Galaxy Note 3 gets a Micro USB 3.0 connector. Brings faster charging over USB and a more robust connector.

I look at it this way, they should have went with something proprietary. I hate proprietary connectors as much as anyone but think of it this way, the average user doesn't own a USB-3 micro connector anyways so it's not like they have mass popularity to work with. With a proprietary connector, they could have fixed the reliability issues and made it any shape they wanted and even added extended functionality. Just my 2 cents I suppose :)

There isn't really much extra functionality you can add, and the benefit of micro-USB 3.0 is that it's backwards compatible with micro-USB 2.0, which is a very big deal.

It would be nice with a new (open, not proprietary) standard for phones since micro-USB 2.0 is becoming outdated very quickly, and micro-USB 3.0 is too big for a lot of phones.

There isn't really much extra functionality you can add, and the benefit of micro-USB 3.0 is that it's backwards compatible with micro-USB 2.0, which is a very big deal.

It would be nice with a new (open, not proprietary) standard for phones since micro-USB 2.0 is becoming outdated very quickly, and micro-USB 3.0 is too big for a lot of phones.

Yeah I understand that completely but disagree. I have used micro usb devices for quite some time and had a lot of cables/connectors go bad. Some have been Micro usb 3. It's a completely unreliable connector, and on top of that, it's not at all popular. Companies have stuck with Micro usb because it's popular, I believed samsung could adopt a new connector rather than going with an 'open' standard one.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!