Display Driver has stopped responding and has Recovered? Need help ASAP!

Go to solution Solved by zMeul,

Could you explain what TDR is, so I know what I am dealing with?

Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) is a Windows component that restarts the display driver when the video card takes to long to respond - the default time to respond is 2s

the TDR errors have multiple causes, but the most common is a defective video card

more here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff570087(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

personally I used the TDR manipulator because Diablo3 gave me issues after a certain game update, but I haven't experienced abnormal behaviour otherwise or in other games

I don't know why I didn't post about this topic earlier, because it's been happening to me a lot.

I don't remember when or how it started, I think it was after some windows update. I all of a sudden started receiving the same message, over and over again (refer to picture), saying the the "Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered." I thought ok, my computer still works, nothing is crashing, so I should be fine, probably just a bug in windows. Then it got worse. I was doing my own thing one day, playing good ol' League of Legends and the sort, and constantly, CONSTANTLY, my computer would freeze for a while, like a minute or 2, and then after it stops being frozen, it displays the message. "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered." It is really getting on my nerve and I need someone to help! I don't really have much experience in graphics drivers and stuff, so I googled some stuff but none of the solutions have worked for me.

Here are some of the things that I have already tried doing:

1) Going into regedit and creating a QWord 64 bit TdrDelay with a value of 8 (I also tried 10)

2) Reinstalling drivers with a clean installation, reverting back to old drivers, trying hotfixes

3) Rebooting computer (#1 solution!)

Nothing has worked. I opened up my computer and everything, nothing seems wrong. The fans for my graphics driver is working, I mean it's not like anything is overheating.

In the pictures provided, you can see the temperatures of my hardware while idle and while gaming, the error message, and info about my rig.

post-126988-0-05814200-1453831376.png

This is the error message that pops up, it pops up whenever I play a game, even when I am idle and browsing the web, my computer freezes and then displays this message

post-126988-0-04351700-1453831436_thumb.

My temps while idle

post-126988-0-25518300-1453831455_thumb.

My temps while in Garry's Mod

post-126988-0-48488100-1453831476_thumb.

My specifications. One thing to note is that I do have 3 monitors, an Apple Cinema Display, an HP L2045w, and an HP 2035, I have all my drivers updated.

Please provide help if you have any advice! Thanks.

Reset any overclocks if any.

I haven't done any overclocking since I got this computer last year. Is there anyway to check if my computer did some automatic overclocking?

I haven't done any overclocking since I got this computer last year. Is there anyway to check if my computer did some automatic overclocking?

Nvidia cards boost themselves if thermals and such allow... I'm not sure how to stop that (if it does happen) because AMD user here.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

try reinstalling the newest version of nvidia firmware not from geforce experience but from the website itself

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

use TDR manipulator utility: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8&sid=897474a6c441b59ac84834af8daf76a4 and disable TDR completely

but!, if you encounter other abnormal behaviour something is defective in your system, quite possibly the video card

Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) is a Windows component that restarts the display driver when the video card takes to long to respond - the default time to respond is 2s

the TDR errors have multiple causes, but the most common is a defective video card

more here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff570087(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

personally I used the TDR manipulator because Diablo3 gave me issues after a certain game update, but I haven't experienced abnormal behaviour otherwise or in other games

Did it happened after 361.43?

Uninstall the GPU driver completely via Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU).

Then download the complete new driver from the Nvidia website. Reset if any overclocks. And check with the results.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Then download the complete new driver from the Nvidia website. Reset if any overclocks. And check with the results.

Ok so I just downloaded 361.43 from the website, hopefully no more error messages. I will post whether or not I get the message. I am pretty sure I got the error message after either a windows update or a graphics driver update. Thanks.

I just tried this. Got the error message a little later :(

I just tried this. Got the error message a little later :(

Alright, Looks like the driver is the problem.

Download 359.06 and Install it.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Alright, Looks like the driver is the problem.

Download 359.06 and Install it.

Just got the error message again.

snip

I wouldn’t worry that much because when i had windows 10 i had that SO MUCH but my pc is running completely fine! and is healthy!

:D

I wouldn’t worry that much because when i had windows 10 i had that SO MUCH but my pc is running completely fine! and is healthy!

:D

yeah i thought i would be fine too until my computer started freezing and then displaying the message afterwards...