How do I set Core Voltage To Adaptive

SAT01

I just OCed my i5 4690k to 4.5GHz with 1.240Volts. All is well with the computer and everything is running well, however, now that I am done Overclocking, I want to set my Voltage to adaptive to save power, How do I do this and what should I set it to

It depends on your board. I leave mine at fixed for stability

I have An ASUS Z97-A

I have An ASUS Z97-A

Haswell Low Power Modes

Cpu ratio mode- Dynamic

Enhanced Turbo- Enabled

CPU core voltage mode- Adaptive

CPU ring voltage mode- Adaptive

Intel C-state – Enabled

C1E Support- Enabled

Package C-state limit - Auto

for windows users also make sure you set your minimum processor state to 5%

Windows7

->Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

-->Change Advanced Power settings

--->Processor Power Management

---->Minimmum Processor state

-on battery 5%

-plugged in 5%

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that you want to keep your voltage fixed if you are overclocking. If you have set your multiplier and found a stable voltage that you are comfortable with you should leave it be. If you set voltage back to adaptive the system could decide to push too much juice to the chip and potentially damage it. I believe that it's only really safe to use adaptive voltage at stock clocks. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that you want to keep your voltage fixed if you are overclocking. If you have set your multiplier and found a stable voltage that you are comfortable with you should leave it be. If you set voltage back to adaptive the system could decide to push too much juice to the chip and potentially damage it. I believe that it's only really safe to use adaptive voltage at stock clocks. 

As long as you monitor the under load voltage it is perfectly fine.

Rig: 5950X | ROG VIII Formula | 6900XT
Laptop: 5900HX | 6800M | 16GB

only some stress testing softwares will make the CPU act up like that (namely prime 95 and AIDA64) so just DO NOT run stress testing tools with adaptative voltages and it will be fine. (intel XTU is fine with adaptative though)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

adaptive mode is only set manually. when you make the adjustment to voltage

within the UEFI, it will automatically go to the static voltage mode.

i have the 97A and that is what happens when you overclock manually. if you

use the overclocking utility in the UEFI or software (AI3) this will use the adaptive

voltage mode.