CoolerMaster Hyper T4 on ASUS M5A99X EVO issues (ghetto fix)

debro

Hello everyone!

So I have had this PC for over a year now, running with the stock AMD cooler. And even though the temps never went too high (I believe the max was 65°C or so), the noise that little f*cker makes is highly annoying.

So I started looking for a nice aftermarket cooling solution in the very limited (and expensive) argentinian market.

I have an 6 years old Thermaltake Soprano RS 101 case, and it's not the biggest case you can get, so I was worried about having enough clearance for the cooler.

The affordable options I had were the Coolermaster Hyper T4 and the 212 EVO. I know the EVO is better, but I was affraid it would be too tall. I checked both manufacturer's sites and I was supposed to get just 4mm clearance for the 212... too tight to risk it. Anyway... I don't overclock (my PSU is already on the limit) so I just needed something a bit quieter than the stock cooler, so I went with the T4.

The height clearance was ideal, i got about 1cm of space between the fan and the side panel.

The issue was... I have 4 sticks of Gskill Sniper RAM, and those have a medium height heatsinks... the goddamn cooler bumped against the closest stick.

My original idea was to mount it vertical, pulling air to the left, into the exhaust fan, but the T4, when used with AMD boards, uses the stock mounting brackets to hold it in place. So it HAS to be horizontal, so I opted to place it blowing air to the top (the PSU in my dated case).

Here is my GHETTO solution to the RAM clearing issues:

NE7vNPx.jpg

Away with the memory heatsinks! (somehow needed, because those are 1866mhz sticks... but what gives...)

It came really close:

qIYnuVe.jpg

Nevermind the dust :P

Some more pictures:

VPSXfAM.jpg

pHDEY4j.jpg

The fan actually didn't go all the way down, so it sticks out a bit. This is due to the ram, but strangely enough, also due to the plastic pressure bracket that comes with the T4...

oZBZA2G.jpg

Anyway, there it is:

5QoBGvG.jpg

I tested the system with some games and movies, not too long, but the temp seems OK but not as good as I expected... I hope the cooler is making enough pressure into the CPU :o

25yb1vC.jpg

I'll test it a little bit longer with HWMonitor on... And see what happens.

Any suggestions? Something you'd change? Am I crazy? :P (anything aside replacing the cooler... what's done is done :P)

In case you are wondering, here are my 1050p gaming rig specs:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 (@stock 4.0Ghz)

RAM: 4x4Gb Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz

GPU: ZOTAC GTX 960 Amp!

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

Boot: SAMSUNG 250Gb 840 EVO SSD

Storage: WD Green 2TB

PSU: Antec VP450 (450W)

CASE: Thermaltake Soprano RS

FANS: 2 Antec TrueQuiet 120mm (1 front intake - 1 back exhaust)

SNIP

Basically you chopped up your ram heatsink because you mounted the T4 wrong?

I apologise, it seems that the T4 is garbage and doesn't come with a proper mount and uses the AMD stock mount...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Basically you chopped up your ram heatsink because you mounted the T4 wrong?

I apologise, it seems that the T4 is garbage and doesn't come with a proper mount and uses the AMD stock mount...

Yeah I thought it was like the 212... but nope, it just comes with a pressure bracket that resembles the one in the stock cooler.

Yeah I thought it was like the 212... but nope, it just comes with a pressure bracket that resembles the one in the stock cooler.

That is literal aids.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

That is literal aids.

It could be worse, at least it's quiet :P

Last night I was messing around with HWinfo and suddenly I realized only 12 gigs of RAM were recognized... goddamn!

I died a little...  :wacko:

Happily all it took was for me to reseat the stick and it worked... *sigh*

• 3 months later...

Lol I have the same cooler but I have Low profile RAM so problem fixed