Rate These Two Builds? Power Supply Question?

DennisNedry97

980 rig:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rw2QXL

980ti rig:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8BTBwP

The idea was to have a gaming/streaming build for up to $1705 that will kill 1080p and will have wattage requirements to do SLI in the future when I plan to make the jump to either 1440p or 4K. The main question is power supplies.

I am planning to push the 4790k to 4.5ghz and the graphics card to the maximum 100% stable overclock. For each build I selected the PSU based on the recommendations by pcpartpicker.com, however I am not sure if that is enough based on the overclocking and extra wattage from other things. I already have a gaming mouse and keyboard (courtesy of Eagle Tec) along with the Fatality gaming headset. I would be running the system for 16-18 hours a day most of the time at idle or small load but other times on near max load. My most demanding title is the Witcher 3 which I want to run with special texture packs, shaders and also full hairworks.

In 980ti everything look great but in 980 ones you should replace the PSU as it not that good(The NEX 650). I would say going with 980ti and you won't regret it. 

Magical Pineapples

What about this, it has a PSU fit for powering two 980Tis:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($639.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX Core Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor  ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1711.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-26 20:07 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

The GTX 980 build would be better off with something around 700W. The G2 750W of the Ti build would do nicely.

Two GTX 980 Ti would push a 750W psu to its limit. An 850W unit would be the minimum I would suggest. EVGA SuperNOVA 850, (G2 850W), would be an excellent choice.

The fan on the cpu cooler overhangs the first memory slot. Clearance under the fan is under 36mm. Sniper memory modules are 42mm tall. There is insufficient room in the case to adjust the fan upwards. The memory kit could use the 2nd and 4th memory slots. But adding another memory kit might be problematic.

I would not bother getting a hybrid drive for general storage.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

So would 850W do the job for the 980ti build if i was going to SLI in the future? I like the EVGA PSUs because the G version has red PCI cables (not the G2). I also like the red/black look to the build.

First off a little ranting about price conundrums:

As far as x99 goes I have heard the 5820k is terrible at overclocking and in addition to ram with x99 board price premiums because of quad channel memory and higher power consumption I decided not to consider x99 as a viable option. Although if you can tell me with certainty that the 5820k can reach a similar overclock as the 4790k without changing the cooler to anything too expensive I would be fine with x99 as it would be for future proof until Broadwell-E comes out in the coming months.

My thoughts on Skylake are kind of negative. With Microsoft pushing windows 10 and since I only have windows 7 ultimate at my disposal it looks bleak at best for the future of people who like Windows 7 in a gaming rig. I also hate that the i7 6700k carries a $100 price premium in comparison to the 4790k with Z170 boards that support SLI being ~$50 more expensive than the Z97 counterparts. Thankfully dual channel DDR4 is now about the same price as competing DDR3 so it is possible to at least save a little when researching skylake builds.

Next CPU cooler:

brob, you said that the cpu cooler would overhang the first memory slot. Would this also be true if I oriented the fan to blow out the back of the case? if so what would you recommend that is around this price point that would deliver similar cooling performance.

So would 850W do the job for the 980ti build if i was going to SLI in the future? I like the EVGA PSUs because the G version has red PCI cables (not the G2). I also like the red/black look to the build.

First off a little ranting about price conundrums:

As far as x99 goes I have heard the 5820k is terrible at overclocking and in addition to ram with x99 board price premiums because of quad channel memory and higher power consumption I decided not to consider x99 as a viable option. Although if you can tell me with certainty that the 5820k can reach a similar overclock as the 4790k without changing the cooler to anything too expensive I would be fine with x99 as it would be for future proof until Broadwell-E comes out in the coming months.

My thoughts on Skylake are kind of negative. With Microsoft pushing windows 10 and since I only have windows 7 ultimate at my disposal it looks bleak at best for the future of people who like Windows 7 in a gaming rig. I also hate that the i7 6700k carries a $100 price premium in comparison to the 4790k with Z170 boards that support SLI being ~$50 more expensive than the Z97 counterparts. Thankfully dual channel DDR4 is now about the same price as competing DDR3 so it is possible to at least save a little when researching skylake builds.

Next CPU cooler:

brob, you said that the cpu cooler would overhang the first memory slot. Would this also be true if I oriented the fan to blow out the back of the case? if so what would you recommend that is around this price point that would deliver similar cooling performance.

Most 5820k's reach 4.5 easily, and that is plenty to keep up with a 6700k in games, then destroy it in anything CPU intensive. X99 is the way to go, plus your upgrade path is the new Intel broadwell E. 10C 20T and overclockable. If you go X99, the 850 will be loaded heavily with everything overclocked to its max. I pull 450 from the wall while running fire strike combined test. So, I'd squeeze for a 1000w if you plan on sli'ing and overclock.

Edit- it isn't about the frequency that matters, it's raw performance you get at the frequency you're at. Not only does the 5820K keep up, it'll most likely last longer with newer games starting to utilize all CPU threads.

How's this. I left out what I already have. The Gigabyte mobos usually come with 4 sata cables anyway.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c8n7zy

EDIT:

I have rebuilt 2 computers, but never from scratch.

P.S. add $30 for the light kit from NZXT (Hue)

How's this. I left out what I already have. The Gigabyte mobos usually come with 4 sata cables anyway.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c8n7zy

EDIT:

I have rebuilt 2 computers, but never from scratch.

P.S. add $30 for the light kit from NZXT (Hue)

Not the best psu choice.

Noctua QVL for the GA-X99-SLI indicates the cooler is not compatible as it overhangs the first x16 PCIe slot. Further, the front fan overhangs all four memory slots on that side. I am not sure there is enough case clearance to raise the fan the 10mm needed to clear the memory modules.

The motherboard has a slot for a WiFi card and mounts for antenna connectors. It is a little more expensive, but the build would, IMO look better and would not use up an expansion slot.

Not the best psu choice.

Noctua QVL for the GA-X99-SLI indicates the cooler is not compatible as it overhangs the first x16 PCIe slot. Further, the front fan overhangs all four memory slots on that side. I am not sure there is enough case clearance to raise the fan the 10mm needed to clear the memory modules.

The motherboard has a slot for a WiFi card and mounts for antenna connectors. It is a little more expensive, but the build would, IMO look better and would not use up an expansion slot.

What do you mean by this. Use the M.2 slot?

What do you mean by this. Use the M.2 slot?

If you want WiFi, then yes. There are two M.2 slots. One is intended for a short WiFi card. You will have to check with Gigabyte for compatibility but I believe something like http://www.amazon.com/7260NGW-Intel%C2%AE-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B00GUNZUG0 will work.

If you want WiFi, then yes. There are two M.2 slots. One is intended for a short WiFi card. You will have to check with Gigabyte for compatibility but I believe something like http://www.amazon.com/7260NGW-Intel%C2%AE-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B00GUNZUG0 will work.

any drawbacks of using m.2 instead of pcie x1 for a wifi solution?

any drawbacks of using m.2 instead of pcie x1 for a wifi solution?

Not that I am aware of. One advantage is it leaves a slot free. Disadvantage is that it may not be usable in a new machine.

Not that I am aware of. One advantage is it leaves a slot free. Disadvantage is that it may not be usable in a new machine.

I also heard that I need a antenna for the m.2 solution where the Pci one has the antennae installed.

I also heard that I need a antenna for the m.2 solution where the Pci one has the antennae installed.

Some m.2 cards come as a kit with leads and antennae. Others are just the card. It is a more expensive option.

Final Form of the build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dsJtjX

The M.2(B+M) ssd is no faster than a 2.5" model. If you want better performance consider an M.2(M) ssd like the Samsung 950 Pro.