than an intel one, those few being extreme budget scenarios.

For gods sake people the op didn't ask for f-ing flame war,

*Pcpartpicker build in a minute*

Sorry.

I was going to recommend a 4690k/R9 390, perhaps go higher if budget allows.

I am afraid I do not use canadian currency often enough to have these prices memorized

Solitaire. 

Why would I mention any CPU as old as that, it serves no purpose. 

I am comparing Intel's Haswell, Haswell-E, Broadwell and Skylake to AMDs FX-Series CPUs, which is almost always assumed. 

I hate saying that one brand is better than another in every way, but the numbers do not lie. There are very few situations where an AMD CPU does better than an intel one, those few being extreme budget scenarios. 

And in those situations where AMD beats Intel, does that still make AMD worse?

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

I was unclear, I apologize. 

I tend to call their GPUs Radeon anyways. 

I do that to  :D  :P

My Rig: CPU - Intel i7 2600k OC @ 4.5 GHz | CPU Cooler - Coolermaster Hyper 212+ (Push & Pull) | Motherboard - Asus P8P67 Deluxe | RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600GPU - EVGA GTX 980 (SC) | Case - Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition | PSU - Corsair TX850W | DisplaysDell S2417DG, BenQ XL2420T | Keyboard - Logitech G213 Prodigy |  Mouse - Logitech G303 | Headset - Sennheiser PC363D | Questions? Twitter=@Mattler119 

this should suffice for what u want to do, and has the potential to upgrade in the future.

• PSU
    Aerocool Xpredator 750M, 

• Solid State Drive
    Samsung 850 Pro, 128 GB SSD
    Zwart, MZ-7KE128BW, SATA 
  •  
  • Memory
    Corsair 8 GB DDR4-2133 Kit, 
  •  
  • Processor
    Intel® Core i5-6600K, 3,5 GHz (3,9 GHz Turbo Boost) socket 1151 processor
    FC-LGA4, "Skylake"
  •  
  • Hard disk
    Western Digital Blue, 1 TB 
  •  
  • cpu cooler
    Corsair Hydro Series H75

• GPU
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G, 

• Case
    Zalman Z9 (change if u want to)

• Motherboard
    ASUS Z170-P, socket 1151
  •  
  • This will be in total around 1300 USD

unbiased opinions, away!

If you're going for energy saving or don't want a lot of heat output, AMD may not be the right choice. the R9 fury is the exception, but it can be costly. as for cores, I've found that the AMD 8350 does just fine IF you can pair it with an aftermarket cooler. without that, it will over heat during video editing (I know from experience). On the intel side, it sounds like you'll want to go for an i7, the fastest one they have. if you're not overclocking, don't bother with the K edition. for Gaming GPU and multiple monitors, this is open for debate. I feel like eyefinity from AMD is great, but like I said AMD is only recently figuring out their thermals. the R9 fury line is great and offers excellent output options. they also work well in crossfire. if that doesn't sound good, go with something along the lines of a gtx 980 or 980ti. if you plan to span your game across all of your monitors. I can't guarantee it'll run flawlessly, but it will get the job done. I can't recommend multi GPUs at the moment since many producers are shying away from support for them. your ram is most definitely fine, and there really isn't any need to go for ddr4 just yet. Software just isn't optimized for it or ridiculous amounts of ram yet. you can get a processor that supports it, and this will give you the option to upgrade ram and motherboard in the future. SSD wise, if you're pairing it with a hard disk drive, then you really don't need anymore than a 240GB SSD. most programs will not benefit from an SSD, and I've only heard of three games which benefit from it (Fallout 4 is one of them). if it's within your budget, you can get two of them and put them in raid 0 for speed or raid 1 for data security.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

And in those situations where AMD beats Intel, does that still make AMD worse?

Those situations only exist because of budget.

For any application, an Intel CPU will outperform an AMD CPU. I hate to say this, I really do, I want AMD to succeed if only to stop Intel from having a monopoly.

But numbers do not lie, Intel CPUs are more powerful.

this should suffice for what u want to do, and has the potential to upgrade in the future.

Well, a couple things:

1. This was supposed to be in CAD, including Canadian vendors.
2. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/

Solitaire. 

I will always buy intel. I think they last long. I had a AMD i replaced it 3 years later. I've had my 2600k for the past 6 years lol and still running games, no problems at all.

unbiased opinions, away!

If you're going for energy saving or don't want a lot of heat output, AMD may not be the right choice. the R9 fury is the exception, but it can be costly. as for cores, I've found that the AMD 8350 does just fine IF you can pair it with an aftermarket cooler. without that, it will over heat during video editing (I know from experience). On the intel side, it sounds like you'll want to go for an i7, the fastest one they have. if you're not overclocking, don't bother with the K edition. for Gaming GPU and multiple monitors, this is open for debate. I feel like eyefinity from AMD is great, but like I said AMD is only recently figuring out their thermals. the R9 fury line is great and offers excellent output options. they also work well in crossfire. if that doesn't sound good, go with something along the lines of a gtx 980 or 980ti. if you plan to span your game across all of your monitors. I can't guarantee it'll run flawlessly, but it will get the job done. I can't recommend multi GPUs at the moment since many producers are shying away from support for them. your ram is most definitely fine, and there really isn't any need to go for ddr4 just yet. Software just isn't optimized for it or ridiculous amounts of ram yet. you can get a processor that supports it, and this will give you the option to upgrade ram and motherboard in the future. SSD wise, if you're pairing it with a hard disk drive, then you really don't need anymore than a 240GB SSD. most programs will not benefit from an SSD, and I've only heard of three games which benefit from it (Fallout 4 is one of them). if it's within your budget, you can get two of them and put them in raid 0 for speed or raid 1 for data security.

Holy block of text batman!

Having had an 8320 with an aftermarket cooler, I can say that my I5 beats it.
It overclocked better, runs cooler, and performs better.

Now, when DX12 becomes the norm, this may change, as more cores will suddenly be more useful.

As for this build specifically, I do not believ an I7 fits the budget (again, Don't know prices in Canada)

My apologies then, i didnt think there would be a huge difference in price

Even if the currencies are similar, there are import prices in other countries that the US doesnt have.

An I7 in canada may run for 100 USD more than in the US

Solitaire. 

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/bCQyJx

This should do,

a few things.

- The cooler is would mainly be temporary if you plan to overclock id suggest upgrading to an AIO

- The os win 8.1 could be upgraded to 10 if wanted

- You have around $100 dollars to spend on a case since they usually fall under personal prefrence

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

Give me an application, any application. 

Also, please stop calling me that.

I had an AMD FX for my first CPU, I am no fanboy!

im pretty sure alot of people had a AMD for they're first PC lol I had a good old Phenom II x4 955