Building a laptop

ker2015

My friend is thinking of getting a new PC and I offered to help him build it and save money. The thing is, he really likes laptops. I told him that it would be fun to try to build a laptop and save as much money as possible. So I need some suggestions on building a laptop. Should I use an APU to save room? Will desktop mobos fit? Is this even a good idea?

Thanks in advance,

Chickenpuffball

Nope, cant build laptops. Almost all parts are tailor-made to fit/work with the chassis by OEMs. Not like desktops with standard ATX specifications

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

No.....

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Think you're better off with having your own built PC. If he wants it to be portable, maybe a mini PC. 

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

Nope, cant build laptops.

You can if you already have one. Just use the case and display and build the rest.

Building a laptop will be very hard.

You will have to source:

Laptop barebones kit,

Laptop Ram

Laptop GPU if the kit supports it

Laptop CPU, 

SSD.

Some of those things will be easy to find, like the ram and the SSD, but the rest will be very hard to find and also hard to check compatibility. 

I've built laptops out of parts before. Hell, I used to have a Latitude E6500 that I upgraded piece by piece until I had a Precision M4400. (Workstation version of the E6500, more powerful.)

An actual custom laptop would end up looking like a bunch of computer parts taped into a briefcase. Probably.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

You can build a laptop, but you probably shouldnt. Chances are you arent going to save any monney, and end up with a really bulky and thick machine.

The issue with building laptops is the amount of proprietary connections and form factors used. There's basically no standards for parts like the GPU connector, as most are custom made for different systems. 

While it may be interesting, it's certainly won't be cheap or easy. Going for a portable mITX rig is about as close as you'd get without going through a big ordeal of sourcing compatible parts. 

My friend is thinking of getting a new PC and I offered to help him build it and save money. The thing is, he really likes laptops. I told him that it would be fun to try to build a laptop and save as much money as possible. So I need some suggestions on building a laptop. Should I use an APU to save room? Will desktop mobos fit? Is this even a good idea?

Thanks in advance,

Chickenpuffball

No.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Thanks in advance,

Chickenpuffball

A laptop would be even more expensive...

Any PSU is modular if you try hard enough....

Building a laptop will be very hard.

You will have to source:

Laptop barebones kit,

Laptop Ram

Laptop GPU if the kit supports it

Laptop CPU,

SSD.

Some of those things will be easy to find, like the ram and the SSD, but the rest will be very hard to find and also hard to check compatibility.

Would it work if I took an older laptop and upgraded every part of it?

You can build a laptop, but you probably shouldnt. Chances are you arent going to save any monney, and end up with a really bulky and thick machine.

Why would it be bulky? If I do everything right and use an old shell + correct parts it should be as heavy as a normal laptop. Or is there something I'm missing out on?

Would it work if I took an older laptop and upgraded every part of it?

Look mate, trying to build a laptop isn't feasible, both in terms of fitting the hardware and financially. Laptop hardware is purpose made for the chassis it's designed for, so laptop parts aren't really swappable (with the exception of the RAM and storage). Building a laptop in the same way you would a desktop just isn't going to happen.

Then we get onto the heat of the components. This is something laptop manufacturers really have to consider, they have to be able to design a cooling system which is both compact and good enough to cool the CPU and GPU. 

The harsh reality is that you won't be able to. There are some decent laptop options on the market. LTT recently did a video on the Inspiron 7559, which ALMOST made me consider buying a laptop. Almost. There are other options as well, but that question is better asked of @don_svetlio

The alternative is building a small form factor rig.

What will your friend be using the PC for?

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Look mate, trying to build a laptop isn't feasible, both in terms of fitting the hardware and financially. Laptop hardware is purpose made for the chassis it's designed for, so laptop parts aren't really swappable (with the exception of the RAM and storage). Building a laptop in the same way you would a desktop just isn't going to happen.

Then we get onto the heat of the components. This is something laptop manufacturers really have to consider, they have to be able to design a cooling system which is both compact and good enough to cool the CPU and GPU. 

The harsh reality is that you won't be able to. There are some decent laptop options on the market. LTT recently did a video on the Inspiron 7559, which ALMOST made me consider buying a laptop. Almost. There are other options as well, but that question is better asked of @don_svetlio

The alternative is building a small form factor rig.

What will your friend be using the PC for?

Quite a few more recent laptops have MXM GPUs so they are also upgradeable. If you can get a MQ CPU that will also be upgradeable.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Why would it be bulky? If I do everything right and use an old shell + correct parts it should be as heavy as a normal laptop. Or is there something I'm missing out on?

Immagine this, you have a full tower pc. It has a ton of extra space in it. That extra space is to accomodate big graphics cards right? Say you get the smallest case you can find, and it supports a 8" GPU, and u have a 4" GPU. Thats space wasted, making your pc bigger then needed.