Ok guys,

I would like to build experiment with this build. It has to be beginner OC-friendly and $800 or under. I'm not sure if that would be possible for an intel build. This is just an experimental build, so if I break/damage/shock, etc said parts, I won't have any real regrets because they are cheap and not a $200 motherboard, cpu, gpu that I have ruined from mistakes. This would be a learning build pretty much.

This idea has been stuck in my head for a while now. I was hoping to get some ideas on how to do this or whether to just go to a PC store and buy an out of the box crap build and go that route. Then again, box PC's really aren't meant for OC-ING ( I think.) There might be one or two PC's that are overclock-able, but not within my budget.

I already have a C70 Vengeance (arctic white) case, but am thinking of saving that for my main gaming PC once I get around to ordering the rest of the parts ( and if I ever get a chance to build it.)

So, can y'all help me out? Have you guys ever done something like this? Let me know and thank you in advance.

-Deepia :)  :)

I don't mean to start a debate war, but is an Intel chip easier to OC than AMD or is it the other way around?

4690k or 6600k would be your choices

or

g3258

(on the intel side)

i know nothing about amd chips

edit:

z97 or z170 board. some h81 and some b85 allow you to overclock

BigDay

Would probably be best to buy used if you're looking for something to mess around with without worrying too much about breaking anything.  

4690k or 6600k would be your choices

or

g3258

(on the intel side)

i know nothing about amd chips

edit:

z97 or z170 board. some h81 and some b85 allow you to overclock

i wouldn't even go for amd. Their cpu's are shit atm. Let's see what Zen cpu's have to offer

Ok guys,

I would like to build experiment with this build. It has to be beginner OC-friendly and $800 or under. I'm not sure if that would be possible for an intel build. This is just an experimental build, so if I break/damage/shock, etc said parts, I won't have any real regrets because they are cheap and not a $200 motherboard, cpu, gpu that I have ruined from mistakes. This would be a learning build pretty much.

This idea has been stuck in my head for a while now. I was hoping to get some ideas on how to do this or whether to just go to a PC store and buy an out of the box crap build and go that route. Then again, box PC's really aren't meant for OC-ING ( I think.) There might be one or two PC's that are overclock-able, but not within my budget.

I already have a C70 Vengeance (arctic white) case, but am thinking of saving that for my main gaming PC once I get around to ordering the rest of the parts ( and if I ever get a chance to build it.)

So, can y'all help me out? Have you guys ever done something like this? Let me know and thank you in advance.

-Deepia :)  :)

I don't mean to start a debate war, but is an Intel chip easier to OC than AMD or is it the other way around?

AMD is easier to OC from what I've seen.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

i wouldn't even go for amd. Their cpu's are shit atm. Let's see what Zen cpu's have to offer

i agree

i would never buy an amd chip

unless i needed a budget oriented workstation

BigDay

No they aren't, they do just fine.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Is there a good used PC Parts website that anyone knows of? I know I can get stuff from LTT, Amazon and ebay, but anywhere else?

Is there a good used PC Parts website that anyone knows of? I know I can get stuff from LTT, Amazon and ebay, but anywhere else?

Overclock.net etc just have a good look around.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Overclock.net etc just have a good look around.

Much appreciated!!

They are generations behind intel

Hasn't stopped me gaming at good FPS, doesn't stop people on older gen intels either so that argument is pointless. They are weaker on single core performance true enough but it doesn't matter. OP wants to overclock, an AMD is a good place to start considering you can pick them up cheap as chips.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

So, do you think this is a good idea, bad idea, or just a plan to epicly fail?

Rig ideas?

Honestly I don't see any issue with going for an AMD build.  You can get brand new (i mean literally new not new as in release date) chips for cheap, they're overclockable, and they're well established in the community.  You would be better off going with a newer AMD chip like something from the FX series, than trying to pick up something like a i7 2600k, yes the 2600k is a much better performer than any FX series processor but a USED 2600k can run you anywhere from $140-$200 on ebay.  The topic is not what performs best but which would be best to fuck around with, I'm not even a fan of AMD but I can still see the value in them in this instance.  I still maintain that you would be better off buying used parts to save the most money, but buying new is certainly an option.

And to answer your question about what brand overclocks easier, every processor from every company will overclock differently.  In other words, no two chips are made equal.  You can have two of the same chips from the same company and they will both overclock differently, it's called the silicone lottery and you just have to get lucky.

This is probably what I would recommend as far as a cheap overclocker build goes.  I know you said you really only wanted something to screw around with but I figured I'd work out a gaming configuration just to demonstrate how you can do a cheap build without having to sacrifice the ability to game or whatever it is you want to do.  In all honesty though, you probably don't have to worry much about bricking your rig when trying out overclocking.  The chances of you doing so are pretty slim so long as you're not trying some ludicrous overclock settings.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ OutletPC) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($94.89 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($178.98 @ Newegg) 

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Micro Center) 

Total: $674.06

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-26 01:09 EST-0500

I think for an experimental rig I will go with AMD and from there based on performance I can decide to either stick with AMD or make an Intel build. We will see.

@IgnorantBastard thank you for the silicone lottery information. I think I have read those words somewhere.

I think for an experimental rig I will go with AMD and from there based on performance I can decide to either stick with AMD or make an Intel build. We will see.

@IgnorantBastard thank you for the silicone lottery information. I think I have read those words somewhere.